HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Well it only took a few minutes to read through the printed instructions. In true Chinese kit fashion they just give you the basics and leave the rest up to the builder. Since there are so many options available, and since these are intended for experienced modelers, it`s understandable that the instructions should be brief.

Even though I had studied the pictures available and seen the specs on the plane, I am still taken back by how big it is. I`ve e-mailed Barry and found that his intake plugs were designed for 100mm fans, now I can see why. So I`ll be going with 100mm.

I have my two TJ-100s reserved for "go fast" projects, so I`ll start with less expensive fans and see what I can get out of them. I may eventually put TJs in it, but not for now.

I`ve just sent my 1521-1.5y back to Neu for repair/replace so for now, I`ll be working with Barry to get some intakes and doing the stuff like retracts/servos/wiring/airlines etc.

My goal for power/weight ratio is no less than 300w/lb. Since I`m projecting a weight of about 24lbs, that means I need a minimum of 7.2kw, or 3.6kw per side. That shouldn`t be any problem, and I should be able to push the fans to 4kw if needed.

Tam is working on modding his fans with larger motors for even more power, so I may eventually be able to put about 10kw through the fans. With 100mm fans that may mean as much as 24lbs of thrust and extreme efflux speeds.

With that kind of power I think that I could expect performance similar to my twin 90mm Falcon 120. That would be cool.

Well enough BS. It`s time to get something done on the Rafe'.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:15 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
Well enough BS. It`s time to get something done on the Rafe'.
This will be fun to follow, looks like a great project. The pink scheme you posted seems to be the most viewed....but would you really want to do that to such a nice looking plane!?
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:27 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Weather was great today so I went flying this evening. Before I went I took the time to make a couple of foam supports to hold the fuselage while fitting the hardware. I also took some pics to show some of the detail and the inside of the fuse before I get started.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2009, 06:36 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Lee,

Is that polyesther resin in the fuse? epoxy shouldn't be this creamy should it?
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:03 AM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi,
reading back a few pages someone was after ideas for a paint scheme..
After spending hours trawling the web for a suitable scheme for my Rafale I adapted one found on airlines.net which was easy to do and looks great. The big Plus is I can see it against a grey sky.
regards
Eddie-extra is offline Find More Posts by Eddie-extra
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:50 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Lee you got mail! haha Sent ya all the pics and specs on my Fie Bao Ducting. Some in and out of plane along with a template to check against your plane.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:26 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Erik, I`m pretty sure that it`s epoxy. There`s no hint of that strong fiberglass smell that the poly has.

By the way, after some closer inspection, the glass work isn`t perfect for sure, but it`s pretty nice, and seems pretty light. I`m sure that for a turbine, it`s a very light lay-up.

EE, thanks for joining in with the pic of you Rafale. Nice job on the Tiger scheme.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:28 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Thanks Barry. I got a message saying that my box was too full for something to be delivered. That`s probably your mail. I`ve cleaned out my in box and will check for your mail tomorrow. Thanks again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:46 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Damn-it. I just typed up a nice informative post and then lost it... that really P`s me off. Oh well, so you just get pictures tonight. LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:23 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
I tried again but no deliveroo. do might as well post em here. might be handy later anyway. I'll start with template and spec pic first. then one just to get the idea. so one is not accurate its just the distance at a given point. the template one should measure out that length if its printed to proper size. And actual inlet is inside the lines, so get the size right then cut lines off for just a the shape.

Barry
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Thanks Barry. I don`t know what`s up with my e-mail. Just not much space given I guess.

It`s good to have the info here anyway like you say.

Man those intakes are sweet! I`m sure that they`d work great. I`ve already checked the size and it`s very close. Also the first 6" of the intakes that came with my plane are very straight so I could use that section of mine as an extension if I wanted to make them longer. Or I could splice them on, if the shape was a little different.

I`d sure like to have a pair of those!! PM or e-mail me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:51 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Rough Layout of Heavy Components

Good news tonight. I had thought that the fans would have to go so far back that I would have to make a hatch in the bottom/rear of the fuse to access them. The good news is that they can go far enough forward that I can get to them through the main upper hatch.

With things positioned as shown in the pics, the plane checks out to be slightly tail-heavy. There is plenty of room to shift the batts forward if needed.

This arrangement would leave room for a deep scale cockpit if desired. I`m thinking toward having a flat simple cockpit insert for flying, and then a deep detailed one for static display. That would allow some of the batteries to be positioned flat on a tray under the canopy for flight. The advantage of that would be the ability to easily shift those batteries fore or aft as needed to fine tune the cg.

This answers a lot of questions. So I`ll be proceeding with the basic build, like hinging and servo and plumbing installation.

If I can talk Barry out of a set of those intakes, this thing will be in the air pretty darn quick.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jun 18, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:36 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
looks good! Think if hatches are in the same spot you should have them able to pop in like you said, thats how mine go in. And just bug Tam, im sure he'd get them right out to ya!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:29 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Oh, I didn`t know Tam sold them. My bad. Thanks for helping me make sure that they`ll work. I`ll call Tam. Thanks Barry
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
NP! and yeah as usual If I do something for one of my planes Instead of sitting on a plug I pass it on to him so others can get benefit too.

Barry