SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Would you seriously consider purchasing this board when it is released?
100% for sure 129 29.52%
Probably 126 28.83%
Maybe 81 18.54%
Undecided 37 8.47%
Unlikely 33 7.55%
Would not 31 7.09%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2009, 08:52 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Very interesting. You should wire it up to a gps and program a gps position hold into it. How large is the board?
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Jun 05, 2009, 09:05 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
adding GPS at a later date.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Last edited by S11D336B; Jan 17, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 11:44 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
30 min flight times! WOW! thats impressive.
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:12 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,839 Posts
Please provide more information and some close up photos here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12397277

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...85325&page=121

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...68115&page=312

I am sure you will have plenty of very useful feedback from the experienced pilots in there

Good luck

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Jun 06, 2009, 08:29 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr
Please provide more information and some close up photos here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12397277

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...85325&page=121

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...68115&page=312

I am sure you will have plenty of very useful feedback from the experienced pilots in there

Good luck

Khaled
Thanks, I did see those threads. But it seems to me that many people are having problems getting those to work properly and some of them are really expensive. The goal of my board is to be very easy to use while being cost effective. Just plug 5 channels from your receiver into 5 headers for Throttle, Pitch, Roll, Yaw, Option. Then plug 4 motors and escs into the other end. The board takes care of the rest. I'll make a post that I have something new later today.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by S11D336B; Jun 06, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 05:39 PM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
@S11D336B : do you have photos of the board?
What kind of equipment are we talking about? Gyros, accels, gps, possibilities of upgrade?
I'm interested as you probably saw my posts on some other boards, I need a reliable board fast ;-)
Tell me more, tell me more ;-)

PS : beta-testing? Sounds good to me
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Last edited by bob.titus; Jun 06, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:36 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.titus
@S11D336B : do you have photos of the board?
What kind of equipment are we talking about? Gyros, accels, gps, possibilities of upgrade?
I'm interested as you probably saw my posts on some other boards, I need a reliable board fast ;-)
Tell me more, tell me more ;-)

PS : beta-testing? Sounds good to me
Awesome! glad to hear it. Here are some pictures of the beta board. Sorry for the quality, I didn't want to remove it from the case it's currently in. I will be exchanging some of the components for the production board to make them all through hole and to reduce the cost.
The first revision board will have gyros and a barometer as well as an ADC capable of handling upto 8 channels. This means the possibility for upgrading in the future. I'll write some more in the first post about this.

I decided to add some new features that will be cost effective and very cool. Basic version will come with the micros and gyros only. You'll be able to add other sensors by simply plugging them into the board. Just flick the option in switch and the quadcopter will maintain it's current height. Should have an accuracy of approximately +-10ft. I may be able to do better once I start playing with that feature. Also, I figured out a way to do position hold with GPS relatively easily. Because of this I will be including headers in the board for the GPS module I plan to implement in the future. So when I get to writing the software for it it will be as easy as reflashing the firmware onboard and plugging in the GPS Module.

One more really awesome thing is that I plan to take care of 90% of operations usually handled with hardware in my code. This means that the board will be 100% upgradeable and reprogrammable with new features and updates. It will be as simple as getting the bin file from me, plugging in a usb cord, and pressing the program button on the flashing utility.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by S11D336B; Aug 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:46 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Reserved for future use
Site Sponsor
Last edited by S11D336B; Jun 23, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:49 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
all this sounds very good! What about accels and position hold though?
What about compatibility with receivers controlers and so on?
When do you think it will be available? For beta-testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B
Awesome! glad to hear it. Here are some pictures of the beta board. Sorry for the quality, I didn't want to remove it from the case it's currently in. I will be exchanging some of the components for the production board to make them all through hole and to reduce the cost.
The first revision board will have gyros and a barometer as well as an ADC capable of handling upto 8 channels. This means the possibility for upgrading in the future. I'll write some more in the first post about this.

I decided to add some new features that will be cost effective and very cool. Standard will come with a barometer for doing height hold. Just flick the option in switch and the quadcopter will maintain it's current height. Should have an accuracy of approximately 10ft. I may be able to do better once I start playing with that feature. Also, I figured out a way to do position hold with GPS relatively easily. Because of this I will be including headers in the board for the GPS module I plan to implement in the future. So when I get to writing the software for it it will be as easy as reflashing the firmware onboard and plugging in the GPS Module.

One more really awesome thing is that I plan to take care of 90% of operations usually handled with hardware in my code. This means that the board will be 100% upgradeable and reprogrammable with new features and updates. It will be as simple as getting the bin file from me, plugging in a usb cord, and pressing the program button on the flashing utility.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:57 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
I have a few requirements for beta testers.

1. You must be a competent RC heli pilot
(e.g. able to comfortably perform backflips consistently without crashing as well as flying nose in comfortably)
2. You must be willing to work with me on rcgroups and potentially over the phone to work out bugs or problems you find with the software.
3. Though I will do my best to test each release before I send it to you and will personally and throughally test each release, I am not responsible for any damage as a result of pilot error or software bugs.

I may edit these requirements in the future as I come up with new things I think may be necessary for persons performing this role.

If you are interested, PM me or post here.
ok, count me in, we can discuss all this on the phone if you wish.
Where are you located, I'm in France (but I could call you).
It's now almost 2am, I went to bed at 5am last night, I thing I'm not gonna last to long before I close my pretty eyes
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:58 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Quote:
all this sounds very good! What about accels and position hold though?
What about compatibility with receivers controlers and so on?
When do you think it will be available? For beta-testing?
Upgrade's are available through add-on boards the plug-into the base board.

As far as receivers, I will provide standard servo headers for you to connect your reveiver by. So you can use any receiver you wish. Will fly exactly like a helicopter. I'll need a couple weeks to get every thing ironed out and should have a prototype by then as well
Site Sponsor
Last edited by S11D336B; Aug 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:02 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
As far as receivers, I will provide standard servo headers for you to connect your reveiver by. So you can use any receiver you wish. Should fly exactly like a helicopter.
I'm not speaking about mecanical link, but software compatibility.
See, I have tried for almost two weeks to get my Aeroquad Arduino based board to work with my radio set, but no luck. The code is "designed" for Spektrum AR6100/6200 (/7000) and won't work with anything else
Last edited by bob.titus; Jun 07, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:05 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Quote:
I'm not speaking about mecanical link, but software compatibility.
See, I have tried for almost two weeks to get my Aeroquad Arduino based board to work with my radio set, but no luck. The code is "designed" for Spektrum AR6100/6200 and wont work with anything else
Ah I get it. You won't have that problem with this board. It is likely that the board you are talking about requires that the PWM inputs come in a particular sequence. Because of the nature of the microcontroller I am using I am not limited by this. So any receiver can be used with this board. Not just mechanically but software wise too.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:14 PM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
It is likely that the board you are talking about requires that the PWM inputs come in a particular sequence.
Yes, you are absolutely right, this is the problem and it has not been sorted yet. I spent no less than 50 hours a week for 2 weeks to try and sort this out, but the coding of the Arduino is very new to me, and the forum could not come with solutions, so I stayed pretty stuck.
Closed Thread