Which is better?
RCdudeJF03 is offline Find More Posts by RCdudeJF03
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2009, 09:17 AM
CNC Machinist
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
211 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it Before i took up flying rc planes, i was quite heavily into Rc drifting. There was lots of different opinions floating around and they all seemed to be different. From what i've seen, for a high powered setup (I.e with a big brushless motor) belt driven cars seemed to stand up to that sort of torture better (I think this is because they dont have the right angle gears, which give alot of problems). Whereas, For an offroad car, A nice, enclosed Shaft drive seems to be the answer, With much less dirt getting between the gears/belt teeth, which made for a car which needed less service Personaly, I don't own a single belt driven car, but out of the three 4x4 cars i have, only one of them has ever given me trouble(But it has two motors and is only supposed to have one!) So, Id go either way really Hope this helps you.

Daniel
dmcke5 is offline Find More Posts by dmcke5
Old Jun 08, 2009, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2009
363 Posts
Thanks for the info. But do the teeth on the belt effect the cars performance rather than having the single shaft?
Old Jun 08, 2009, 07:15 PM
CNC Machinist
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
211 Posts
Well if anything i would say that Belt driven is probably more efficient, Due to the less number of gears needed. Every gear you have to go through, you loose some power. Ill give you an example I have a TL-01 With all the longer parts on it to make it into a buggy type car. In that car there is a Mamba Max motor, Which the instructions claim makes 1000Watts (1 Kilowatt) of power. This car is 4x4 and it also has an extra three gears to bring the High rpm of the motor down for the monster truck wheels It will do about 90kmph on the highest gearing i can put in it without overheating the motor. But, With the exact same motor in the 2wd Tamiya Desert gator i have(Which I put enough weight in to make it weigh the same as the TL-01 for the sake of the test), And it easily goes Past 100kmph.

Hope this helps

Daniel
dmcke5 is offline Find More Posts by dmcke5
Old Jun 08, 2009, 07:50 PM
Joined Feb 2009
363 Posts
That is the exact answer I was looking for.