SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2009, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Discussion
Trivia questions: What plane is in this picture? Who makes it?

I picked up this 80" Cap 232 and can't figure out who makes it. I need to get my hands on a manual and some parts. The guy I got it from says it's a Midwest Cap 232, but I can't find any photos that look like this one. The rear wheel says Hangar 9 on it. But the guy says he added that from another plane.

Please help....What is this thing? What manufacurer? What year model?

Thanks,
onthegas
onthegas is offline Find More Posts by onthegas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2009, 12:23 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,757 Posts
Do a Google Image search for "Cap 232". I came up with a lot of pictures of the plane.
A lot of them were referencing "Hanger 9" or "Great Planes".

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Jun 03, 2009, 12:53 PM
chicks dig rockers
Joined Sep 2005
79 Posts
it looks a lot like a Midwest kit to me too.. could also be Lanier. i know they made an 80" cap.
Atomic is offline Find More Posts by Atomic
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh
Do a Google Image search for "Cap 232". I came up with a lot of pictures of the plane.
A lot of them were referencing "Hanger 9" or "Great Planes".

Bill

I've searched Google for way too long. I can find similar planes, but nothing with this color scheme. It looks like a midwest, or a Hangar 9, but I need to know for sure. I can provide more detailed pictures if that would help.
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:22 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Iwould say it's a Midwest Cap 232, thats been recovered.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:31 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Another thing to consider is that we don't know how old the model is.
Makers often change schemes from run to run, so that might be why you can't put your finger on a specific model.
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
51 Posts
for a moment i thought it's the Cessna 182 coz of the red and white.

but then it's kinda big..
zacsparrow is offline Find More Posts by zacsparrow
Old Jun 03, 2009, 02:03 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacsparrow
for a moment i thought it's the Cessna 182 coz of the red and white.

but then it's kinda big..
Better get those glasses checked................
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jun 03, 2009, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62.5pilot
Iwould say it's a Midwest Cap 232, thats been recovered.
It's hard to verify if it really is a Midwest Cap 232. I've checked the Midwest website and they don't have any Cap 232 planes listed. Did they discontinue their planes? Where can I get a manual and parts if this is a Midwest?
Old Jun 03, 2009, 03:43 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,693 Posts
What parts do you need that can't be home-made or made from generic components? All I see missing is the cockpit canopy, so check out the exact wingspan, compare it with various manufacturers' CAP 232s, to see if you can get a match. If you only get a close match, and the manufacturer sells spares, the canopy may be a good fit even if it's from a different manufacturer because they're all supposed to be modelling from the same original
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 03, 2009, 03:47 PM
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
What parts do you need that can't be home-made or made from generic components? All I see missing is the cockpit canopy, so check out the exact wingspan, compare it with various manufacturers' CAP 232s, to see if you can get a match. If you only get a close match, and the manufacturer sells spares, the canopy may be a good fit even if it's from a different manufacturer because they're all supposed to be modelling from the same original
Thanks for the tip on the parts. I need a canopy, and would like to get an idea of where the COG should be. I'm going to convert it to electric, so I'd like to get a manual. Do you know where I can get a manual from ? The Midwest website is not very helpful. In fact, they don't even list planes on their website.