HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2009, 11:41 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Graham,

Given how bright the device is, you may find you can see the blinking through up to about 5mm of foam.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2009, 02:40 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
<reaches for sunglasses>
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:39 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
What 20 days and no defects, what's going on Paul
neilmny is offline Find More Posts by neilmny
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:44 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Disgusting isn't it, worst of all it's not even like I've -not- been assembling things. With the new LMA-02 out and of course the usual orders of BACs, IRMs and Normalisers I've been quite busy.

One thing I've been doing though now is pre-washing the PCBs before I start applying the paste, seems to help. I also give them a good scrub-down when the come out of the oven and the flux is still warm (easier to get off).

Have been having other ideas of things to make lately, seeing a few people/hikers getting lost recently and thought I might look at making a beacon that's compact, reasonable range (300m~1000m), low power etc, put a lipo in there and if the person gets desperate they've got an ignition source too

Paul
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:47 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
...........if the person gets desperate they've got an ignition source too

Paul
What to self destruct jeez you'd have to be desperate

By the way sounds like a good idea (again)
neilmny is offline Find More Posts by neilmny
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:57 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Neil,

It's something that'd have to be marketed very well - it'd also really need a specially made case, or potted.

paul.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:12 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2008
537 Posts
Do we get the answers to the spot the defect posts? I haven't seen the correct answer listed for the last few, but we know Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer
TacoChuck is offline Find More Posts by TacoChuck
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:22 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Defects have been described on the posts with the photos now
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:57 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2008
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Defects have been described on the posts with the photos now
Thank you very much. Very helpful and educational for a newb like me.
TacoChuck is offline Find More Posts by TacoChuck
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:38 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
I have terrible timing!! Read a review about one of your switchjacks the other day and decided to find your website again today... After finally locating your blog page I see these 'spot the defect' posts! Go figure that was the one thing that jumped right out at me - and I'm near 6months late!! LOL
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
AC5FF,

Well, hopefully I can come up with some new defect soon just so everyone can have a shot at things again

I did produce a real slapper of a problem the other day, something that was so obvious but I was clearly suffering a case of cooked brains in the workshop. What happened was that my solder-paste was drying (crusting) before I had finished placing all the parts on a particuarly large batch and hence the parts wouldn't stick/place. In my 40'C-heat cooked genius mind I grabbed the isopropyl spray bottle and gave the paste on the PCBs a kick to soften it up again.

After everything came out of the oven pretty much every single board failed and when I tried repairing some of the faults a few of the parts would completely dislodge from the board while soldering one end of the part. Needless to say I was pretty upset (time lost and a lot of parts into the bin - as you can't do more than 2 reflows without reducing a part's life).

Well, what went wrong... simple in the end really, the flux is soluble in isopropyl alcohol and when I sprayed the board what happened is that all the flux was leeched out of the solder paste pads and spread out, subsequently when the reflow occured there was no flux to help the solder to flow