SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:29 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Build Log
30x Uav

Hi, The 30X UAV was created to have an aircraft to test 30 mm EDF's. It also became a model to test different methods of finishing Depron.
The numbers are:
Span - 13.093 inches 332.56 mm
Length - 11.5 inches 292.10 mm
Area - 52 inches squared 3.35 dm squared
Weight - 3.0 ounces 85 gms

GWS 30 mm impeller and housing
Lossi 12 x 20 mm motor, 10250 kv
Rhino 360 3 S LiPo
2 - 2.5 gm Blue Bird servos
6 amp Turnigy ESC
Roy E Oetting is offline Find More Posts by Roy E Oetting
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Jun 12, 2009 at 08:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:36 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
The 30X UAV flies nicely with the Lossi motor.
The video is the first successful flight. The plane was piloted be Dave Thacker. I need to practice my cinematography.
I made a camera stock to make it easier to follow the plane but I didn't site it properly at the beginning.

30X UAV (2 min 6 sec)
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:05 AM
Burner!!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jun 2005
1,054 Posts
3S on a 10k+ kv motor?!!!! Your a wild man!! that would put the revs something like 100K!!!!

Very impressive little plane. What is the new finishing technique? It looks like it was a complete success.
PlaneCrazee is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCrazee
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:26 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
The motor doesn't appear to be getting hot. It now has two flights on it and if the weather permits I'll get in some more this morning.
I have several airframes in different states of completion. This one used an ink jet water transfer decal on the one wing (where NAVY is backwards) and on the other wing I used an ink jet rub and peel dry transfer which lifted when I removed the backing. The one that works good is called Canvas Transfer by Papilio. I should have some pictures of that material soon.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 03:12 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Here a few more pictures of airframe #02 but will need a modification because the elevons are to small. I also shot the picture of the X-40 today. That would be a good color scheme! The plan right now is to work out the bugs and then maybe have it laser cut. I'm also working on a 5gm motor pusher with similar lines.
Roy
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Here are some pictures of templates being used to cut out a hatch. I couldn't freehand this but with the templates the cut comes out looking straight and clean. It would have been better if I had taken the paper off the plane which burned as I made the cut. It also slowed the cut down which took more foam out. The first flying prototype came out better.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:19 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
I got a chance to take some pictures of aircraft that are not normally outside this morning. They told me I couldn't take any pictures but not until I had taken 40 pictures. I would have liked to take forty more. Here is the Tacit Blue which could be built with a 30 mm EDF. Make it a little bigger than the 30X-UAV and take advantage of Coanda effect to get air to the fan and then open up the back for exhaust. I gotta do it!
Roy
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:27 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Second video

We just did another video to test changes to the control surfaces. My neighbor Josh shot the video for me while I got some stick time. He kept the plane right in the center but for a brief time the camera went out of focus. I'll have to remember to set the cameras focus manually. ( I hope I can do that on this camera.) A kid on a motorcycle came thru the parking lot as we started so it is best to turn the sound down or off. Control is very positive but I had to carry a lot of power during landing. The flight was short because I forgot to put my better glasses on and I didn't want to pile it in because I got disorientated.
Next time I'll remember my glasses and the infra red thermometer.

30X-UAV, second video (0 min 56 sec)
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Jun 14, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:39 PM
Burner!!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jun 2005
1,054 Posts
very nice hatch cutting setup. I like the modded clothespins.
PlaneCrazee is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCrazee
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:08 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Thanks about the clothes pins. I made up a couple different sizes. They apply a nice light force which works good with foam. The jaws are made from the floor of a discarded dresser drawer so they cost me the price of the pins.
The plane isn't that hard to fly if you can see it but the landings aren't very easy. I'm going to make a pusher out of one of the fuselages I have which be a lot lighter and the next 30mm EDF will have a bit more wing area.
I'm getting some new inexpensive motors to test. I think they will work as well as the Lossi and cost about a third as much. I already bought the impellers and the housings. Just waiting for the motors.
Roy
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:37 AM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
I wanted to include a picture of the next generation. This one will be a pusher but then I'll build another 30 mm EDF with a little different color scheme.
Flight testing is progressing.
The link to the pusher is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073542
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Jul 02, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 05:32 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
This looks so KOOL !!! Are you going to make plans for it ? If not could you give more complete deminsions?

I'd love to scale it up for a really hot 55mm setup that I have ! Looks like it would be great for rough fields so that it wouldn't suck up FOD !

Blue Skies...................R Dub
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jul 02, 2009, 10:09 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
RWCloud, I quickly took the parts sheets and reduced them by 1/8th so the file size would fit the RCGroups criteria. If you would like better drawings I could probably send them to you direct. I only included one side of the fuselage. The ailerons had to be enlarged on the 30 mm EDF and these wings show a larger aileron. The small fins can be attached to the ailerons as I did on the pusher version.
Roy
Old Jul 02, 2009, 10:52 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Thanks !! They should be enough ! I'll just resize them to what I think will work.

But first need to finish a couple other projects !

Blue Skies................R Dub
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD