1,301 Posts
Thanks Steve!
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
70 Velox with a Mintor 22. Got her maidened today... flies like a dream. Mintor needs some tweaking so I'm going to leave the cowl off for now. I LOVE this plane. No trimming needed at all on maiden. Lands like a trainer. I'm very happy!

flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Excellent!!!! As a "half-arsed" hobby machinist, I really get a kick out of seeing nicely made engines like that, and the Mintor really looks good....If they run as good as they look, they will be outstanding engines....

You also did a very nice job on the install!! Can't wait to see a video!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,301 Posts
+1 on how good the Mintors look! Is that blue painters tape holding your wires down or something else? Make sure you wrap your ignition wire when you put your cowl on!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Not sure if this is your first gasser or not but Josh has a good point. Tie everything down well!!! Also not trying to offend just offering friendly help, but your motor will run compleatly different when you put on the cowl, i would sugest mount it and tune it with it on.

Have fun with your new bird it a sweet one!
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Did you hand start the mintor okay?

Is that the mount that comes with the velox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy9994 View Post
70 Velox with a Mintor 22. Got her maidened today... flies like a dream. Mintor needs some tweaking so I'm going to leave the cowl off for now. I LOVE this plane. No trimming needed at all on maiden. Lands like a trainer. I'm very happy!
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
flyboy, I was excited about my maiden too. I didn't need but three clicks of elev. Could you comment on the mintor's perf? I've got my trusty dle 20, and it's not insane power. It's enough. I also have the blue scheme, but don't like that the bottom is similar in color to top, and I feel I must add more color to distinguish top from bottom.
WindGap is offline Find More Posts by WindGap
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
I'm just curious, does anyone have a photo of the 70" Velox beside the 72" Extra? Is it significantly smaller?
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
I'm just curious, does anyone have a photo of the 70" Velox beside the 72" Extra? Is it significantly smaller?
Some.....Not significantly.....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Hey Chad I was flying both Tuesday, and the Velox has a smaller plane feel to it then the 72. I think the 72 presents in the air bigger b/c of the longer tail moment of the extra. The Velox feels closer to the high 50" class planes to me and I think b/c of how it tumbles and pitches on around on it self. The velox is just so high energy that it feels very different than my 72 and 71. Now I really like taking the 72 up and running slow and point rolls across the field b/c it is very precise, but enjoy the Velox for just wicked tumbles and down low huckin!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:36 AM
The RED filters through
Rendon, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
Hey Chad I was flying both Tuesday, and the Velox has a smaller plane feel to it then the 72. I think the 72 presents in the air bigger b/c of the longer tail moment of the extra. The Velox feels closer to the high 50" class planes to me and I think b/c of how it tumbles and pitches on around on it self. The velox is just so high energy that it feels very different than my 72 and 71. Now I really like taking the 72 up and running slow and point rolls across the field b/c it is very precise, but enjoy the Velox for just wicked tumbles and down low huckin!
I really like that description of the Velox. It makes me want one even though I still have a 74 NIB that needs to be built.
Where's the drool emote?
RedTalon is offline Find More Posts by RedTalon
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
I think I will pick up a Velox at some point, but if there was a bigger one than 68" I would run to 3DHS (not walk). Its the same size as my H9 funtana that I also have a DLE20 on. Why is it that almost all giant planes out there are Extras, Yaks, Sukhoi, SBACH replica scale models.

How about a GIANT Velox. A GIANT Funtana. A GIANT _________ (fill in the blank). I'm talking 50-100 cc not 30cc.
hooliganpilot is offline Find More Posts by hooliganpilot
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
hooliganpilot, sent ya a PM on the Funtana. THANKS,HUNKUS
Hunkus is offline Find More Posts by Hunkus
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy9994 View Post

That is a beautiful plane and engine combination Flyboy! I hate that I missed seeing you take it out. I'll be looking forward to seeing it at the field soon...
...Maybe this weekend?

Cheers
Mike
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
285 Posts
Flyboy, I sent you a PM about this weekend.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d