HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SassyCat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:54 AM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
Cool
Comedy - Ron White

I love comedy but honestly am a little wary of stand-up comedians. For one thing, you never know what it's going to be like unless you have seen their whole routine, and even then they do change it. If they get on something that upsets you it is REALLY difficult to get out of the situation. (Anyone else been in a really packed comedy house?)

Anyways, I just finished watching Ron White's new bit from Comedy Central. We taped it a while back but I've been too nervous to watch. I laughed from the first joke to the last (though I had to have one explained to me in the middle ). It was great, the best laugh I've had in a long time... makes me wish to go back to Hyena's (the local comedy club).

So I think he would be among my favorite comedians now... him and the chinaman which I think fewer people have heard of.
Is there anyone else you think that just shouldn't be missed???
SassyCat is offline Find More Posts by SassyCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:19 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
As "corny" as his show may seem, Jeff Dunham is a VERY funny and very talented guy. He fly's RC, too! He's on the cover of the June Fly RC magazine. In his show, he only very breifly touches on "sensitive" issues. The good thing about it, is that "HE" always plays switzerland, it's the "dummies" that have the opinions.

The one thing that I've found is that, when going to a comedy club, you have to check your pride, and many of your convictions, at the door. It's just like checking your coat. You may not have it "right now", but you pick it back up on your way out, check the pockets to make sure everything is there, and then go on with your evening. That doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you a better person, by allowing yourself to see "you" from a different perspective. You know what they say, "If you can't laugh at yourself..." Wait, how does the rest of that go?

Other than Jeff Dunham, I can't reccommend anyone, as I tend to LIKE comedians that challenge the audiences views and redefines their notions of comedy. Bill Hicks, Andy Kaufman, etc. Those types of people may be a bit rough for you, but you won't go wrong watching a set or two of Jeff DunHAM's. Keep in mind, Comedy Central tones down just about every stand-up comedian, so live, there's a few extra curse words and stuff in J.D.'s show, but it's not like he's throwing the f'bomb every other sentance. If anything, "Walter" will call someone an "A55h0l3" or a "german purse" for interrupting his train of thought with an obnoxiously loud, ill timed laugh.

"NNNEEEEEEE_OOOOOWWWWMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!"
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:29 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Ron "tater salad" White?
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
Socomon, yep that's the guy.

Actually I'm pretty good about not being offended too easily. They can even make a joke personally about me I'm okay. I'm okay with the curse words and the raunchiness. What I worry about is - well I never will like or get humor having to do with disabilities, hurting babies, or things like that. Not many people actually get into stuff that offend me, I've just had a stroke of bad luck that the last few times I've gone to see a comedian who just really pushed it.

Jeff Dunham.. I'll look for some stuff of his. Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:27 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Check out Youtube for Jeff Dunham videos. He also has a web site www.jeffdunham.com

Walter is my favorite, but Achmed is funny too.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:17 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
The bit with "...what looked to be a schquirrel..." had me laughing as hard as I've laughed in a looong time...
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,346 Posts
Jeff Dunham is da best! Bill Engval <seen him live> is one of the best as well.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
I've seen a bit of Bill Engvall's stuff since I watched blue collar comedy but not any of his solo stuff really.

Hmm I'll have to look up Jeff Dunham since so many people agree that he's funny. I'd never heard that name before I think.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:48 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCat
I've seen a bit of Bill Engvall's stuff since I watched blue collar comedy but not any of his solo stuff really.

Hmm I'll have to look up Jeff Dunham since so many people agree that he's funny. I'd never heard that name before I think.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...33591316790281

Bill's Solo is even better then the Blue Collar stuff IMHO.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:06 AM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
Oh man! I watched that whole thing! I laughed so hard my stomache is hurting.... That was really really good.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:27 AM
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
I'm glad you liked his work, SassyCat. There were at least two charachters that weren't in that video. Achmed, The dead Terrorist is the big deal now, and he's got some GREAT material, along with a snappy catch phrase. There's also a super hero character. Look around you tube, or maybe on J.D.'s site, posted above. It's worth the time.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:54 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCat
Oh man! I watched that whole thing! I laughed so hard my stomache is hurting.... That was really really good.
The Sparks of Insainty DVD is GREAT.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:07 AM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
He's coming to Texas pretty soon.. I'm gonna see about going to see him. College Station isn't TOO far away. I always love stand up better in person. Though it IS great watching videos.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
Get your tickets soon. He's pretty good at packing the house.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:59 AM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
I will. Fortunately it's not til fall and there's two places in texas he's coming to, both within a decent drive.