HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2009, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2006
7 Posts
Discussion
Any recommendations on SUV's for giant scale

I'm wanting to get into giant scale (33% aerobatic, 100" long), but I want to make sure I start w/ the right sized SUV. Anyone have any recommendations off the top of their head?

Thanks!
Tulo is offline Find More Posts by Tulo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2009, 11:41 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
About the only thing you'll get a 100 inch fuselage in is a Suburban... or a stretch van.
I believe you could get it in the Suburban with the rudder stuck a bit between the front seats if the tail isn't too tall.

4X8 sheet of plywood will lay flat in the older Suburbans... not sure about the newer models that means 96 inches

I've seen stretch vans that could handle a 12 ft long cabinet.

Most people go to a trailer for the really big planes.

You could get a used delivery truck from UPS...

I'm converting a cheap Harbor Freight 4X8 ft bed trailer into a V-nose enclosed trailer.
$200 trailer kit
$25 treated ply for the floor (need a bit more fo the V-nose section..)
$25 for one aluminum camper shell (to get the skin and frame material)
$50 for second camper shell (skin only... it turned out to be wood frame)

One more aluminum frame source and I commence assembly. I have enogh aluminum to skin it now.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:16 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,828 Posts
Ditto on using a trailer.

I used to have a Suburban as a daily driver. It was a total PITA getting my larger planes in and out without damage, and everything went in like a jigsaw puzzle. I could also carry only one passenger, as I always had to have the rear seat down with my planes inside.

Most guys in my club who fly GS have a minivan or small pickup for the daily flying sessions and haul a trailer to events. If you don't want to build your own, a 12' enclosed trailer is about $2500 new, even less used. You can set it up for your specific models and have a small work bench and stash all your flying equipment inside. Makes for great extra storage space at home too! These trailers are fairly light and can be towed by just about any mid-size car on the road today.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2009, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
There is something to be said in favor of paying someone else to build the trailer... Its a lot of work.

However... no one makes a trailer that meets what I want... and custom means bigger pricetag.

I want my trailer extra light, lower height and a few other design aspects that would drive the trailer companies nuts.
Lighter and lower = less effect on gas mileage.

And... I have the time. The plane I NEED the trailer for won't be built for a while. My 88 inch Yak fits in my Taurus Station wagon (about like a 40% would fit in a Suburban... rudder is between the front seats)
Old Jun 09, 2009, 05:34 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,240 Posts
I just bought a used pop-up camper trailer for $150. She's in great shape for what I wanted her for. I will gut the interior and build the racks and shelves I want. we just got it to my house last night, so I will begin the transformation this weekend. If anyones interested, I can post pics.....
Twinwarbirdflier is offline Find More Posts by Twinwarbirdflier
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,294 Posts
Wife just bought a Chevy Traverse....haven't had the guts to lie the seats down and see what size plane I can get in there - but it's BIG
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:42 PM
Build & Fly like 2days ur last
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
i just got a nissan pathfinder and i can fit a 1/5 p-51 i an building in it. the nissan armada would also work seeing it is bigger. no matter what you get you might not be able to bring anyone else with you to the field. my vote is a trailer. that is what i will be doing. but my plane is nowhere near ready so i have no further opinion on what trailer or how to make one
crazy3dpilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy3dpilot
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:53 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Typical giant scale flyers around here get a big box of a trailer... the cargo compartment 5 ft wide, 5 to 6 ft tall and 10 to 12 ft long. (+ the V nose if they get that option)

The V nose makes a big difference on gas mileage.

I had a 4 ft X 6 ft X 10 ft trailer which pulled nicely behind a Suburban... then I got a smaller vehicle and towing the trailer made the thing act like I always had the parking brake on. So I ended up selling the trailer.
So you have to consider your tow vehicle...

Thats why I'm making the custom trailer.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2006
7 Posts
Thanks for info here. I've done a lot of looking around (and driving new/used vehicles), and at this point I think it's going to be a Honda Odyssey. With the back seats folded down and the second row removed, it's going to be hard to beat that space w/o going to a trailer. I'm just very surprised that for the most part the ubiquitous standard SUV's have less space for planes than mini-vans. One thing I've noted for sure is how many BIG vehicles are GM flavors.
Tulo is offline Find More Posts by Tulo