HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:40 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Hi Mike,

Not sure if it's enough - but judging from your video quality you've got things blocking the "view" of the tx antenna to the rx antenna. I've had the same problem before ... get the antenna out to the wingtips, use a separate power supply (do whichever is easier first, then check the results). If there is nothing other than foam in the way, I've found video quality and range increase dramatically.

Hope that helps ...

Cheers,

trappy
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2009, 09:13 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I had a little free time tonight so I decided to follow some of your suggestions.

I relocated the Tx to the very end of the center section to get it as far away from the radio as possible... it is now 28" from the receiver. I used a section of cat5 to extend the cables.

I also put some ferrite chokes on the servo cables coming from the outer wing panels (very long run) and a snap on choke on the cables going from the OSD to the Rx just in case.

It will be a while before I can test fly it again, but I will do a range check in the next few days...

any other suggestions? I ordered a UHF system to use in here, but that will be a while.
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Jun 09, 2009, 09:36 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I make my own servo extension wires using the twisted wire, it's a pain but it is worth the effort.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:34 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeym
I had a little free time tonight so I decided to follow some of your suggestions.

I relocated the Tx to the very end of the center section to get it as far away from the radio as possible... it is now 28" from the receiver. I used a section of cat5 to extend the cables.

I also put some ferrite chokes on the servo cables coming from the outer wing panels (very long run) and a snap on choke on the cables going from the OSD to the Rx just in case.

It will be a while before I can test fly it again, but I will do a range check in the next few days...

any other suggestions? I ordered a UHF system to use in here, but that will be a while.

Part of the problem is the location of the TX itself; the antenna is not necessarily the problem.... Space all working components as far as possible away from each other..

Good luck!

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:18 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Looks good mike. I did some more testing yesterday (got a similar layout as you) and if I fly parallel to me with the wingtip pointed away I get minor interference like you had. Looks like the carbon blades or the motor are disturbing the signal. Either way, putting the TX way out there is the best way to take the "motor out of the picture" - and I do mean that literally
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:29 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
thats true actually... I did have a carbon prop on it... I didnt think of that...

Thanks for the advice
Mike
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Since I am treating this like a blog, I might as well post an update.

I broke the gearbox off the hacker 2 weeks ago when the blades on my folding prop folded over center and I unbalanced the prop. Since there I have been tweaking a lot of little stuff.

1. Installed a Yellow Jacket 2.4G diversity reciever on the ground station
2. made a tripod mount for the antennas. I am using a 8db patch and a 14db patch. the two antennas are mounted using a flexible mount (like a microphone stand). The antennas are mounted 3.5wavelengths apart center to center and are mounted at a 45 degree angle with respect to the ground. This should dive good spatial diversity.
3. Ditched the old berg receiver in favor of a Futaba 9C transmitter and R149DP receiver. That should fix most of the control range issues I was having before.
4. Installed an FMA co-pilot (I needed some servo buffers though, which are on order)
5. Installed a Pandora pan and tilt mount for the camera. Can you say Future head tracker?
6. Ordered a new Lawmate 1W transmitter. Mine is quite old and I suspect might be part of my range issue.
7. updated the video harness for a cleaner install and used cat5 cable throughout the plane. Should give me a little more immunity from EMI issues.
8. Modified the Aeronaut folding prop to keep it from folding over center to prevent this type of damage in the future.
9. Set up the Eagle Tree OSD Pro to be able to engage RTH mode with a switch.
10. Updated the OSD to the latest software version. This seems to have fixed the RPM and temp issues that I had on teh previous flights.

Hacker shipped my repaired motor today, so I hope to have it up in the air again next weekend.

I have to say that this simple flying wing has turned into the most complex plane I ahve ever owned, and that is saying a lot! I have had a lot of fun tinkering with it so far, but Im ready to FLY now!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 05:47 PM
"Here birdy birdy birdy..."
Israel
Joined Sep 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeym
I broke the gearbox off the hacker 2 weeks ago when the blades on my folding prop folded over center and I unbalanced the prop. Since there I have been tweaking a lot of little stuff.
try this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=8
MDreamer is offline Find More Posts by MDreamer
Old Jun 28, 2009, 06:58 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
yep.. I already did the same thing and it seems to work great! a friend of mine machines a small strip of aluminum to do the job...

thanks for the tip though
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:40 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Very cool! I just finished a 60" Ritewing that I am going to be installing my FPV stuff on. My plan is to setup a gyro for roll and a gyro for pitch. I will have to use an onboard elevon mixer instead of in radio mixing of course. Once I get those tweaked I am planning on installing my FMA Co-Pilot as well. Oh, I also have the OSD-Pro too.

Are you using an onboard mixer? Have you tried the RTH on the OSD-Pro yet? How did you learn that you needed the servo buffers? I am using a Futaba FASST 2.4.

Thanks, John
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 14, 2009, 08:00 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I havent updated this thread lately, but I am getting VERY happy with this platform. I havent really tested the range yet, but I have no issues over 1 mile out and I have not had one lockout yet!

when I plugged in the copilot, I noticed the servos were not smooth at all... Apparently the copilot is depending on each channel to be sent in staggered in time, but my Futaba reciever actually sends every channel at the exact same time and the copilot cant handle it. the advanced servo buffer actually puts a delay in the signal so this is what fixes it... I am using 3 channels (elevator, alieron and control) and all 3 need different timing, so one channel doesnt use a buffer, one channel uses 1 buffer and the last channel actually has 2 to double the timing...

I am using a dedicated hardware mixer and a y harness for the outboard alierons, but I just ordered a second mixer to try to be able to mix in some crow... The plane doesnt want to stop flying and I am having a hard time lading it FPV without overshooting!

the RTH mode works remarkably well on this plane and while its not really dialed in like I would like it to be, it will get it back over your head every time. Its quite cool actually and gives me enough confidence to range out higher and farther than I normally would knowing that if it gets in trouble it can take care of itself!

Queen Bee Overview (2 min 21 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 08:01 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
here is an early video showing the RTH mode working... by kicking up the derivative gain it helped with the overshoot a little, but it still likes to oscillate around the heading more than I would like... Its better now, but I am still not 100% happy with it.

flight testing the RTH Autopilot (3 min 31 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 08:03 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Thanks!

By the way, does the C-Pilot get a good enough view of the horizon with it mounted like that? I have seen one on a wing that was actually mounted on an approx 6" rod.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,206 Posts
Well I am sold on the Queen Bee. The problem is I can't find any in stock. Looks like a great platform. Good luck Mike.
Tp
Tom in Cincy is online now Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:11 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I had another great flight this morning...

7-18-2009 thermal soaring flight (51 min 27 sec)

Its not really edited, so if you don't want to watch the whole thing (I don't blame you) here are the highlights

1:00 takeoff
3:15 motor shutdown @ 2100 ft
5:41 found a nice thermal @2074 ft
8:09 managed to scratch up to 2300ft
12:49 down to 1748 ft but found the thermal again
16:55 up to 1939 again
26:57 Since I was facing south, I reoriented the map
28:64 still around 1950ft, but now im in a strong thermal
32:38 peak altitude of 2782ft
41:42 motor back on again at 1222 ft
43:23 motor off again at 2211ft
44:49 max distance of 6042ft from home
45:00 I have to pee!
47:38 Decide to land and engage autopilot home
51:24 reasonably good landing!

4 minutes of motor run time and 50 minutes of flying! Not too shabby! and I only used half my flight battery...

who says you cant find thermals with just a gps?