HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2009, 12:32 PM
Custom Inventor
Kansas
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
Question
A good on electric on road rc

I have finally accepted I will never finish my outrage st so I am just going to find a new car to work with.
I have been obsessed with tuner cars lately and I have decided to get a nice electric street racer. Since I can't get a full size mostly due to money (and that I am only 18), I think I will stick with an rc version for a couple years.

My question now is what would be a good street racer for me. I fly airplanes right now and i really want to get into electric cars.
Thanks for any advice.
Rinyotsu is offline Find More Posts by Rinyotsu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2009, 06:16 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2005
163 Posts
schumacher, xray, hpi, hot bodies, tamiya there are a number to choose from. Myself I have a schumacher Mi2 (though Mi3.5 and Mi4's are out now). Best bet would be to go to your local hobby shop and talk to them, figure out which one has the best spare parts support for both now and in a few years time (you will always be wanting to get spare/hopup parts). then make a decision based on that
marty_one is offline Find More Posts by marty_one
Old Jun 04, 2009, 12:43 AM
rillzhu
shenzhen
Joined May 2009
23 Posts
we,shenzhen longsun toy co.,ltd(wwwtoylongsun.com), are rc car manufaturer, specializing in designing, producting and exporting on-road rc car. please contact to us.
thanks
rillzhu is offline Find More Posts by rillzhu
Old Jun 04, 2009, 12:14 PM
Custom Inventor
Kansas
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
I saw the HPI E10 but after almost twice as many bad reivews as good, I decided to keep looking and found the Tamiya TT-01. I honestly have yet to find a bad review and I have looked over at least 200 sites since I discovered it.
Any other advice on this TT-01 like some essential upgrades?
Old Jun 04, 2009, 12:47 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
Off the top of my head are..

ballbearings
aluminum shaft
turnbuckle steering
oilshocks
new tires
spurs/pinions

These are the must-haves for a new TT-01E, rest are pretty much just bling.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Jun 04, 2009, 02:52 PM
Custom Inventor
Kansas
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
Where would the best place to buy one? That is if my hobby store doesn't have one in stock. My mom and brother are going up to the hobby shop tomorrow, I believe, so I am going to have them ask about it and see if they have any in right now. I am looking for either rtr or almost rtr.
Old Jun 04, 2009, 10:41 PM
Custom Inventor
Kansas
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
okay, I am looking for the kit. I want to build my own. Any tips speed controllers, motors, etc?
Old Jun 05, 2009, 12:42 PM
Joined May 2008
137 Posts
if you have the money you should def go brushless. there are a few brands to choose from but i would say castle creations.
larsob801 is offline Find More Posts by larsob801
Old Jun 07, 2009, 09:33 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Hah, well im a flyer as well but like most folks started out with cars, then a boat or two. And then planes, and they have dominated my R/C activity though.

Well I just picked up a Tamiya TT-01E car, the Lamborghini Countach. Im really quite pleased and impressed. The handling of these and acceleration is what gets me. I'd never driven with the all wheel drive models, and so yeah..........impressive.
This kit came with their TEU-101BK ESC, and a basic light unit and head & tail light LEDs. $164
And yup I aready have looked over the upgrades availible. Gosh I love Tamiya's products, I've built their plastic kits for years, and their the best there is.
And these R/C kits are just as pleasurable and experience to assemble.

SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jun 07, 2009, 11:08 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
No maintenance means more time bashing!! In short, yes, definitely get a BL system if you're lazy like me

As for brands, I don't really care, I'm a budget basher kinda guy.
You can go for a $200+ system or a budget $90 system, it's all up to how much you want to (or able to) spend.

Here's my TT-01E... shots taken with crappy camera phone in poor lighting,
Old Jun 07, 2009, 11:18 PM
Custom Inventor
Kansas
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
SabreHawk, Sweet body!
I got one today while I was at the hobby store and was building it during the severe thunderstorm we are having now. Just finished it. It is all stock and came with its own speed controller.
My body is the Enzo Ferrari. Not one of my favourite cars but still a pretty cool looking body for it.

Building it was a blast and I advice anyone who has no rc car building experience to take this challeng on. Just pay attention to the axle pieces (I accidentally swapped mine but it was an easy fix though). Now to test this thing out a bit.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 12:41 PM
Custom Inventor
Kansas
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
Enzo Ferrari color

I'm not sure how long it will take to get a new body for the car so I am going to paint the body. Only thing is I don't really want it to be red. Red is a really overused color in the car world today. I want to stay away from black but I'm not sure of another good color for the body. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 08, 2009, 04:06 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
Gunmetal grey or Taffeta White would be my choice...

I dun really like the official Ferrari colors eitherway, but that's just me.

If you want something different and have enough patience though, you could try those CF pattern stickers and go all out on the CF theme and put a coat of low-gloss laquer on top, I bet it'll look wicked..
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:35 PM
Joined Apr 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
Hah, well im a flyer as well but like most folks started out with cars, then a boat or two. And then planes, and they have dominated my R/C activity though.

Well I just picked up a Tamiya TT-01E car, the Lamborghini Countach. Im really quite pleased and impressed. The handling of these and acceleration is what gets me. I'd never driven with the all wheel drive models, and so yeah..........impressive.
This kit came with their TEU-101BK ESC, and a basic light unit and head & tail light LEDs. $164
And yup I aready have looked over the upgrades availible. Gosh I love Tamiya's products, I've built their plastic kits for years, and their the best there is.
And these R/C kits are just as pleasurable and experience to assemble.
nice ride!! just wondering though, want to enter the hobby as well. should i go with the real rc car/truck or for the moment i should settle with something like this Dakar Rally?
zacsparrow is offline Find More Posts by zacsparrow
Old Jun 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
Custom Inventor
Kansas
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
I had 3 cars like that (one for each of us in my family), drove them around once or twice maybe and now they are in pieces in a container under my bed while I figure out something cool to do with it.
Honestly (considering I just got into this), I would suggest never openning that window again. My guess is you will soon out grow that little thing like I did so why not start with one that will grow on you and you can tune it up. Definately look into the TT-01.
I just got done with the maiden drive, I took it through a little gravel, minced up mulch in my neighbors driveway, and even over my debris-littered sidewalk and this thing is still kickin'.

But don't just look at this one car, look at more 1:10 scale cars, they are a little more expensive but you will have more of a bang for your buck.
Last edited by Rinyotsu; Jun 10, 2009 at 09:20 PM.