Old Jun 02, 2009, 07:27 AM
schoeni
Switzerland
Joined Apr 2007
44 Posts
Alert
Spektrum DSM8 with dropouts

Hi guys

I had problems with the DSM8 module in a Futaba 9C.
My TX has repeatedly dropouts and my colleague had the same effect with his DSM8 and 9C.

The multi socket from Spektrum DSM8 is cheap inferior and, after a certain period only does bad contacts to the TX.

I have therefore a original Futaba connector ordered and these soldered in the DSM8.
The Futaba is gold and many better quality than the spectrum contact.

Since my module is working again without problems.

Also fits on, if you disruptions and bad checks. Check the module through movements. View of the LED from DSM8 module. Begins to blink when they move, this is the problem!
schoeni is offline Find More Posts by schoeni
Last edited by schoeni; Jun 02, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:57 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,689 Posts
I have a DM8 module that does this same thing, and it is getting much worse as time goes by. Came to the same conclusion that the connector is bad and needs to be replaced. The connector is a Molex KK series.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:39 PM
schoeni
Switzerland
Joined Apr 2007
44 Posts
Wow, we are not alone, though spektrum says that there is not!
Thank you for the information village_idiot.

We had contact with spektrum germany.
This assured us that such cases do not exist.

Had it repaired by Spektrum, would probably be no gold contact was used and the problem would be after 6 months occurred in exactly the same.

They reported the incident to spektrum USA. Spektrum USA is the problem seems not known .

Watch out if you tried.
Where the TX is not too long with this suspension.
It may seem to be that even the TX is hurt.

When you replace the connector, importent that you use the gold version.

My interest is that we are on the spectrum quality problem can draw attention
and know that we are not isolated cases.

It can not be that I have a sender for $ 1000 - buy and the Spektrum module caused disturbances, the fast times much money or even a human life may cost.
Last edited by schoeni; Jun 03, 2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:44 PM
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
I have a DM8 module that does this same thing, and it is getting much worse as time goes by. Came to the same conclusion that the connector is bad and needs to be replaced. The connector is a Molex KK series.

If you could swap out the Molex tin plated contacts with gold plated ones would that be worth doing? Or would you still have the same glitching problems 6 -12 months down the road?

Is the Molex connector (gold contact version) as good as the Futaba part in the long term?

Thanks,

Buzz
Tfour2 is offline Find More Posts by Tfour2
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:06 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,689 Posts
The futaba connector seems to have thicker gold, but the thick molex gold plated seem to work really well so far.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:13 PM
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
Quote:
The futaba connector seems to have thicker gold, but the thick molex gold plated seem to work really well so far.
Did you install the gold plated contacts yourself or did you have Horizon install them or were they factory installed when you purchased the Spektrum module?

Thanks,

Buzz
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:16 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,689 Posts
I haven't fixed my module yet, but I'm using some of the Molex on a project that plugs in to my 9C and it is fine. I'll fix my DM8 module when I get a chance since I have a few of the connectors around.

My second DM8 which I bought when the price went down last year doesn't seem to have this problem, at least not yet so maybe they found it and fixed it.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:31 PM
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
Quote:
I haven't fixed my module yet, but I'm using some of the Molex on a project that plugs in to my 9C and it is fine. I'll fix my DM8 module when I get a chance since I have a few of the connectors around.

My second DM8 which I bought when the price went down last year doesn't seem to have this problem, at least not yet so maybe they found it and fixed it.
Thanks for your reply VI. Hopefully Horizon has fixed this.

At least that's what I'd like to think. Please let us know if your newer DM8 module starts acting up.

Buzz
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:54 AM
schoeni
Switzerland
Joined Apr 2007
44 Posts
As mentioned above, I had to contact Horrizon Hobby germany. they told me that the error spectrum is not known and therefore no action is taken.

So fix yourself, then it works too!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:01 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,631 Posts
Or, just buy Futaba.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:13 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,535 Posts
Or keep the contacts coated with CRC 2-26.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
This explains a lot. I have a DM8 module with a 9Z that was working great until recently. It started with dropouts and weirdness that 2.4 was supposed to solve.

I just ordered a new module (for $109 with AR7000 it was the easiest thing to do). Can someone post the Futaba contact part number or a picture of how the changes were made to the mods?
cvause is offline Find More Posts by cvause
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:50 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,689 Posts
figure B 5 contacts gold plated at $0.96 each:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/638/1450.pdf
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
VI, thanks for the hook up.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
For what it's worth, I did a little troubleshooting today. First, I re-bound the rx to the transmitter.

I tried to "jiggle" the module, but the light stayed constant. Then I did a range check with the kluge antenna that is supplied with the module. No dice. The controls would look up around 25-30 paces and then would not come back until I released the button and walked in to around 15 paces. This was repeated many times with the range test locking out around 25 paces. Not a good result.

Then, I swapped out the Spektrum antenna with a 2.2dbi WiFi antenna that I've been using in the shop for setups and testing. Guess what? Good range check's all around.

It seems that my issues are with the antenna. Maybe the cable is crimped or broken, but now I have low confidence in the module system. I love my 9Z, but at this point I'm really nervous about flying any glow models with this setup.

With the good deals on the x9303 systems right now, I may have to break down and walk away from the WCII. I have more money and time in my airplanes than the radio. If I could have complete confidence in a 9303, then that is probably worth the change.