SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:53 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2
Roy- The pdf unzipped and loaded fine for me. Effortless. That's more than I can say for many files I've tried to open on RCG!
Thanks for letting me know. Now I can do the other sheets.
Roy
Roy E Oetting is offline Find More Posts by Roy E Oetting
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:35 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Here are sheets 3 & 4. The one set of parts is just printed on white paper and stuck to the Depron to cut out the parts and then it is peeled off (everything in red box). The other sheet contains the bottom parts and the top piece that is bent down over the truss. It is much longer than it needs to be and I left it long so I could choose the finish.
If anyone has any questions, please ask.
I made the main landing gear different than shown on the plans. I used a piece of 3/16 square hardwood and drilled 2 holes in it at 45 degrees on both ends. I then pushed the carbon rods into the holes and glued them with CA. I then laid the part on the drawing and spot glued the cross member. I then lifted the assembly off the drawing and wrapped the joints where the cross member is glued to the struts. I used Kevlar thread but that is probably an over kill. There are closeups of the original landing gear style and the second landing gear that I prefer (gear with wider stance). http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1073542&page=2
The photos are listed as old and new undercarriage. The drawings don't show a steerable nose wheel which I wound up using on the pusher. I think a steerable nose wheel makes it more fun.
Roy
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:48 PM
I Can Fly An FP Inverted!
Teddington, Middlesex, UK
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
thanks for putting the plans up, i will make one as soon as i smash up the plane i just finished building about an hour ago, it uses the losi 10250 and a 2.5x1 prop, i took a lot of inspiration from this model and the pusher, especially that air intake on the top - love it.

I built this plane to test an ar6200 reciever i just finished repairing, its wayyy too big and heavy for the plane, but i dont care so much about destroying it if my repair doesnt hold up (need the rx for a big heli)
Hal_The_Hacker is offline Find More Posts by Hal_The_Hacker
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:55 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Where's a picture Hal?
I've been using the AR6300 and that is really nice for planes this size or even bigger. The AR6400 would be nice if the plane was designed around a smaller motor/battery.
Right now I'm using a two cell 360 in my pusher but I think I'll go to a 2S 240 Hyperion battery which I will make up myself from cells. That will save a little weight.
Good luck with your plane.
Roy
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:20 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Yeah the ar6200 is wayyyyy too big and heavy, 6300 is perfect for a plane like this, i dont think the servos in the 6400 are quite up to a plane like this however.

this plane is based off of yours, the vulcan, the concorde and other similar shaped aircraft i like the look of

the air intake at the back uses the coanda effect for those of you wondering.

this is actually the first plane I have ever designed in my life even as a small child i copied existing aircraft, never came up with one myself, always wanted to however.

still trying to come up with a name, currently I quite like the sound of 'Pulse XT' and it fits on my dx7 model name without abbreviation

maiden coming as soon as the wind dies down (40+ mph gusts at the moment )

sorry for posting so many pics
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:39 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Nice job Hal! My only concern would be the color. I have a problem with mine and yesterday morning I said to someone standing next to me "The next one will have more color."
Do you feel comfortable with where you have your CG?
Will you have some reflex in your elevons for your test flight.
After looking at it , you may not have enough vertical stab to compensate for the long nose. If that is the case the plane will veer off in yaw.
I'm including a picture for your consideration. I've located a target on your plane to represent the maximum aft CG and the target is located approximately at 20% of the aerodynamic mean. What do you think?
How much does she weigh and what is the wing area?
Nice pics too.
Roy
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Sep 04, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 06:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
thank you for your kind words.

it DEFINATELY needs a paintjob, I have a 1.2m bipelane made from the same shade depron and that thing is hard to see

thanks for your CG approxamation, thats a bit further forward than i was thinking.

this is actually my first delta, so I am still learning, I had a zagi as my first plane, so that helped me with elevons.

why might a plane like this need reflex in the elevons?

not enough vertical stabiliser? well I will fly it and if i find i get yaw issues then i can just slice of the fuse mounted stabs and cut out larger ones.

wing area is about 330cm^2

auw I have not measured, but i reckon it is about 40-50g, the esc is a cc10, i only had spare 4.3g servos so there are two of them and the battery is about 14g I think (made up from two cells - again not weighed)
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:45 PM
Burner!!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jun 2005
1,054 Posts
before you name it you may want to look here:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4100
PlaneCrazee is online now Find More Posts by PlaneCrazee
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:46 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazee
before you name it you may want to look here:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4100
ah, hehe, i thought the name sounded similar. I actually meant to google it but forgot
Old Sep 05, 2009, 12:54 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Hi Hal, Sorry for the delay on responding. I spent over 4 hours in the emergency room yesterday and since I've got back I've been sleeping. I think it is the flu. The doctor said it is diverticulitis. In either case I'm taking an antibiotic. The reason I went to ER is that my temperature continued to rise and if it went a little higher I could have gone into shock. About a half hour ago I woke up sweating and thought the fever had passed but it is still over a 100 F.
When the wing produces lift it has a tendency to pitch down so the main reason to put reflex in the wing (a little up elevator) is to compensate for that pitching down. There is another possible problem with your plane. Your thrust angle is parallel to the wing and wing produces drag and you wind up with another pitching moment. I would wedge the motor so the thrust line pointed toward the center of pressure. This eliminates the pitching force. Since your thrust is going to vary the pitching force will vary too. This can bite you on final when you throttle back and the nose pitches up on you.
Roy
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:54 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Exciting news. I just tested the new 10x 15 mm 11500 Kv in-runner from Hobby City in a 30 mm fan using a three bladed impeller. While the thrust is only just over half the thrust of the 12x20 mm fan unit 58 gm as opposed to 101 gm, all the related weights are also reduced with the exception of the airframe.
Here is the site where others will be testing the 10 mm motor - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post13131824

I need to make some mods to accommodate the AR6400 radio equipment but I should be able to start cutting foam tomorrow. That will take about 3 hours per plane and I may build two at one time. The second might be a pusher but I got an idea about how to use the 10 mm motor in it that should look really neat indoors (Columbus).
Roy
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Sep 19, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:23 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
There has been a little delay in completing "White 8". I was about to mount the sides when I managed to lay one of them down in wet paint. I decided to print and mount and cut out a new side but when I printed the fuselage sides the blue ink didn't look right. I mounted it on the Depron anyway but when I pulled the backing off the blue portion blistered and peeled off. I'm in the process of making another set of sides. I changed the blue hue a bit hoping that the mixture of the ink for the new blue will dry properly. I did just put new cartridges in and maybe one of them is bad.
While waiting for the sides ( this time I'm not going to rush them) I'm going to start on "Yellow 8".
In order to save time I'm going to go with AR6300 receiver because it will not require any redesign but will add a bit of weight to the test vehicle.
The AR6300 has been tested and the AR6400 has not so I may be eliminating some additional problems by going with the AR6300.
Enclosed pictures show new color schemes.
Roy
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:52 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Hey why don't you try extending the elevons to the inside of the duct so you can get thrust vectoring.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:35 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet
Hey why don't you try extending the elevons to the inside of the duct so you can get thrust vectoring.
I've added an Eflux tube to the EDF which extends about an inch aft of the elevons. If it were modified for TVC using the elevons it would only be effective in pitch since there is little moment force for roll.
I've been thinking about following up with another pusher using the new motors and I was considering using two motors. About 6 years ago i tried a bunch of different motor combinations on a Micro Stick going from 2 up to 6 motors. The 6 motor version had a motor mounted on each aileron.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Roy
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:50 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
I didn't make much progress today. I redesigned the bottom aft section to increase the space for components and as a result I also get cooling air to the ESC. This increased profile drag but I don't know how it will effect flight.
I also stretched the main landing gear so that it extends up to the wing as opposed to being mounted to the bottom aft section.
Enclosed are two pictures. The carbon landing gear is relatively light and strong. The aluminum cable conduit projecting out the side of the EDF streamlines the power wires. Doing this can reduce a large amount of drag produced by the wires. The drag causes a decrease in thrust.
I tested my 2.5 gm servos and one was bad. I suspected it from the last flights I had using it. Since I don't have any more 2.5 gm servos I'm going to use 3 gm Westecnik servos. These are more robust and fast. I haven't gotten any chatter out of them either so they are a logical servo to use when you want to reduce potential problems. Pricey yes, but I have them so I might as well use them. The one good 2.5 gm servo is being assigned to nose wheel steering.