HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 01:53 PM
just a modeler
LA
Joined May 2008
368 Posts
Love the video Manfred. Great running boat. Wish we could run mine and your together. I have no submarine friends in Los Angeles to run with.

Steve
BK 1125 is offline Find More Posts by BK 1125
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 09:37 PM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
853 Posts
Thank you Manfred.
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old May 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Tried the launchsystem for my torpedo's today, all worked fine, enjoy the vid.

testing the launch of the torpedo above the surface (1 min 44 sec)

Greetings Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:54 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Last May the 24th we had a submeeting at biddinghuizen the Netherlands, lots of differend subs, made a vid from this meeting.
Yearly subbuilders meeting at the Netherlands (6 min 9 sec)

Another subbuilder made also a vid from this meeting enjoy,

subsail 2010 (7 min 30 sec)
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:23 PM
1/33 scale Dutch submarine
IJmuiden, Netherlands
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
Nz vids :)

Ahoy Manfred,

Nice videos. I'm on them as well I noticed
And the torpedo is working great.
Do you go to the submeeting in Köln, Germany in august? Like to see it for real.

Best regards (groeten),

Léon van der Horst
www.walrusklasse.nl, www.leonvanderhorst.nl, www.willem-ruys.nl
Walrusklasse is offline Find More Posts by Walrusklasse
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:49 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Leon,

Cologne Germany is on the list and Mol in Belgium, Biddinghuizen was a nice oppertunity to test the Marder minisub, just to see how far she could go.
The VIIC type also worked well, a bit bigger but just as nice

Greetings Manfred.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Due to the V80 build i had a buildingstop on the VIIC type, but i'm in full swing again for finishing up the things i had to do.

Firstly i added a small item to the torpedoloadsystem, it's a small clipboard with a white T, they used this to indicate that torpedoloading was in progress.

Placed at the right spot on the antennawire.

Found me a nice pic on the web for some humour on the boat, this is the start.

The lucky guy that will take place at the seat.

A dryfitt to see if i have to alter some things.

Placed at a private place beside the conningtower.

The most difficult part was to make the pants down position, made a small pant from aluminum foil to imitate this.

For those who are wondering how it's looking for real.

Greetings Manfred.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Since i'm allready working on some improvements on the type VII i'll fill you guys in, last year i had a weightissue, she tended to roll, not much but i wanted to improve that.

This device could be the solution for my problem, i've got the plug from a good friend and fellowbuilder, he adviced me to build the Gruppenhorchgerat, so i could replace some more lead from above to under the waterline.

I had a stroke of luck when he called me, he had found the original molds, this would make my task easier.

Prepared the molds and laid down some glassfibre and epoxy.

After hardening and trimming down the edges, it got me this.

Putting the halves together with some tape, i also could make a dryfitt to see if the shape was right for placing at the bow.

Glued the halves together with some chopped fibre and epoxy.

Once joined, it was time to make some floodholes, and gave her some layers of primer, just to see where i had to add some filler.

Added the filler, and the beloved task of sanding could begin.

After some sanding it was time to add some details, like the sensors, stamped them from thin aluminum plate 0,3 mm and glued them with CA glue.

Gave her a couple of layers paint, since i've used CA glue i had to seal off the sensors, on the long term CA will dissolve due to the use in water.

Using a small curved hobbyknive i scraped down the paintlayers to give the sensors the metallook.

This was the goal, placing the lead inside the GHG, this offers me a lower CG, next to it the old baskett, which was placed above the waterline.
This week i want to prepare the bow for fitting the GHG, this means i have to remove the sensors on the bow, and drilling and tapping some holes.

Greetings Manfred.
Old May 01, 2011, 05:06 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Finished up the work on the GHG, still have to paint the old places where the sensors on the bow where.
I want to weather them slightly, just to indicate that the GHG was placed during a later period.

It's secured on the bow by a pin and a 3mm screw, this way i can take it off for adding or removing the lead inside.
Also made a short vid to show how this way of securing is working

Modifications on the type VIIC (2 min 34 sec)

Greetings Manfred.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:14 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
It has been a while, but i still work now and then on my type VII, mostly to improve certain parts documented with new pictures from the web.
Let's start with the works from last year, pictures.

This is the hydraulic ram used in the real live to lift the snorkelmast, found some new info to replace it for something more scale.

By using some greencard and some copper plating and wires i rebuilded it into a more scale one.

I tried to make the sliding part functional, this had to be connected to the mast.

Adding some extra details like scale nuts.

connected to the mast in the lower position.

When you raise the mast, the inner part of the hydraulic ram wil slide out into this position.

Manfred.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:27 PM
just a modeler
LA
Joined May 2008
368 Posts
Outstanding!

Steve
BK 1125 is offline Find More Posts by BK 1125
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:09 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Thanks Steve, good to hear from you, my friend.

I'll post some more pictures from the steps following the build of the hydraulic ram.

There are two rings located at the snorkelmast, one is used for locking in the down position, the other used for locking in the upper position.

Unlike the modern subs, the snorkelmast was raised by hand with the help of the hydraulic ram, this was only possible above the surface, when raised it was locked into the claw present at the pictures, underneath the claw there is a kind of lockingmechanism, by turning it the mast was locked through one of the rings attached to the mast.
At first i had made a very crude lockingdevice shown at the upper picture, and changed it into more scale shown at the lower picture, this time it dissapeared into the tower like it should.

Since the size of the ram now was made at the correct scale it would not fit under the deck like intended, marked the aeria which i had to cut out.

Cutted out the piece with the dremeltool and gave it a paintjob, compared to the pictures i have this is much better.

This is the actual drawing which triggered all those events for changing it on my boat, i always do first some intensive research before i decide if i want to change things, besides this drawing i also gathered a lot of pictures from the snorkeldevice and hydraulic ram, the difficult factor on this item is, there are not that much pictures to find on the web, used also some stills from youtube to get a better impression how to make these changes.

Manfred.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
Manfred,
It is so fun to watch what you do. Your sub is amazing and shows your passion so well. Your work is inspiring!
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:35 AM
BUCURESTI
Joined Feb 2009
198 Posts
I REALLY AM SPEECHLESS. It's unbelievable what a man can do from Passion.
So Great!. Thank You for Sharing with as.
profesorul is offline Find More Posts by profesorul
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:36 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
372 Posts
Thanks Guys i really appreciate your comments.

Tom,
Imagine, this boat was my very first big one which i builded, the only mistake i made was, i wanted to get it in the water too fast, without really giving attentions to the details, it looked OK from a distance, but when you really focused in it reveiled the mistakes.
In the late 80"s i met some German Uboat Veterans in Belgium, they provided me with a wealth on details how things should look.
From that point the madness, or passion as you call it, has begun, really no idea when it will end.

Marius,

Passion, yeah, i call it madness, some people ask me, does it really dive?, expecting it won't because all of the details, would it dive different without all the details?, probably not, but i always had a weak spot for the type VII, for me the real example of the 2 WW Uboat war

Manfred.