HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 06, 2009, 10:57 PM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Video
Guillows FW190 with Full House Controls

Flew this plane 5 times before with rudder, but it had to be flown carefully, although not terribly difficult to fly. Launches with a low wing warbird with rud/elev are tricky though.

The plane now has ailerons, added some months ago, and I finally took it out today for a flight. Launch was effortless with aileron control now. The plane did a few dips getting up to speed in the video, but once moving, the elevator actually has to be trimmed down a bit, as it has some pitch change with speed due to the high wing incidence.

Landing:
The video looks as if the plane dives a bit, but it actually lands without nose or wing dropping. The plane landed without a scratch, thanks it part to tall grass. For the video landing, I tried a power off glide, which descends a bit quickly. The plane flared in much more gently during other flights today, by keeping power on and getting low before final flare. At stall, the plane simply drops out of the sky, but stays completely level without dropping the nose or a wing, which is a good quality for a 28" warbird at 14oz AUW. I had remembered the plane having a better glide in the past, but in the future I will land with a bit more speed and get closer to the ground, before final touchdown. I believe the aileron mod's added weight has steepened the glide angle a bit.

The plane:
This plane has a fully sheeted 1/32" balsa fuse and wing top surface, with painted Econokote covering. The high wing incidence allows for a high degree of washout (likely 4 deg) which seems to prevent any wing dropping tendencies. Has generous down and right thrust of roughly 3 degrees. Flys with the higher kv version of the Park 370 and 7" Master Airscrew 3-blade prop, using a 3s-190 TP-PL. It had a bit more power with an 8" 3-blader, but given the powertrain, it's probably wise to reduce the load a bit with the 7" prop, which still flys well.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Last edited by WTFLYR; Jun 08, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2009, 01:15 AM
guitarflyer
Joined Feb 2009
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFLYR
Flew this plane 5 times before with rudder, but it had to be flown carefully, although not terribly difficult to fly. Launches with a low wing warbird with rud/elev are tricky though.

The plane now has ailerons, added some months ago, and I finally took it out today for a flight. Launch was effortless with aileron control now. The plane did a few dips getting up to speed in the video, but once moving, the elevator actually has to be trimmed down a bit, as it has some pitch change with speed due to the high wing incidence.

Landing:
The video looks as if the plane dives a bit, but it actually lands without nose or wing dropping. The plane landed without a scratch, thanks it part to tall grass. For the video landing, I tried a power off glide, which descends a bit quickly. The plane flared in much more gently during other flights today, by keeping power on and getting low before final flare. At stall, the plane simply drops out of the sky, but stays completely level without dropping the nose or a wing, which is a good quality for a 28" warbird at 14oz AUW. I had remembered the plane having a better glide in the past, but in the future I will land with a bit more speed and get closer to the ground, before final touchdown. I believe the aileron mod's added weight has steepened the glide angle a bit.

The plane:
This plane has a fully sheeted 1/32" balsa fuse and wing top surface, with painted Econokote covering. The high wing incidence allows for a high degree of washout (likely 4 deg) which seems to prevent any wing dropping tendencies. Has generous down and right thrust of roughly 3 degrees. Flys with the higher kv version of the Park 370 and 7" Master Airscrew 3-blade prop, using a 3s-190 TP-PL. It had a bit more power with an 8" 3-blader, but given the powertrain, it's probably wise to reduce the load a bit with the 7" prop, which still flys well.
do you have a build thread on this one . looks like a rocket.thinking about doing the p 40 war hawk.i think its 24 inch.
great job!!!ant
guitaramp68 is offline Find More Posts by guitaramp68
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2009, 10:24 AM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaramp68
do you have a build thread on this one. looks like a rocket. thinking about doing the p 40 war hawk. i think its 24 inch.
great job!!!ant
I think this is one of the few I never did build details on. They were expensive back then, as I was using Polaroid photos along with the posts.
I can't say much about the P40 since I don't have one, but it may be a slightly more difficult airframe to get flying well, than the FW190 or Zero of the series. Still, go for what you like though. I never looked at the P40 span, but since the series is scale, they differ a bit. I cheated by adding 1/4" span to the 190. Everything helps. The Spitfire I have actually flys well, as it has the most wing area of the series at 1 sq-ft.

On the rocket thing, it actually is pretty fast for what it is, but I just watched the video again and am convinced it is a bit off speed. It's heavy, but the video makes it look like I'm landing a cannon ball. I think these cheap digicam videos do not always play at the proper speed when downloaded. I think Mark's camera was doing the same thing. In one of his Guillows FW190 videos, he was covering the field with figure 8s faster than imaginable.
I think maybe the video speed was a bit off.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Last edited by WTFLYR; Jun 07, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2009, 11:38 AM
Registered User
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
Holy Cow! I can't even see that Focke...Wulf.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2009, 02:38 PM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
Holy Cow! I can't even see that Focke...Wulf.

howell
Not sure what to make of that, but for what it's worth:

That's why I clearly had the launch filmed, so folks can actually verify what it looks like.
Recession - not wealthy = digicam. With Guillows kits, it's more important to simply see that it flys in a video, than have a high quality video. It's not exactly as if they're posted everyday here. Now if it was one of a million Parkzone videos, then I would not post video if it was not high quality, since there are many of them out there already.
I also politely made the video short, as I don't know why some folks force people to download a 5+ min long video of a flying dot. At least you can tell that it is a plane in this video. I have literally seen flying dot videos, likely filmed with much better equipment too.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Last edited by WTFLYR; Jun 07, 2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Firefox does not check grammar
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2009, 02:43 PM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Oh I get it now. Lots of posts in LTUP.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2009, 10:17 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
MPP's Avatar
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
WT,

Very cool, you are lucky to have that "Guillows Grass" makes landings that much less stressful. Great conversion.

I think the frame rate plays games with how it looks as opposed to how fast it flies. Mine does move pretty fast but some of it looks fast because of its small size too. Also the field I fly in is one soccer field with two little league fields at each end. Not small and not huge FWIW.

Again great job on the aileron conversion!

Mark

Just for comparison
Guillows FW-190 (3 min 8 sec)
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2009, 06:45 PM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
I like the "Guillow's Grass" term.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New FFF project: Vectwin With full thrust vector controls, no hinged surfaces dogon1013 Foamies (Kits) 19 May 09, 2009 09:10 PM
Question Full house controls and mixing lyk2fly Electric Sailplanes 4 Feb 19, 2009 01:58 PM
Kyosho 180 full house controls akflyer Foamies (Kits) 0 Feb 11, 2005 10:28 PM
Micro full-house Ultimate with the JMP RX jjkwang Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 14 Oct 24, 2003 08:28 AM
Blucor full house plane with pics Will-MO Foamies (Kits) 15 Apr 04, 2003 05:38 PM