HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,461 Posts
What color velox? Might be interested in the rudder!
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
70 Velox canopy ejection

I had my canopy fly off the plane twice today. The first time it was to far away and I could not see why it came off. After looking for an hour in the woods we found it, but could not tell why it came off, everything was fine on the canopy and the fuse of the plane. The second time up I kept the plane in close and on the second pass of the field you could see the canopy start to rise off the fuse and eject from the plane. The only possible cause would be air pressure inside the fuse pushing off the canopy. I have the cooling air holes cut out per the manual in the bottom of the fuse and I have the plywood "3dhs" plate glued in the back of the canopy. Anybody else have this problem and what suggestions do you have to fix the problem?
mzl969 is offline Find More Posts by mzl969
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
is the latching pin passing the front edge of the rear plate enough?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,117 Posts
The 68" version was famous for ejecting canopies. Ben in person told me that the new version had fixed the issue. I resorted to using canopy bolts retrofitted from a broke 71 Slick canopy. I am watching my new 70" like a hawk. I glued in the canopy latch myself and it is very stiff, so as long as I make sure it is forward I should be OK.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Knock on wood, I've tumbled mine pretty hard and never lost one yet. I did make sure the locking pin is going all the way through the wood backing plate on the canopy.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Knock on wood, I've tumbled mine pretty hard and never lost one yet. I did make sure the locking pin is going all the way through the wood backing plate on the canopy.
Me too.....so far so good...

Just like I intend to live forever.....so far so good...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Yes, looking through the canopy I can see the pin through the wood retaining collar.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
The canopy latch is firmly in place, that's the 1st thing I checked the first time the canopy ejected. I went over the latch during assembly with thin CA also. I was wondering if I took out the 3dhs backplate in the canopy if that would make a difference? I have flown the plane at least 6 or 7 times and this is the first issue I have had with the canopy.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,148 Posts
Noll had mentioned making sure the latch is glued in properly.....just make sure you don't get any glue into the latch...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Noll had mentioned making sure the latch is glued in properly.....just make sure you don't get any glue into the latch...

SteveT
As tight as the canopy fits under the cowl the last thing I thought would eject would be the canopy. The latch is firmly glued in place and the latch pin goea all the way through the collar in the canopy.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
We also recommend cutting a vent hole in covering on the bottom of the fuse.
horton is online now Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Lost my 71 the other day to a lose servo screw, lots of folks fly the slicks but yall fly the velox. How does it compare to the slick? I may go a different direction this time. I also have a 72, and 74 if that factors into a comparision. I really like the yellow\red. But they have both orange 71 and yellow velox in stock. Power setup would be 8s, 4325 at 330.

I do tend to like the slower near stall stuff over the high speed energy stuff if that helps.

I guess the new velox doesn't come with a E motor box?

Thanks,
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,364 Posts
New Velox comes with an E motor box. Or mine did at least.
Comparison - the Velox is more agile than the Slick. It is easier to get down low with for me as it's easier to hover/harrier/throw around. You can be sloppier with a hover and still bring the nose back up when it starts to fall off. Overall the plane is just more maneuverable than the Slick. It doesn't have quite as much of that 'big plane' smoothness and feel that the other three you mentioned do. But I like it for precisely that reason. To me, when I had a 70" Slick and 72" Extra they flew so similarly that I couldn't justify keeping both. But the Velox flies differently enough that I really really enjoyed it.
It is rock solid in harrier too, especially with the SFG's on.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Good info Ryan! Does it have the pitch authority of the Edge and Extra. I like that. Once I got use to the edge and extras pitch control, I liked it a lot. The slick has more yaw control IMO and is a big help in learning to hover, etc. But I was able to learn around that and like pitch over yaw these days.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,364 Posts
Yep. Maybe more even
It's also lighter than the others by a good bit. Mine was about 1/2 lb lighter than the Slick with the same setup in it. So it feels more powerful
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m