Old Jun 09, 2009, 06:57 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Build Log
Flair Baronette (Fokker DR 1)

Hello folks,

Don't think I've posted in here before so be nice to me!!

I've wanted to build one of these for a long time and recently an unbuilt kit came into my possession in exchange for some silver coins.

What is a Flair Baronette? Flair is a UK model company and the Baronette is a 50" semi-scale version of the Fokker DR1 triplane, it is one of four in the 'Scout' series. My kit is quite an old one but they are still in production.

What do you get in the box? Well, quite a lot! Photos show the contents best but it's a fairly comprehensive kit.

Not sure where I'm going to start, the instructions suggest the top wing but you can start anywhere you like really.

Might not be the fastest build, I like to take my time!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2009, 02:33 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Making a start

Thought I would ease myself in gently with the tail feathers, very simple stuff.

GB
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:31 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Engine installation

I needed to prepare Former 1 (firewall) for the engine prior to fixing it to the fuselage, as Dudley Pattison (the designer) says in the instructions 'it is easier to do this without an aeroplane attached to it', right you are Dudley!!

The method of mounting the engine is interesting, I am used to twin hardwood bearers or a plastic mount, the method that is used here is novel.

In a nutshell an aluminium plate is attached to the rear of the engine with the four crankcase cover bolts and then this plate is screwed directly to the ply firewall with self tapping screws. There is plenty of reassurance in the instructions that this method works, I guess that some builders questioned it.

Seems to work well, will find out when it takes to the skies!

F1 has been epoxied to the fuselage and is setting.

GB
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:19 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Youngstown, PA 15696
Joined May 2002
468 Posts
Looks fantastic Gary, any more progress?
Pilot_Tony is offline Find More Posts by Pilot_Tony
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Hi Tony,

Thanks, the build is pretty much 'live' so the only extra things that I have done are to fit the servo rails and prepare two anchor nut plates for the lower and middle wings.

Might make a start on a wing tomorrow, got to go out tonight. Making new wing ribs could slow things down, I might crack and use the supplied Liteply ones.

It's a fairly simple build and I'm looking forward to the flying stage though I've read that takeoff and landing can be hairy!!

Cheers

Gary
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:32 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Bottom wing

Spent a pleasant day building in the garden.

First job was to make some new balsa wing ribs to replace the supplied Liteply ones, 17 Liteply ribs weighed 28g, the balsa ones weighed 12g.

Instructions suggest laying the lower rib capping strips on the plan, leaving them overlength to be trimmed later, think I will revert to my normal method of adding the capping strips afterwards for the other wings.

I test fitted the wing to the fuselage and I had to take some material out of the leading edge which I'm not entirely happy with as it could be a weak spot, will see what I can do with it.

Mrs B said 'that's got a little wing', yes dear, there's two more bigger ones to go yet, bless her!!

Working for the next three days so there won't be much progress.

GB
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:37 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
918 Posts
It's a fairly simple build and I'm looking forward to the flying stage though I've read that takeoff and landing can be hairy!!

Too right they're hairy on take off!

I've got one of these and I don't wish to sound discouraging but I've never succeeded in taking off! In the end I gave it to the club expert who's an Area Examiner. He got it into the air and it looked wonderful in flight but as he flies Mode 1 and I fly Mode 2 I couldn't even have a go on the sticks

I find it ground loops very easily, then hits the port lower wing and because it's a rigid one-piece model you've a repair job on your hands. Then again, I'm hardly Christian Paysant-Leroux so it's quite likely that you're a better pilot than me and you'll be able to handle it.

Apparently, one recommended take-off drill is to hold full right rudder and up elevator at the start, then to apply full power and to ease off the elevator. Then it should take off.

I've made a few modifications to the cabane struts on mine to make it look more scale-like and I've finished it in the colours of Hans Weiss, one of von Richtofen's flight leaders. I might glue the wheels to the axle and have the axle run in brass bearings in the axle-wing as mentioned in the building notes. Apparently this cures the ground looping as both wheels have to rotate at the same speed.

My kit came with balsa wing ribs. I am also using an OS 40 FS which suits it very well once it's in the air.

I love the Fokker Triplane, best of luck with yours.
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:42 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Cheers, I am a full size Tiger Moth pilot so I understand the mechanics, just need to make my thumbs do the right thing!! I think they are better launched into a headwind, flat calm is when the problems happen. I thought about fixing the wheels to the axle but I like a challenge!

I've got a Wots Wot with a .61 in it which is pretty squirelly, question is do I crash on grass or tarmac?!!!

Any pictures of yours? Would like to try something other than the standard red scheme although it's temptingly easy!

Gary
Old Jun 13, 2009, 07:29 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Colour schemes

Nine different colour schemes here: http://wwi.priswell.com/german/foktri/index.htm

GB
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:19 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
918 Posts
I'll see what I can do about sending you a picture Gary but I'm not very good with cameras or computers, or at flying triplanes come to that!

All of the aircraft in von Richtofen's squadron had red engine cowlings and most had red wheels, undercarriages, and struts as well. Individual pilots had different coloured tailplanes or rear fuselages. Lothar von Richtofen and Hans Weiss, being flight leaders also had their top wings painted yellow and white respectively to make themselves more conspicuous. There are some reports which suggest that Weiss had the whole aircraft painted white at the time of his death, "weiss" being the German for "white" of course, however, there are no photographs of the aircraft finished in this scheme that I am aware of.

I used to be a decorator. To simulate the the streaked finish I used oil-based glaze, sometimes called scumble glaze, produced by a company called J.R Ratcliffe's. Oil based glaze is allows a translucent appearence to paint and is used in rag rolling and other broken paint finishes. I mixed some oil-based white eggshell paint with some dark brown oil-based artists' colour, added an equal amount of glaze, then thinned it with white spirit though you can also use turps. Brush the coloured glaze onto the model very sparingly. A streaked finish is more about removing glaze than adding to it. Having got a few blobs of paint onto say the wing, using a cheap 1/2" or 1/4" brush the rougher the better, drag the glaze diagonally and you should get a similar result to the original. You may put a little dark brown artists' colour in strategic positions to simulate where the painter loaded his brush in 1917!

The beauty of glaze is that if you make a horlicks of things you can whipe it off with white spirit and start all over again. Glaze is very soft, so you'll need to put a coat of polyeurathane varnish over it when it has dried.

I recommend the Fokker Dr1 Datafile Special by Albatross Productions Ltd for information on colur schemes. This book contains 24 colour profiles and many more black and white photographs.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:18 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
918 Posts
Have you made any more progress with your Baronette yet?

I've got mine into flying condition but haven't succeeded in flying it yet owing to poor weather and other committments.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,803 Posts
Sort of stalled at the moment due to summer full size flying activities, I'm a winter builder normally, it's upstairs safe waiting for me!!

Cheers

Gary
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
top enforcer
LaPorte, IN, USA
Joined Mar 2003
622 Posts
Looks like the one I started building a few years ago. I made the center wing a little more scale than the kit plans call for and ditched the single cabanes for scale ones. Maybe I will get it finished this winter. I am going electric on mine
kramer is offline Find More Posts by kramer
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
488 Posts
Hi Gary - seems we have similar tastes, first the Sunrise, now the Baronette. Mines a few years old, from back when Flair supplied balsa for the ribs. It's currently powered by an SC40 2stroke, it started with an OS 35 Max - a real cooking motor, which just didn't have enough power for flying from rough grass.
Take-offs are not too bad - my Veron Strutter is much worse for ground looping. I think the rudder may be blanketed until the tail comes up, holding in up at the start of the run helps, possibly by forcing the tailskid to do some steering. Maybe flying from a grass field that usually needs mowing helps.
Like others, I've modded the cabane struts to look a little more like a DR1 - it's actually got a pilot in it now, unlike this pic:
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob