Old Sep 04, 2001, 06:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
"Putz-E" - at last

Okay, bit of posing here.

Go to www.1nvrc.com

Yes, that's me in the middle of their front page. "Putz-E" is the blue and white one I'm holding.

Yes, I know its kind of a plain plane. General concensus - enough folk have been nice enough to say kind things, I shall proceed with a final draft. Meanwhile, John B is kind of sitting around my shop like an electric vulture waiting to get his hands on #1.

I spent last night kind of "tweaking" the design, to the extent that a new one will be started soon! I really have gotten rusty at this designing thing.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2001, 02:33 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
315 Posts
Sweet!.... no-no not you, them winged things very sweet indeed!

hugh
Oneson1 is online now Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Sep 05, 2001, 03:48 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
I now see where Paul Sheaffer got his looks from. Seriously though, great looking bunch of planes Dereck. Did you do all those fancy graphics with Monokoat trim or just Monokoat?
Are you coming up to NEAT in a couple of weeks?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 05, 2001, 05:10 AM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
congrats Dereck.
you obviously like them big.
regards
bob
robertc is offline Find More Posts by robertc
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:21 AM
Mmmm.
Selkirk, Scotland.
Joined Jun 2001
294 Posts
VERY nice Dereck,now where's the plan?

Andy
Andy McCowan is offline Find More Posts by Andy McCowan
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:58 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Greg - the graphics. On the CAP, mostly Econokote, some MoneyKote. The 4* is a mix of a Micafilm base with Micafilm and some sticky stuff trim. The 4* is showing her age (and the after effects of attacking a pole!) some now.

Can't make NEAT - too much stuff on at home from now to end of year. Would be fun though ...

Bob - funnily enough, I never flew anything that big when I did oilburning! All my slimers were 25 powered and around 40 - 48" span, as were my early electric sports models. Seeing Keith Shaw fly "persuaded" me to move up some. When one of those two big ones takes off, the problems and fuss of a 20 cell bird all seem trivial. Now, I don't tell folk I fly electrics - tell them I fly aerobatic sports models that don't cause noise problems.

The plan!

It's in final re-draw. Even by my standards, Putz-E #1 has too many bits of wood However, the important areas are all right, so it will be in EFI sometime early next year (editor permitting ) The next one will have some markings - honest.

Thanks for the kind comments. After three years with kits, it feels good to have designed a flying machine once again.

Regards

Dereck
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:22 AM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
Nice planes Dereck!

The 4* - rounded wing tips look nice. Also, I know you added some surface area to the rudder, but did you also increase the size of the horizontal stab?

Congratulations on the Putz-E. Difficult to tell from the picture, how much dihedral do you have in it? Also, what did you end up going with for motor, GB, prop size, and number of cells?

Thx,
MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:44 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
What, no Cross of St. George? I'd get into trouble down here if I used one!
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Sep 05, 2001, 09:28 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
MMGM
Astro 035 on 3.7 (Superbox with 13T pinion from std box), APC 14 x 7 E prop, 10 x 1700 - 2400. I think its around 31A max, not got around to RPM checks yet. 520 squares, 58oz RTF

Dead right you can't spot the dihedral - ain't got none. I thought I could get away with this and build the wing with flat tip to tip spars. Yes, I can, with a little reverse aileron off the rudder, it rolls opposite to rudder. No impact on general flying as the ailerons are well coordinated for turning and rolling, but the flat wing messes up knife edge without computer mixing in the tranny.

Not being too happy to turn her loose like that, and wanting to tweak the stabs some, I've decided to build a new one. It's not really that much of a problem but I want to fix it. New one will have 3/4" per tip. It may go to a little pro-rudder coupled roll, but that is much more pleasant to deal with than adverse roll on rudder any day.

The 4* - the tailplane and elevator got increased by adding about an inch all around. Result is an aircraft that sits better in level flight without hunting, even with a slightly more aft CG, plus snaps and spins are more reliable on entry.

Much as I love the 4*40, it is far easier to do aeros with the CAP! The 4* is really a next step model after you hit the Kadet's limits.

Wanna F3A pattern ship (scaled down to 20 cells!)

Regards

Dereck
Old Sep 05, 2001, 01:48 PM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
I agree Dereck, redesign the tail and I'll take the proto-type for further flight testing! My AMA numbers are ready to go on the wing as we speak!
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
Old Sep 05, 2001, 02:28 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi John
Wondered where you were! Have since decided against fitting a new wing and new stabs - going to fit them to a new fuselage instead.

You can still have the blue and white one though! I was out flying her today. What she needs is a geared Kontronics 480 breathless and 10 x 2000 nimh or CP1700 to put her on a diet.

Seen the photos on www.1nvrc.com yet? If we can talk them into straightening out a few wrinkles, could have a good event for next year.

Dereck
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:57 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Dereck,
I can't comment on the geared Kontronics 480 "breathless" but the CP1700's are great !
As you know I've tried a bunch of tweaks on my Estreaks to wring more performance from them. I've been reluctant to go beyond 8 2400SCR's as an Estreak is just not as "light on the wing" with 10 of them on board. Well, this weekend I tried a 10 cell Pack of CP1700's. This 10 cell pack fits in the same space ... and weighs almost exactly the same as a pack of 8 2400's (465 grams). The added power (25%) made quite a difference (3 vertical rolls vrs 1.5 with 8 cells). So....I guess you could say that I am another 10 cell convert.
As far as the "Putz-E" goes, it would chop off 6 ounces to go from a 10 cell pack 2400SCR's to a 10 cell pack of the new CP1700's .... 52 oz AUW should put some additional sparkle in the vertical stuff !
Please keep up he good work ...as we all benefit and are inspired by it !!
Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Lyerly (edited 09-05-2001).]
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:59 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Dereck, your planes look really SWEEEET!!! keep up the great work!!stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:19 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Ed
I've got some 2000nimh I really should make up into 10-packs and fly - not much good on my shelf really.

I bet we'll see more folk using the CP1700s in apps like yours - after all, it wasn't so long back we were all happy as hogs in mud to get 1700s after 1400s for so long

As you say, 25% more power, same weight, not a bad price either - that's what I call a good deal

Stefan - TVM. Those babies are my pride and joy, but wait to see what the Winter brings.

The new drawings for Putz-E are nearly done, should cut wood later this week. Have to assemble a multi-gym in the basement, push out a column and buy some black printer ink cartridges before I can do much more!

Regards

Dereck
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:37 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Dereck,
Leave the nimh's on the shelf and call Kirk Massey ( New Creations )and have him build you a 10 cell pack of the CP1700's ..... you will be glad you did.
You might also consider what a 6 ounce diet would do for that Embat of yours :-) 47 ounces ?? You heard it here first !!!
Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Lyerly (edited 09-05-2001).]
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly