HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
Question
Monster Power 1.60 Motor

I'm looking into buying this motor from nitroplanes.com, does anyone have a recommended prop size for it?

Here's a link to the webpage: http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo1602brmo.html
bbmichael25 is offline Find More Posts by bbmichael25
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2009, 08:25 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
Something like a 18x8 to 20x10 should do the trick.
Depends on the number of cells in the battery pack and the pack capacity.
Do measure the current levels when you fire that baby up.
If too much current go with a prop that loads the motor less.

In the so called "Pro" story on your webpage he stated he used a 13-8, which was for a 46 that he was testing. Confusing to put it with the 160 motor.
These motors seem to match up with the EFlite Power series, so one could choose props based on that info, like the eFlite Power 160.

If you are planning to put it in a 3D plane and hover down low, be careful, until you are satisfied the motor is working good. I'd hate to have it crap out in a low altitude manuever.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 05, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 10:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
I was planning on putting the motor in a WWII type of plane, I was thinking a P-51. The real P-51's have a 3 bladed propeller I do believe, how would this change the size of the prop if I were to go that direction?
Old Jun 05, 2009, 10:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
And thanks for the quick response by the way.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 11:09 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
The Mustang uses a four blade prop. Maybe a early model had the three blade prop, like the first ones with the weak engine in them.
Generally the prop size is a little smaller with a three or four blade prop, versus the two blade one. It depends on the prop's pitch as well.
A lot of guys use a two blade for flying and a four blade for display. Those four blade suckers get very expensive and you will hate to ding one. Besides when you are running the engine and flying you can't tell a two blade from a four blade anyway.
You can make your own four blade display prop easily enough. You simply cut in a notch in each prop and glue them together and you have a nifty four blade display prop. The spinners are pricey too.

The other problem is scale sizing. The four blade prop would be too small to match the actual scale size of the model. So it would not look quite right. So make a scale four blade for display and use a two blade for flying.

A APC four blade 14.5x11 or a 15.5x12 would maybe work. There are some other props like from Solo or Boli that would work, but they are not cheap.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 05, 2009, 11:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
alright, I'll stick with the two blade, thanks again. By the way, does anyone know anywhere that is selling SR-71 blackbirds in models larger than 70mm foamies?
Old Jun 05, 2009, 11:42 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
I'd like the model to not be a foamie (didn't know if that was apparent or not).
Old Jun 06, 2009, 09:21 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
There are several foam versions. but there is a fiberglass and a balsa kit out there.
Here you go: http://www.sunset-models.com/index.html
here is another one, unknown who sells it.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...lsa_plane.html
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 06, 2009, 10:22 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
sweet, thanks.