SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:15 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
White 8, the second 30X-UAV EDF, is finally coming together. It's first objective is to test the 10x15mm motor.
I spent some time setting the plane up for the Westechnik servos only to decide on using a different servo.
Since I'm using less voltage and current I'm going to use the same 2S 240 mah pack that I use in the 30X Pusher instead of the 3S 360 pack I used in the first EDF. The picture that shows the battery pack also shows the carbon landing gear.
Roy E Oetting is offline Find More Posts by Roy E Oetting
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:24 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
I got a little work done today. I made up the steerable nose wheel and fit the servos. In the one picture, of the plane, it shows the jig that I used to cut blue foam saddles to surround the fan housing. One saddle is shown.
I've also enclosed a picture of the test stand that I use for testing thrust.
I've added another picture showing the jig and the resulting saddle. The yellow on the edge of the fan housing was highlighted to show an area I filed flat to fit the plane. Using the saddle reduces the stress applied to the housing which reduces the chance of distorting the housing and having impeller interference.
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Sep 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:05 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
White 8 is waiting for good weather for flight testing. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be cold calm and sunny.
The exhaust tube looks small compared to the plane. I dropped the bottom aft section to allow me to move components. If the plane seem to have excess drag I'll replace that section with the original design.
The 10 mm motor produced just over half the thrust that the 12 mm motor. The 12 mm version had well over a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio.V2 the 10 mm version has approximately a 0.8:1 ratio. All up weight is 69.3 g.
I'll let you know how the flight test went.
Roy
Old Oct 01, 2009, 07:20 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
White 8 was tested today. The flights were unsat due to a lack of power and the plane being tail heavy. There were a total of four flights. Flight 2 was videoed and flights 1 & 3 looked just like flight 2. Before flight 3 I cut about a 1/4 inch off of the exhaust tube. Flight 4, I moved the CG forward and the plane began to fly better. I got to a height of about 50 feet when in a steep bank the nose went up and the plane stalled. This could indicate I don't have enough tail power or that the CG needs to go further forward. Before the next test flight (several days from now) I'll make up some temporary vertical fins that I can clip on and see if the nose up tendency goes away. I'll also experiment with the CG.
I'm also going ahead with the building of Yellow 8 to test the 6 bladed impeller.
Roy

10mm Motor Test 1 (0 min 43 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:07 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Since I'm not satisfied with the 10 mm motor in the 30X-UAV I'm designing a twin. It follows a typical format and it is ugly too. It will serve two purposes - 1. determine the feasibility of a scale twin 30 mm plane and 2. It will test the airframe configuration for a camera plane which will be 2 times bigger. The camera plane is where the plane gets the bulging cockpit area. I wanted a design that keeps the camera above the battery in the event of a crash the camera will have a better chance of surviving. The intent is to have a slower EDF for video combat. I'm falling behind on this project and it needs to be moved up on my priorities list. I'll start another thread when I get a little further along. I should be starting to assemble the airframe tomorrow. Components became available yesterday when I crashed my 30X pusher into a curb on takeoff.
Roy
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
i like this design roy!
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:58 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
i like this design roy!
Thanks, It should have been done a long time ago. I've printed out all the parts so it is just a matter of cutting them out and assembling them. I'm going to work on it today.
I just added some pics of the plane's parts.
Roy
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Oct 19, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
Camarillo California
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
watching your thread with interest. Nice little plane. keep up the good work!
Kayaker1 is offline Find More Posts by Kayaker1
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:20 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker1
watching your thread with interest. Nice little plane. keep up the good work!
Thanks, I really need to get this twin EDF done by the time the winds die down.
Nice looking Kayak.
Roy
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
What are you printing on, and what are you using to do it?
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:52 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
What are you printing on, and what are you using to do it?
I tried several products from a company called Papillio in Texas. http://texascraft.com/hps/home.php
The one that seems to work best for me is called Canvas Transfer which uses a pressure sensitive adhesive that allows you to apply a thin film to Depron or as the name implies even canvas.
I use an inexpensive Epson printer, Stylus CX 4700, to print my drawing on and then I spray it with the adhesive and then I uses some boards and weights to press it onto the Depron. After that you peel off the backing, hopefully you get a nice transfer. It works almost all the time. I've had ink that dissolved the film. There is drying time of at least a half hour between printing and spraying, spraying and pressing, and another half hour between pressing and peeling off the backing. I usually do two 8-1/2 x 11 sheets at a time.
The advantage of doing this over screen printing is the accuracy and simplicity . In order to approach the color range that you can get with Canvas Transfer using screen printing, you would need to use a 4 dye sublimation method which isn't practical for a modeler to do in his workshop.
It isn't inexpensive. Each sheet costs me over $2 to produce (transfer sheet and ink) . The 30X uses 4 sheets. The Stealth uses 8.
I hope to use this material in combination with one Papillio's decal sheets to build a scale plane. The drawing is in the works.
Roy