I hope the flying goes well
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:24 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
back to it

I recently moved and this plane has been in my way for the whole last week . I've ripped the front section off 3 times through crashes trying to figure it out . I actually got a few flights but they were unstable .
In this iteration I changed the incidence of the wing . I moved it down in the front about 3/16 of an inch . Hopefully this will make her fly true .

I am going to take my camera and get someone to film it tomorrow . I guess I coulda repaired and filmed it and just not post if it was a failure . Added pressure . Confidence is high . I'll let you know how it turns out
Oh yeah this thread needs to be moved to the Scale Electric Planes forum .
Steve
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Last edited by Corelli; Oct 08, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 01:50 AM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
holy thread revival batman! I just pulled out a p51 that was stuffed in the back of a kitchen cabinet for 2 years. Battery pack still has a full charge! That's a Good looking plane, hope you get it all trimmed out.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:11 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
Went to the field yesterday and it was way too windy . Got there early today and nobody was there . So I didnt have anyone to video the flight . So the video is basicly just watching me fly it, you can hear it zoom by a few times . And you can hear the landing which was good . I did another flight after it was trimmed and it flew good . I wouldnt recommend flying this plane at full throttle until its trimmed . 3/4 flies with authority and 5/8 cruises nicely. The APC 4.1X4.1 is more than enough prop for this plane .

In short the incidence change helped alot . 3/16" down with the leading edge . This also ends up being parallel with the stab . I have about 4degrees of down thrust in the motor and its too much . I had to give it too much elevator trim . I will change that to about 2 degrees and see it it helps .The 4degrees of right thrust seems good so far. I flew it on low rates . With 1/4" throw in the ailerons and 50% expo . The elevator has 3/8" throw and 45% expo .

With 2 successful hand launches and flights in a row I'd say this plane is a sucess . Now that its flying I will doll it up again and put the tigershark teeth back on and build a scale spinner . More to come .

EDIT: The CG is 1 1/4" from the leading edge with the plane inverted .

Steve

PS Ill try to get some video next week

10 10 10 (3 min 43 sec)
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Last edited by Corelli; Oct 10, 2010 at 04:19 PM.