HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2009, 04:12 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Discussion
Tiger on a pig farm!

I've been meaning to write something up about this adventure, just been too busy until now.

About three weeks ago one of the syndicate partners rang me at work to say that the Tiger had suddenly started to run very roughly and that he had got it down safely on the field that he was operating from.

A couple of days later I drove down 75 miles to where it was and quickly established that the engine was toast after a mechanical failure in No 3 cylinder.

We had recently sold our spare engine to another Tiger Moth syndicate who were restoring their aircraft, luckily they had not used it yet so we bought it back swiftly!

A long road trip had the engine collected and delivered and about six more visits had it changed and ready to fly.

A fun aspect of the job was that our Tiger was parked right on the North end of the Salisbury Plain army firing range, some shells got a bit too close one day!

I flew 'AN' home to Bicester yesterday, still some work to do with retightening things and fine tuning but she is purring again.

Thanks to Nigel the farmer who owns a pristine Tiger and apologies to Jeff for making him park his Tiger elsewhere for a couple of weeks.

Did some aeromodelling on some in between days when the job got a bit too much, had to order parts and think about the next steps anyway. It would have been a fantastic field to fly models from but I just did not have the time.

I have changed plenty of Lycoming engines but never a DH Gipsy Major so this was a learning curve for me.

Better post some piccies

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2009, 03:16 AM
Joined Jan 2008
3 Posts
Tiger on a pig farm

Hi Gary

Well done & thanks for fixing AN and getting her home safely. Hope the bar was open when you got there! Great blog, though hope the dead as a doornail angine won't RIP for ever; rather expensive dustbin fodder!!
Jim Kershaw is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kershaw
Old Jun 01, 2009, 01:45 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
894 Posts
Nice story.

Gary

Thanks for the story and nice pic's.
I remember seeing a 'movie' on T.V. about a 'Tiggie".
A young boy and his grandfather restored it and flew it.
Have you seen it?
Does anybody remember the movie and the title?

Daniel
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Jun 01, 2009, 04:37 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
No, sounds interesting. Our (British) TV programme 'Salvage Squad' restored a DH60 Moth as one of the episodes, I've not seen it again. I would love to restore ours but these projects usually turn in to four year expensive marathons!!

'Thunderbird 6' is a fun piece of TV with 'Brains' flying a Tiger Moth. Watching 'The Great Waldo Pepper' again recently I noticed that the biplane that ends up in the pond without its wheels is a Tiger.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie