HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:44 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
it takes a second or two of sustained failsafe servo positions before the OSD will engage RTH mode... the DL was only in failsafe for less than a second. If it was a sustained failsafe it would have engaged...

with the LRS or dragon link, I remove the 72mhz module from the back of my futaba 9c and connect a few wires from the dragon link transmitter box to the pins that go on the module (power, ground, PPM, and a few other pins to fool the 9C into thinking it has a module connected). I just ziptied the tx module to the back of my transmitter.

once you do this, the 9c operates exactly like it did before will all the mixing functions. There are 2 things that are quite different though...

1. The failsafes are not programmed through the 9c anymore. you set ther servo positions to the failsafe position and then hit a button on the Tx module.

2. my futaba 9c can only output 8 channels in PPM mode. 9 channels are only possible in PCM mode, which is not compatible with the dragon link (or LRS). this is a Tx limitation of the futaba and other transmitters may not have this issue.

if I ever wanted to go back to 72mhz, I can just cut the ziptie, unplug the DL module and plug in the 72mhz module again. not that I am likely to do that anytime soon!

downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:00 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Got it! Thanks. Would sure be nice if they could make it just "fit" in like the other modules, but oh, well. Does the UHF then broadcast/transmit through your 9C's antenna? I would think it wouldn't be "long enough" for the typical half wave optimal length. Sorry for all the stupid questions.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Feb 24, 2010, 02:10 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
there are just too many different radios for them to make a special module for each one...

the DL module has its own antenna sticking out the top. Its shorter than the normal 72mhz antenna due to its shorter wavelength...
Last edited by downeym; Feb 24, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:51 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeym View Post
there are just too many different radios for them to make a special module for each one...

the DL module has its own antenna sticking out the top. Its shorter than the normal 72mhz antenna due to its longer wavelength...
Yeah, that figures on the module. Hum, they must be going with a quarter or 1/8th wave then, because longer wavelength normally takes LONGER antenna.

-JM
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:05 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
its a shorter wavelength... If I remember correctly there is a half wave whip on the Tx...

72mhz = 164in
433mhz = 27in
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:26 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
Do you have a video by a 2nd person showing you launching the wing?
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:45 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
sorry.. no video, but a few pictures...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
Thanks! Are you throwing it power off?
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeym View Post
its a shorter wavelength... If I remember correctly there is a half wave whip on the Tx...

72mhz = 164in
433mhz = 27in
OK. For some reason I had it in my head that it was even lower frequency than 72MHz (like 433Khz or something????). Mostly, I was going with the attenuation of 2.5GHz over 72MHz and thinking in my head UHF was going further.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:55 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
the advantage of the UHF recievers is a cleaner frequency range, frequency hopping, and a good RF front end on the receivers...

definately throw it power off! launching it not really any different than my 48" wings... just a stronger throw since it weighs twice as much... once you throw it it has a nice glide and plenty of time to power up and climb out...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:14 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
Thanks! Are you throwing it power off?
Yes, they get thrown power off if your over-handing it like in the pics. As soon as its gliding, apply full power and off it goes. The wings are so streamlined that they glide very well on launch.

I dread the day that I accidentally hit the throttle with my hand back there
I hope it never happens
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:24 AM
Norge
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
Have you seen the way Dave Powers launches his planes? Holding it in the wingtip, do a 360 spin and relese with power on
Capy-Norway is offline Find More Posts by Capy-Norway
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:35 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capy-Norway View Post
Have you seen the way Dave Powers launches his planes? Holding it in the wingtip, do a 360 spin and relese with power on
yep, thats how I launch my swift, kinda like a frisbee toss. I havent tried with the Zephyr yet though...
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:04 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,798 Posts
Goodluck doing that with a 3 part wing. You'll be flying a little lopsided I bet.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
definitely.... not to mention that you would have to secure the outer sections pretty well to be swinging a 100" wing around by the tip...

I have done the wingtip toss and the pizza toss, but I vastly prefer the method I showed in pictures... much more stable glide after and more time to get on the sticks...