HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2009, 09:17 PM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Discussion
Using a carbon fiber control rod

I have what is probably a dumb question....

I have decided to use carbon fiber control rods to the rudder and elevator.. The carbon rods come with small plastic tips that glue on to the ends of the carbon fiber rods when they are cut to size. The tips have male 4/40 threaded ends. How do I connect these ends to the metal control rods that I want to go to the control horn on one end and the servo on the other. I usually use Z bends on the servo end and an adjustable clevis on the other end. In the case of the rudder, I must use a metal rod as it needs to bend to come up out of the fuselage and get at the right angle to attach to the control horn on the rudder.

I have not been able to find any female to female fittings that would connect the male end from the carbon rod to the male end of the metal control rod..

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2009, 08:22 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,222 Posts
I thought I knew what you were talking about but I am still confused....can you send a pic?.....perhaps a Golden rod would suit your needs better as you can bend them any way you need to, to hook up to the control horn
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jun 01, 2009, 07:38 PM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Here is a picture..

I have a carbon rod, which is glued on to a coupler which is 4/40 threaded. I need to attach this to a wire control rod. I need to do this on each end. On one end, the metal wire will attach to the servo, and on the other end it will attach to the control horn. I usually use a z bend for the servo, so the other end needs to be adjustable, and in the case of the rudder linkage, needs to bend to come up out of the fuselage to be parallel to the control horn.

This shows the carbon rod, the carbon rod coupler, and the wire control rod (the actual ones I will use are shorter, but this communicates what needs to be done.)

Am I missing something obvouos? I THINK I need a threaded female link to screw on to the carbon coupler, and either a female threaded link to screw on to the control rod. Alternatively, I could also use a solder connection for the link to the metal control rod..

Thanks,

Larry
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann
Old Jun 01, 2009, 09:21 PM
Port Macquarie, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
116 Posts
Hi Larry,

The idea with the cf rods is to remove any flex in the linkage between servo and control surface. Usually ball links or clevis connect each end of the cf rod via the end coupler. What you propose will work but rather defeats the benefit of the cf control rod if you have a bent length of 4/40 rod in the system which will introduce flex. If you are unable to change the routing of the control rods to do away with the need to bend 4/40 rod and you wish to have a flex free connection from servo to control surface I would suggest that you look at a push /pull set up.

Cheers,

Colin
crash campbell is offline Find More Posts by crash campbell