TIA

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2001, 12:14 PM
Tel-Aviv,Israel
Joined Apr 2001
457 Posts
you can make your own by putting layers of carbon fiber cloth over the original LG, but they won't be as strong...

Avi
avie is offline Find More Posts by avie
Old Sep 10, 2001, 02:30 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Alan - have a scrat around hereabouts. There was a long thread on the subject of making them spring/summer time.

There was also a mag article earlier this year in one of the US RC mags. Either Flying Models or Model Aviation, IIRC.

Buying one ready made? Tricky, have not found any sources with more than the odd one.

As I barely have time for building models these days, I'd go to TnT for a custom designed alloy one. The one for my GP CAP 232 cost me $27.00 shipped, to my drawings (slightly modified from the kit's gear shape), and has been fine in service. It's about as light as they are going to come and got onto the bottom of my model a lot faster than if I'd tried to assemble the "stuff" to make a compo gear.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 10, 2001, 02:53 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
There was also an article in one of the US print magazines on how to do this. You make up a wooden form and lay a bunch of layers of wetted CF mat. I think the techneque is explained better here on the EZone. Do a search, hopefully it is not one of the lost threads.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 10, 2001, 02:59 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
thanks Dereck and all....Barely had the time to stuff all the 'Lil bits inside the fuse...much less get crafty ;P I was part of that old thread you spoke of, particularly voicing my wallet is more accessable than my time

FYI - Its new stems for the Kankge F3D/30 Im after. First and only flight was Sat....Some OilyBird called deadstick when i was on short final. Being the more experienced pilot and them flying a trainer, i ventured to the outlands side of the patch giving them the clear prop-mowed center stage. I was in a slight crab due to the crosswind when i touched.....20/20 hindsight proves that to be the wrong attitude No real damage, just dont want to be re-bending after every manditory landing

The gear was marginal to begin with AFA ground clearence and holding up 4.5 lbs when intended for 3-4.....Ahhhh a 1412/2y on 10x2000's does weigh a small chunk more than a .32 and a skirt of fuel - but then again it did swing that APC 9x9 OhhhSooo Sweetly !!

Full Writeup to follow....

Alan W

[This message has been edited by Alan W (edited 09-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Alan W (edited 09-10-2001).]
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Sep 11, 2001, 02:42 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
I just made a big CF landing gear for my Senior. Converted it to a taildragger and didn't like the plastic or aluminum ones I saw at the hobby store, too small. The CF legs are pretty strong and didn't weigh any more than the stock wire tricycle gear. I'll post pictures on my web site of the Senior and the CF landing gear after NEAT. I'm still tryin to get the Senior completed in time. Looks like It'll just make it.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Sep 11, 2001, 10:34 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Not carbon fibre, but some of the giant scale guys buy replacement gears from TNT. No first hand experience, but I understand TNT uses stronger but lighter aluminum and will custom make gears to your specs.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Feb 06, 2002, 03:15 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
TNT address

I've got a ton of addresses but none for TNT. Got the address?

Gerald,

Your picture and description of the gear you made for the Senior is excellent. I am reading and rereading it to see if I can understand and do it.

Thanks, Balin
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old Feb 06, 2002, 04:37 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
TNT address

The web site I have is www.tntlandinggear.com In case that's outdated, their phone number is (419) 868-5408

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Feb 07, 2002, 01:56 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
Alan,
Bolly (of Bolly props) makes carbon gear. I just saw some at the IMS show. I'd imagine it'll cost ya but they sure were nice looking. I think a nice pair could be made fairly easily provided you have carbon and decent Epoxy (West Systems or equivelant). I am planning on making some for the Extra. The plan is to do make a wooden form built from cheap old masonite, make an 1/8" deep channel by boxing in the shape I want with masonite strips, lay mylar or clear packing tape down on the surface, wax like crazy and lay the part up with combination of carbon weave and carbon uni/tow. I actually made an aluminum mold a few years back with alum. sheet and bent it up with a finger break. To close out the LG "bottom" surface I used pieces of plexi glass for a nice smooth surface.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy