HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2009, 11:08 AM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
Discussion
Help picking a NICE Sailplane (carbon fiber)

I need help form the experts, i have been flying for about nine months now. I am ready to move up to a Sailplane. I would like to get a carbon fiber sail plane. I would like to keep it around $500.00 dollars or less. I would appriceate any feed back or possible links to a web sites. Thanks in advance

Javier
javie4 is offline Find More Posts by javie4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:28 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
don't think on exists in that price range, unless you go used.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:45 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,965 Posts
Hi Javier,

Rather than starting out with price, how about we start out with what kind of sailplane you would like to have.

Are you thinking to fly a thermal duration, (flatland) type plane, or a slope aircraft?

What size? 2-meter or larger? Some planes are pretty darn big, with a fuselage of better than 60-inch long and wing panels that are even longer.

Are looking for a plane with ailerons and flaps or a more simple RES plane? (if it's the aileron and flap plane, do you have a radio capable of working those controls in harmony with the plane, as designed?)

Do you intend to launch from a hi-start or winch?

What exactly do you mean when you say a carbon fiber plane? What we consider an all carbon construction plane is truly not all carbon for the most part. It will have layers of carbon on the wing skin with other materials. There are a lot of planes that are carbon reinforced in critical areas, but use conventional materials in the non-critical spots.

Just some basic things to think about. As Fly2High mentions, you might consider a used model. But in order for anyone to make some suggestions to you, please let us know what you have in mind to fly. That way, maybe somebody may have something they can help you with. Let us know about where you live, as you never know....somebody with the plane you like might live close by.

Thanks and good luck!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jun 01, 2009, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
Thanks for the help guys,
I was told from some of the guys at the air field in van Nuys that i should get a carbon fiber glider. So that is why i asked for help. I currently have an brushless easy star and i am in the air for a long time.

Maybe i should of said something other than foam!!
I have a DX6i spectrum radio.
i have only flown on flat land thermals.
Size = i was thinking 4 feet wing spand
wings= simple RES like the easy star rudder and elevator
javie4 is offline Find More Posts by javie4
Old Jun 01, 2009, 02:51 PM
Unshaven yokel
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
1,483 Posts
Greetings!

4 feet is on the very small end of sailplane size. That restricts you to hand launch, or some very small electric sailplanes (Accent or Aspire I think, I didn't think they flew well).

For 500$ you could get a very nice kevlar or carbon hand launch glider. You wouldn't want to put it on a histart/winch, and you'd get about the same height anyways giving it a hand toss.

I've never dealt with them before, or seen there planes, but http://www.arthobby.com has alot of stuff.

Dunno if you have any building skills. Some of the 'premade planes' still require a considerable amount of work to put together, so double check before you commit to buy something. This guy at the last contest paid 500$ for a plane, and still had to assemble it (Took him 36 hours).

Most normal gliders are larger than 6 feet, and except for hand launch, 6 feet is about the lower end of small for sailplanes. If your concern is transport space, then you can accommodate larger planes by getting multi-piece wings, which is very common. If your concern is the flying field size, then I would personally stay towards the smaller size. (Larger sailplanes can easily use a 1000 foot landing area)
sparkysko is offline Find More Posts by sparkysko
Old Jun 01, 2009, 03:00 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,257 Posts
Starting our with a realistic price is great and very smart when one is on a committed budjet. Natually, our hobby is supported by COD and a host of other personal conditions.

There are a few good to great used ships that come up from time to time here in your price, and with all the gear to boot.

Best of luck on your search, and am confident you will find her soon. Especially with all the support here on RCG in the only Real airplane forums of sailplanes and glider.

Jared

*Anyone can fly power!
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:25 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
Is this going to be an electric launched glider, a hi-start launched glider or a winch launched glider?

Note that 2.4 GHz radios don't like carbon fuselage planes. The Carbon will block out the signal to the radio. You will have to drill holes and extend the antennas out of hte fuselage.

Unless you are flying competition, there is really no need for a carbon fuselage glider.

So, how you gonna launch this glider?

Assuming this will be an electric launched glider, here are some 1.4M to 2.5M (55 to 100 inch) suggestions:

Ascent
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5803

Omega Poly
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2862

F5J Star
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=267

Radian ( yes it is foam, but a great package and flies great)
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=266

Thermal Rider
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...?ProductID=107

Sky Walker
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=62

These might be of interest.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
Moncton, NB
Joined Aug 2005
155 Posts
javie4, you haven't mentioned if you're willing to build from a kit.

I think it's a good idea to stick with RES for your next intermediate-level model. With RES, you only need to fly with the right stick and it's easier to maintain smooth thermal turns.

Unless your flying area is limited in size, go more towards a 3 meter wingspan. It's hard to describe, but the larger models just seem to fly better. They also handle the wind better.

Once you've mastered thermal flight, then you can decide if you want to go full house.

This is from a guy who's trying to improve his thermal skills and is glad that he doesn't have to fiddle with separate aileron/rudder controls.
ecormier is offline Find More Posts by ecormier
Last edited by ecormier; Jun 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Guy's

javie4 has not responded since the 1st I think he is over it.

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:58 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,229 Posts
Yeah, perhaps he moved on, but the question was/is a good one

I would never had thought it before but after seeing a multiplex cularis fly i was very surprised and impressed.

Being a balsa stick+tissue guy at heart i could never have imagined how easy it would be for a novice to basically walk in to the local hobby shop and walk out with a 95% completed fullhouse glider that flew pretty well ( i didn't say great...) for much less than 500$.

Stuff like this has really moved the model airplane hobby forward and sustained user interest and participation.

back to my pile of balsa shavings

js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:15 PM
Denver CO
Joined Oct 2007
275 Posts
Find a used Topaz or AVA. Or if you can move your price a little, you can get a Topaz new for 750 without radio. Great 3m res planes. You will never outgrow. The best thing is even though they are res, they can virtually take a full pedal launch, though you do not need to.

They are the most competitive ARF res planes on the market. In a good pilots hand they will compete with the moldies as well.

Bruce
RBMartin is offline Find More Posts by RBMartin