HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2003, 11:38 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
GWMP Sport-E Questions

I have a few questions about Gary's Sport-E kit.

I am currently flying a Hanger9 UltraStik 40 with a YS45 hung on the nose. I'd like to get a plane that flys very similar to the UltraStik but using e-power rather than glow. Is the Sport-E the airplane that fits this bill? Think I'll notice a huge power difference between the two?

Also, has anyone built the Sport-E with the flap/aileron arrangement that the UltraStik has? I'd love to have the ability to do the crow mixing with the Sport-E. Any thoughts on making this modification? Will the two extra HS81's affect performance drastically? Just curious as I'm not sure how weight critical this bird is.

Finally, has anyone flew the plane with any of the brushless offerings yet? I was thinking along the lines of an Axi or Hacker brushless.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
bsumpter is offline Find More Posts by bsumpter
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2003, 02:19 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
664 Posts
I have a Sport-E.

I've seen several ugly stick's fly. I don't think I've seen the 40 size though. I've seen the 60 and 120. The guys that flew them just put the throttle wide open and left it there. With the few flights that I have on mine, I'd guess that with the stock power setup it would be close to the 40 ugly stick, although throttle management is going to be needed.

As far as the flap situation, Gary would be able to answer that better. I have the aileron's setup as flaperons and with 15į deflection I don't notice much flight difference.

A couple brushless systems have been tried and a search should reveal which ones.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Apr 01, 2003, 02:46 PM
Ben Bolt, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
124 Posts
SPORT E-STICK

Hi bsumpter - I have flown mine now for two weeks. It is powered with an Aveox 27/26/1.5 - MPI gear box 4.3/1 - APC 13 X 8E prop - TMM Compro Profiti 80/16-3p controller - 10 HRSC - 2600's NiMh and a UBEC battery elimanator. It takes off in a 10 foot run and then will go straight up for as long as I want. The roll rate is good, loops can be tite or big and it will knife edge some. Gary did not design it to be good at knife edge. Landing is slow and short, very controlable. Bob
Bob Shultz is offline Find More Posts by Bob Shultz
Old Apr 07, 2003, 08:15 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
Sounds great!

Now for the big, important question... does it impress the glow flyers?
Old Apr 07, 2003, 10:02 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Nothing really impresses them. They're curious at first and then they go back to talking about OS's, .40 this and that, breaking in engines and stuff they like. Most of the time they don't understand it when I say stuff like "a brushless motor called a Hacker B50-10L", etc. The most common question I do get is "How long does it take to recharge the batteries" When I tell them it takes my charger anywhere from 40mins to an hour for my 16 cells 3000mah batteries I think that is when they loose all interest in electic RC planes. Oh, and most of them don't seem to be interested in park flyers. 25 sizes and larger.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Apr 07, 2003, 10:32 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
Anyone fly thiers off a grass runway? How do they do?
Old Apr 07, 2003, 10:39 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,163 Posts
my home field is grass, and untill a few weeks ago at the RC world electric flyin,.. the sport-e's had ONLY been flown off grass
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Apr 07, 2003, 11:11 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
You take Paypal, Gary?
Old Apr 07, 2003, 11:34 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000