HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:28 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Next step was the making of the plancks covering the upper decks of the tower.
Since using real wood was not a option for me, i used plastick strips, made them rough by using crude sandpaper.

First stage was to make a paper mold of the decks, then i layed down the frame to hold the plancks.

Cutting the plancks to the right width, lenght doesn't matter because this is trimmed of accourding to the paper mold.

I have glued the plancks to the first made frame, to keep the spaces right used leftovers between them.

This is the rough result after glueing all the plancks.

The result after trimming of the extra parts accourding to the paper mold.
The only problem was, that i had made a mistake about the width, so i had to repeat the whole process with the right plancks.

The endresult was far better than the first cut, this mostly due to the experience i made with the first cut.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:02 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts

The endresult of building the hatch for the conningtower.

The clamp that keeps the hatch open.

Placing the hatch inside the tower.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:52 PM
longest title i could think of
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
thanks

Great Boat Mate. I've watched all your videos on Youtube atleast 10 times. I am simply amazed at your craftsmanship. And now You have a build log on RC groups. Keep up the Great Work!

Best of Luck,
Wesley
Foche-Achgelis is offline Find More Posts by Foche-Achgelis
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:28 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Hello Wesley,

Thanks for the compliments, youtube was indeed a startingpoint to show what was possible, but i've never made the whole picture complete, so that's why i started overhere a build log, i have a simular log on the dutch forum and there are plans to start one on the german forum.
I get a lot of questions how things are made, i want to share as much info as i can to help other subbuilders, for myself i had to figure it all out how things work and how to build them.
Last edited by MFR; Jun 20, 2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:46 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
The next challenge was to move the antennas of the tower up and down.

First a made a sort of mockup to test if this lift would work, these are the components.

Putting everything together gave this a a result.

Next step was to fit it in, there was not much room so i've made some modifications to the size.

Than i made a mockup to test it with a e motor, using a o ring as a drivingbelt to get the spindle up and down.

Made it possible for the hohentwiel antenna to go up and down following a guide made in the tube that's holding the antenna.

Here it is in up position.
Made also some vids on youtube of the whole process from the start to the end result.

This is how the last stages are made to make it work all together.

Old Jun 24, 2009, 03:31 AM
Joined Oct 2005
395 Posts
A huge project,what price of this kit?
arkmodel is offline Find More Posts by arkmodel
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:11 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Arkmodel,

This is not a kit, except for the hull everything is selfbuild, i stopped counting the price a few years ago.
Old Jul 01, 2009, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
This is not a kit for sure, this is a complete work of art. This guy is a demon for sub building. Had the pleasure to see the beast up close. So many gadgets on board. This build log has pride of place here well done MFR, was wondering why so quiet on your U-tube site. As for me I had a go at taking on the entire Royal Navy at Canoe Lake Portsmouth. The salt wasn't kind to me in the sea water lake. Up and down up and down as the safety device mechanism cut in as I lost RC contact while doing static dives. Here I take on a RN Battleship, achored. Was for the taking really !!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFR
Arkmodel,

This is not a kit, except for the hull everything is selfbuild, i stopped counting the price a few years ago.
Eddie boote is offline Find More Posts by Eddie boote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 03:18 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Hello Eddie,
Being busy with all my projects, there is even progress with yours, wait and see.

These guns where the first made on the conningtower, it was time to make the new more scale like examples.

First stage in building the lower parts of the tables that hold the 20 mm cannons

Putting all components together gives this as the result, the lower table.

The loose parts of the upper tables which are holding the 20 mm cannons at the end.

The result of joining the lower table with the upper table.

Dry fitting the cannons if they fit inside the clamps.

The final result with complete new cannons on the tables.
Next time i'll post the pics of the underneath of the cannontables.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:45 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts

These are the rough parts of the 20 mm flak, it would take to much pictures to discribe the whole process of making this.

The result after finishing off the rough parts.

This is how she stands on the bridge of my sub, with the old example beneath it.

Next step was to make the ammo holders, first i made a paper mold for the size.
The whole ammo holder is made from copper sheet.

Making the holders for the ammo clips, using a piece of plexiglass to create the same room between the holders.

After putting the ammoholder together this is the finished result.

Placing everything on the 20 mm flak gave this as the result, the only thing to be done is to make the rightsize mount for the flak.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:30 PM
Mickm
Calhoun, La.
Joined May 2004
25 Posts
MFR,
Wow, great work! I love the detail.
You sir are obviously a wizard with the soldering iron.
Thanks for sharing these with us.
Cheers!
Mickm
mickm is offline Find More Posts by mickm
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Hello Mike,

How it's going with the torpedo tubes ande the torpedo's, any progess on that?
I'll now write down the last stage i made for the 20 mm cannons, the lower mounts were not on scale, so i had to change that.

First step was to make the diameter fit to the scalesize with the aid of the lathe.

Next step was to make the cone shape under the right angle.

This is the end result after making the size right, i have the old one standing to compare it.

The bolts for attaching the mount to the deck are not functional, just for the right sight.
The mount is attached to the deck by one single M3 screw.

I also made the provision for locking the guns when the boat are underwater,
it was a challence but they are functional.

This is the painted endresult of the twin 20 mm cannons on top of the deck.
Next step for me was to build the right 4x20 mm flak on the reardeck, i'll post some pics later from that build.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:33 PM
alligator
Venice Fl.
Joined Jul 2004
168 Posts
Absolutely magnificent work, Incredible detail. keep posting. Regards, Al,
alligator is offline Find More Posts by alligator
Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:51 AM
Mickm
Calhoun, La.
Joined May 2004
25 Posts
Hi Manfred,
I have made some progress with the boat and the torpedo.
I have relieved most of the flooding vents and have made my first torpedo.
I will finish the lower bow flooding vents and then make/install the bulkheads to secure the torpedo tubes.

Your craftsmanship is inspiring, to say the least and I am inspired by this build.
Keep the pictures coming my friend.
Cheers!
Mickm
mickm is offline Find More Posts by mickm
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
@ Al,

I'll try to do my best, the goal is to make a functional modell , and good looking for display on meetings.
By means of the web and actual drawings it was possible to make scale looking cannons.
As i mentioned earlier i also made a 4x 20 mm flak kriegsmarine style, with the help of many pictures profided by friends and the web.
Pictures will follow later on this week.

@Mike,

The floodholes, yes that took me also all winter to make them, just a few at the time, but when finished it's worth the effort.
The torpedo is looking good, is it electric or gas?, for me the difficult part was to make the launchsystem, keep up the good work.