SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:48 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFR View Post
i always had a weak spot for the type VII, for me the real example of the 2 WW Uboat
My sentiments as well. Keep it coming Manfred. Enjoying this.
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:07 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Thanks Ken,

Yeah, it's fun to do, each time i'm getting closer to my goal.

Recently i've got some pictures from the bow part, all those panels were clearly visible, so scribed down the panels and drilled the countless holes.

Gave it a paintjob with the standard brush, in those years a broom was used for painting the deck, fast and efficient.

Upgrading the frontdeck triggered me to start some work on the reardeck, started to collect some aluminum diamond shaped plating from the spare department, you can get this stuff from Verlinden, scale 1/35.

At first i did a test to see if it could work, stripped down the far rear section and glued the plate one, the result was promising and gave me the push to go ahead.

Sanded down the rearpart for more grip and cutted one plate to it's size.

Used some clamps to let it cure for 24 hrs, after that i could cut it to it's definitive size and shape, to be continued.

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:25 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Since i was re doing the rearpart, the jumperwires could use also some attention, upgrading this means a lot less problems for me,

I had some problems with wearing down the jumperwires by friction, to solve this problem i added some tiny rollers.

This is the idea, now the jumperwires can roll, solving the wearing problem, it's not entirely scale, but it works for me, hidden underneat the deck are the tensionsprings.

Next step was, deviding the deck into equal parts and signing off the holes for the bolts.

Building up the deck is tedious, i use wooden clamps because the aluminum is easely damaged.

But after some sessions i could see what the result would be, i do regular dryfitts to see if it still matches, and it gives me the inspiration to push futher.

This was a gamble, i wondered if it was possible to make the maintenance rudderhatches work, they are pretty small.

It took some time, but now she was all cladded with diamond shaped plate, at this point i discovered a major mistake, the panels where way too big, smacked myself against the head, i had to devide them again and glue them back on, to be continued.

Manfred.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:16 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Added some items which were removed prior to the upgrade, re devided the panels and gave it a paintjob, pictures.

The beginning of the towing eye which is located at the far rear part.

Soldered all loose things together.

Dryfitting the towing eye on the rearpart.

Building up the bars for the venthole of the rear trimtank, used sticky tape to keep it at it's place.

Pre bended the outer pieces, and soldered them in one attempt.

Flat sanded it with the dremel to the right height and glued it tight with 2K glue.

Re cutted the panels and glued them back again.

Gave it a paintjob by hand, using a airbrush would give it a too clean look.

This is a picture from the real thing, which triggered the upgrade of the rear part.

And here is the endresult, it's difficult to find the right angle for making the same picture, but i'm pleased with the result.

Manfred.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:27 AM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
Hi Manfred, just read the entire thread. Amazing work. My jaw dropped open on the video of the torpedo loading mechanism working. And all of the detail in each piece that you make. Stunning work. I enjoy the challenge of getting things to work, and you exceed that! Keep it coming. How old is this VIIC?
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:35 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Thanks Ken,

Making things work like you also do is also my main challence, especially when people say, it can't be done.
I also learn a lot from your build, gives me a other perspective to look at things, and solves issue's for my boats, we use the forum like intended.

The grey old lady is now about 25 years old, started with her in 1988, and still adding/ altering things.

Manfred.