HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
My Velox weighs a porky 9.2 pounds, but is also very overpowered with a Hacker A60-5XS in it. My 6S pack was originally at the wing tube (for initial flight) with 1.75oz. of lead between the tail wheel bracket and fuselage, and rudder servo in the back.. This was with my aluminum motor mount, and as noted a heavy motor. I have since established the true CG, and I am quite sure that with the motor box I designed and had laser cut that I can remove the lead. but just haven't had a chance to go through the plane and re-do everything. The pack is now about one inch from the wing tube.

As to being "light and floaty" I have never really thought of Velox's as being like that....more just a 3D animal...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Apr 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Ok so I'm about right with mine. I'm about a bec pro from the wing tube with a pull pull. The 4325 might be a little heavier than the hacker. haven't looked it up.

Thanks
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:10 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
775 Posts
I never thought my gasser Velox would be lighter than a electric. Mine is like 9.1 lbs with gas. I was trying to be good about keeping the weight down as much as I could.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,398 Posts
In flying a 9lbs 6oz 8s 3k watt velox
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
208 Posts
I am trying to install SFGs on my velox 68. I ordered them from ADChobbystore. They didn't come with a spacer. But don't they come with a spacer originally?? which is also shown on the build videos. Does anyone know where to get those spacers? Thanks.
ThreeDwannabe is offline Find More Posts by ThreeDwannabe
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe View Post
I am trying to install SFGs on my velox 68. I ordered them from ADChobbystore. They didn't come with a spacer. But don't they come with a spacer originally?? which is also shown on the build videos. Does anyone know where to get those spacers? Thanks.
Make them.....no big deal....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
208 Posts
Hey Steve! Too lazy and too busy to do that, Steve! I need a lazy man solution. Like ordering them! .I will try to call Jason (who bought your plane) and see if he still has them.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
Hey Steve! Too lazy and too busy to do that, Steve! I need a lazy man solution. Like ordering them! .I will try to call Jason (who bought your plane) and see if he still has them.
I don't remember any being with the kit.. But looks like they are just made of 1/8" balsa, trace the end of the wing onto some balsa and cut them out...or for that matter even a couple of layers of thin cardboard....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
208 Posts
I double checked the build video for extra 57" which comes with a spacer. I thought that spacer comes with any plane with SFG. So I am not really sure if I really have to use spacer with the velox but it makes sense to use it to avoid any friction with the ailerons...Anyway, thats good advice I will get some 1/8" balsa from aeromicro next time I get a chance to go there.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
I double checked the build video for extra 57" which comes with a spacer. I thought that spacer comes with any plane with SFG. So I am not really sure if I really have to use spacer with the velox but it makes sense to use it to avoid any friction with the ailerons...Anyway, thats good advice I will get some 1/8" balsa from aeromicro next time I get a chance to go there.
The manual does show them... but like I said, even a couple of spacers of thin cardboard would work as like you said, they are just to keep the ailerons from rubbing..

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
Bob418
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
1 is good, 2 are better :)

Just got the second Velox built, just in case
bob418 is offline Find More Posts by bob418
Last edited by bob418; Dec 18, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: sp
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The manual does show them... but like I said, even a couple of spacers of thin cardboard would work as like you said, they are just to keep the ailerons from rubbing..

SteveT
Thanks Steve. I also downloaded the manual too.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jan 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob418 View Post
Just got the second Velox built, just in case
That's awesome Bob. Let me know if you want to sell one of them...if you ever get bored.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
Bob418
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
That's awesome Bob. Let me know if you want to sell one of them...if you ever get bored.
No plan to sell them! But planning on flying the crap out them
bob418 is offline Find More Posts by bob418
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,863 Posts
Hey fellow Velox fans!

I flew mine on a Haiyin 6S 3000 40-50C batteries the other day. It was so much fun and really, really floaty.

Flew it for 4-minutes. Had 1000mah left in the pack when I charged it.

I may get a couple of 6S 4000 batteries for short flights.

-Buzzed

Merry Christmas!
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed