HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Jul 2006
784 Posts
I guess they would be okay on LiFe batteries. Can anyone confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Yep, and they are very quick on 6v. I've got them in my 70" Slick. Very nice and crisp servos. I've got a set of 4 7955's that are going into my 68, but only because I happened to have them laying around. Very seriously thinking of selling them and going after 4 of the Align DS-610's/Savox 1258's. (same thing)
You can often find the DS-610's for sale on helifreak.com and runryder.com as the heli guys pull them out of the trex kits and sell them in favor of even faster/stronger servos.
Spline is futaba compatible by the way.
rmr24 is offline Find More Posts by rmr24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Confirmed. I know several folks who run the DS610s off a straight 2S LiFE / A123.
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jul 2006
784 Posts
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Confirmed. I know several folks who run the DS610s off a straight 2S LiFE / A123.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:41 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr24 View Post
I guess they would be okay on LiFe batteries. Can anyone confirm?
Two of mine are still running on 7v regulated, so 6.6v will be fine
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
Two of mine are still running on 7v regulated, so 6.6v will be fine
Okay, I'm going with the Savox 1258.

Velox arrived today, looks even better in person than in the photos. Four days PA to TX ain't bad, used to take three days from Fredericksburg.

Still debating electric or gas, I have both set-ups on hand right now (A50 12L / DLE 20), but I'm really, really liking my OS 33 powered Slick. Anyone else thinking of putting a 33 on the Velox? (if the OS 22 was available, it would be a no-brainier).
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr24 View Post
Okay, I'm going with the Savox 1258.

Velox arrived today, looks even better in person than in the photos. Four days PA to TX ain't bad, used to take three days from Fredericksburg.

Still debating electric or gas, I have both set-ups on hand right now (A50 12L / DLE 20), but I'm really, really liking my OS 33 powered Slick. Anyone else thinking of putting a 33 on the Velox? (if the OS 22 was available, it would be a no-brainier).
dang, must be nice! Mine won't get to Arkansas until tuesday I think, and I'll be on vacation when it gets here. Me being closer you would think I would get it quicker! But it seems Arkansas takes longer for everything. Most 3dhs packages take a week or so now. Was sure nice when they were in Texas, only took 2 days then!
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,357 Posts
I have been thinking of doing up a Velox with a 30cc. I have a 68 with a Mintor 22 and it took a lot to get it to balance. I asked Ben about this very subject at FLI he said you would have to do these steps to get a DLE-30 to balance

servos in the tail (I use 3 with a seperate elevator, but 2 is possible)
battery in the turtle deck.
fuel tank built on top of the spar

Since the OS is even heavier I have a lot of reservation in using it, just because you are going to face the possibility of having to add weight in the tail to get a 3D CG.

My 22 has the three servos in the tail and the batteries aft on where pull, pull would have been and it is just barely at a nice 3D CG.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
My 22 has the three servos in the tail and the batteries aft on where pull, pull would have been and it is just barely at a nice 3D CG.
I had a similar experience. I've moved the rudder servo to the tail, have the flight pack where the rudder servo was and it's still marginally too nose heavy for good 3D. It won't go super-flat in a blender like my 42" Slick.

But on the other hand, it'll fly for 15+ minutes on 8oz of fuel.

Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,470 Posts
Humm with all this CG talk. Is the Motrolfly 4325 to heavy? Will be using an 8s 4K lipo setup. I also installed the rudder in the tail
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
852 Posts
Losi, I set my 68 per 3DHS specs (Hacker A50-16S and 6S) and it balanced neutral with the back out 6" from the fire wall... not sure the 70 will be any different but 8S may be to much in the nose... testing will prove that theory I would think...

when is the maiden?
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:22 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,470 Posts
When the motors get back from repair. Was going to throw the 5320 in it but I don't think it makes much sense to do so
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:17 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
I had a similar experience. I've moved the rudder servo to the tail, have the flight pack where the rudder servo was and it's still marginally too nose heavy for good 3D. It won't go super-flat in a blender like my 42" Slick.

But on the other hand, it'll fly for 15+ minutes on 8oz of fuel.

Chris
I have a 12 oz tank in mine and I probably could push it way past 25 minutes. ghoffman had his original DLE-20 bird with a 16oz tank and 40 minutes was possible. This is the good side of this bird. I really think it needs a little more power, but I am not seeing a 30cc work super well. If you want stupid power for 3D flying I am afraid electric wins.

If someone proves me wrong I will be estatic and go out and copy them right away. This plane is so much fun to fly and might even, dare I say it, fly better than my 71 Slick. Just the Slick has a M38 in it and it has stupid power and will fly 15 minutes or so on a 16oz tank.

Since my 89 is down for at least a week I think I am going to alternate between the two tomorrow.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Humm with all this CG talk. Is the Motrolfly 4325 to heavy? Will be using an 8s 4K lipo setup. I also installed the rudder in the tail
I think you will be just fine. I flew my old one on 6s, not 8s, with batteries in the 775 gram range. The motor was a Rimfire 1.20 which is 15-16oz. Tiny bit lighter than the 4325. I had my batteries about in the middle, still had a couple inches to go backwards. That was for a very slightly noseheavy CG, shallow dive while doing the inverted method of CG checking. The 4325 should be just fine I'm betting. Depends more on your batteries I suppose, some 4s packs will be in the 850-900 gram range, but even then, if they are back at the wing tube I think it would balance.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
dare I say it, fly better than my 71 Slick.
ditto,I LOVED my 68, had over 200 flights on it and was sad when it went in at the Ohio HF. I am contemplating of selling my 74 in favor of a new Velox, will see.
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,171 Posts
How does 74 fly compared to Slick and Velox?
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg