HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2009, 08:59 PM
cant leave things stock
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Feb 2007
1,464 Posts
Discussion
allright... Ive got to say it Ive had it with suppo

I had a 50 amp suppo die on me today. luckily I was high enough to bring it in dead stick
no meltie no smell .... I definatly was working the thing pulling 55 amps static but I allways have a nice big window rite over the cooling fins to help cooling & or a scoop

I totally love dave & sara they have been really tolerant of my shenanagens
having other people paypal lightflight money they owe me & making it hard to determine where we are at in a transaction (Ive overly complicated things with them a few times)
they have allways given the best service & if there ever was a problem they handled it with care & as quickly as possible so as far as lightflight goes I think they have allways tried to give us a really good product & good value

I dont want to ask dave to take care of it anymore because I think his patients may be stretched with me not to mention just trying to make it these days
I really want to keep my planes nice my builds are getting so nice I really want to keep them together & having loss of power unexpectedly can sureley kill a plane

I just dont think suppos product is as good as it was before & Id hate to think that dave & sara take a beating on these
I heard about it from chris & other ritewingers when I came back into the hobby but just figured it as bad luck on a few peoples part
I had to send back 2 of them & the one tim gave me I had to fix poor solder joints in the BEC because it wouldent fire up at all out of the box, had another fail on a maiden or second flight, another that wouldent fire up out of the box & now this one
so thats like 5 or 6 of them in just a few months
I did smoke a 40 but that was my bad

dave I was talking with my wife about you & sara today saying how good you have been & Im sorry to put down a product you sell but it has been rough with these

so I hope that this is Ok with the forum as I just really fealt it was important not to let it slide
take care
JAK
jstoll is offline Find More Posts by jstoll
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Thats too bad man. Things like that are the reason I use Castle Creations though. No they are not cheap, but they do work, and work great. Plus, the folks at Castle are great too (no different than Dave and Sarah Im sure). Any time I have had a problem (rarely) it is always taken care of quickly.

Laine.
lmopar69 is online now Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old May 30, 2009, 09:49 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,464 Posts
I dont know if I can even reach suppo directly
I have no idea what they are like to deal with but I hope they try a little harder to make a better product even if it costs more

PS I gotta say though this Dlite is freaking PERFECT! its a classic ritewing, great speed & stability I think I have the EXP down to like 10 or 15 & have the rates dialed way down so I can make full motion on the stick.
chris tought me that :-)
thanks Chris
4 flights on this 50 amp ESC though
I just pulled the cover off to look for melted solder or blown mosfets & dont see anything :-(
take care
JAK
Last edited by jstoll; May 30, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:22 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,464 Posts
I fixed the fifty that went bad today

what I believe to be a timer on the opposite side of the board from the mossfets had a couple of bad connections at the board
both of the timers & several other bits were not totally strait & I think with that combined with some heat, wicked just enough solder away from a couple of the legs to cause the problem
I have nice loud beeps from it now & it works like new
I deal with this sort of thing for a living as a tuner I have to do soldering & board diagnosis even though I never went to school for it.....
Im glad I dont have to deal with the warantee stuff on this one but I think the deal is that you have to treat a 50 amp like a 40 amp & so on
anyway
I hope you all are having a great weekend
JAK
Old May 31, 2009, 12:08 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I have had good experiences with the suppo (or super simple from HC) products. I got a 50 from dave with my first 28-47-1.5 and i pulled up to 70 amps through it and it lasted. I also have owned 2, 100 amp ESCs, one of which smoked, but it was due to a crash, not the controllers fault. I drew ~90 amps through those two ESCs and they worked beautifully.

I also now have 1-Suppo 20, 3-Suppo 30s and 5-Suppo 40s. Of those only one forty didn't work well out of the package. The others have worked well. I do get spoiled when i run up my CC Phoenix 125 cause the throttle is so linear, but to be honest my flying is basically all on or all off, so i don't need the throttle response.

So what im saying is perhaps i've gotten lucky, but my experience has been great with those products. And in the case of the Suppo 40s i bought for $45 so i could outfit our three Zagis, which would have cost me $150 to do with Castle controllers. So even if i did have a faulty one it is still much cheaper, and thus acceptable to me.

I am all for "buy american" etc as a dependent on the Domestic auto industry and a prospective engineer as well. But in my case i have myself, my father, and my brother all of whom fly for fun, as well as competition. For us to enjoy this hobby entirely, corners must be cut...
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old May 31, 2009, 12:46 AM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,464 Posts
good on you man
Im glad folks have good expierences & hope that there are none & the world becomes in harmony with the universe
Im sure the good outweighs the bad
Im just giving the instances where I had trouble because it all seems to be at once

I did put a scoop over the window & 1/8 vent holes out the back too

have a great weekend
JAK
Old May 31, 2009, 12:20 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
I agree with you to a point. Suppo has some great products but their are some that tend to give more problems then others.

The 40's are crap i have had 3 out of 10 not work and the reviews on HC will say the same thing. They are really maybe ~28 amp esc's.

out of 11, I have had 1, 100 blow up.. a fet exploded upon initial plug in.

Currently i have a 100 that was flown twice at 1050 watts that cuts out after 30-50 seconds of WOT, faster at 3/4 throttle.. resets after 10 seconds and the cycle continues.

So the ratio of good to bad 100's is 11 / 2

On the other hand every Castle ESC i have owned had to be replaced

TB54 burned at 42 amps on lighting, got 21 flights on it
PH35 burned at 34 amps on wild wing got 11 flights
PH80 burned when i plugged it in. Got it fixed then burned again during maiden at 53 amps on 4s unvented. 0 flights
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Last edited by gotboostedvr6; May 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:58 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,464 Posts
I just wanted to show that Ive been venting & scooping everything for a long time
I have allways been good about KV-volts & prop

I guess Im just having a rash of bad luck
Ive seen allot of castle stuff take a dump now

take care
JAK
Old May 31, 2009, 01:48 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
WHat boosted said is definately true about the 40 being lower, they get alittle warm at 27 amps right now, so that makes sense. Infact they are listed as 40s, but their specs say "40 amps max" so it appears the manufacturer knows they aren't up to snuff as well??

Im definately lucky. I have had great experiences with my castle products. A Phoenix 25 is the first ESC i ever bought with a Himax motor and they are both still kicking 4 years and dozens of planes later. I also have two TB18s and one CC125 (used) and all work like a charm.

Maybe i just have low standards, lol
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418