Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 09, 2009, 12:07 AM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,388 Posts
Build Log
Quic Fly by Phil Kraft

Here's my latest project. First of all, thanks so much to Carl for giving me this kit for free after knowing me for only 2 or 3 days. So kind of him This is the Quic Fly vintage RC plane designed by Phil Kraft many many years ago.

The first photo is of Carl's Quic Fly. It has a fully sheeted and glassed fuselage, painted to match the monokote wing. The wing is glassed where ever there is balsa sheeting underneath. Carl let me fly this plane and it flies like it's on rails. It's a real good flyer.

I'll be building my Quic Fly for electric power, and I'll add retracts. My paint/covering scheme will also be quite different.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2009, 12:21 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,388 Posts
Ailerons

The leading edge of the aileron is slanted and hinged towards the top, rather than the usual V-shaped or rounded leading edge which is hinged in the middle. This leaves a very tiny gap on the upper surface between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the aileron, but a bigger gap on the lower surface.

The leading edge of the aileron is also more than 1/2" tall which is taller than most control horns. This gave me the idea to try a completely internal aileron linkage - something I've never done before but always wanted to. If I could somehow attached the aileron pushrod to the lower surface of the aileron, I should have enough aileron travel with the hinge being at the top.

I took a plastic pushrod clevis and cut off the little pin at the tip of it. I drilled straight thru the existing hole in the clevis, creating two holes in-line on both the clevis lugs. I cut off a piece of pushrod wire and placed it inside the aileron, and this passes thru the holes in the clevis lugs creating a nice pinned joint.

It worked out great! See the pics...
Old Jun 09, 2009, 12:30 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,388 Posts
Retracts

I started toying around with the placement of the retracts. The pics show what I'm currently planning. The landing gear wire is bent aft as shown because that's how it was on my Sportster that crashed (see my Sportster blog for the great crash pics). I should be able to use these same retracts that were on the Sportster. So far it looks like they will fit nicely without having to bend the landing gear wire at all.

I also hope to attempt to make gear doors. This is something I've never done before. I usually get lazy and in a hurry to finish the plane when building, and I tend to skip details like gear doors since they aren't necessary for flight. With two other planes in my garage ready to fly, I hope to be in no hurry with this plane and hope to make the gear doors. We'll see.
Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:32 AM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
726 Posts
Nice work

Love the planes. Carls looks very nice and yours will be excellent too!
Very fun aircraft and a timeless design.

Cheers!

Pyro
pyrobus is offline Find More Posts by pyrobus
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:10 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
Kraft retractable landing gear

Har hatt anlegget liggende i 20 r har nu tenkt bruke det, er der nogen som vet hvordan man fr det til virke fra futaba radio aux canal.
Asger is offline Find More Posts by Asger
Old Jan 03, 2010, 08:20 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,388 Posts
Translation?