HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2009, 04:21 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Discussion
Guillows BF-109, 4xx series

Finished my first balsa model, also first guillows model, here goes building notices with photos, done lots of mistakes because of lack of experience.
I've got mine model from ebay, simply because shipment from USA costs more than a model, so ordered from UK, plaid ~20 pounds with shipment, what would be 32$.
Before buying model i was searching for good photos, what's inside, but couldn't find any, so if you need one, here it goes (cat doesn't belong to the contents of the box):

Also better picture of plan:

To get the idea, how subtle this model is, I've photographed one of the formers with regular match aside:

After checked plans, I've decided to make it four channel: rudder, ailerons, elevator and of course throttle.

Started with wings (that was first mistake, because later i couldn't match center part of wings with fuselage):

Than assembled rudder and elevator:

Fusselage plans weren't very clear (at least for me), so it took much longer to build and it came not that nice:

I've ordered 5g. cheap servos for this model. For accessing all electronics I've made quite a big hatch:

It's not very clear from picture, how ailerons are connected, but it's straightforward - if you look realy closely, you'll notice 1mm carbon tube going through wing, which resulted quite limited movement of ailerons, as long as they are quite small it's not clear if they will be effective enough.

For rudder and elevator rods I've also used 1mm carbon tube, for connecting to servo arms and horns I've used heat shrinking tube and CA.

I've lightened structure i bit before covering, but don't think that saved lots of weight, anyway i was happy, that with 500mah 2s lipo I've managed to get CG right without adding additional weight.

Right now plane looks like this (prop spinner is only for photo, don't have yet real):

Need to paint cowl, but have no idea what paint to use (and how to find matching color).

This bird is still a virgin (in other words not flown), because while testing servos in build progress, i've forgot to disconnect lipo, so it lost one cell, ordered new one, but still not arrived.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2009, 09:18 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Very Cool, Thanks for sharing. Looks like a flyer. Good luck on the maiden. Did you use the FF CG? Might want to move it up for first flight. Glewis and addict have both done this kit. I am sure they could give you an idea of what to expect.

Cheers!

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old May 31, 2009, 09:03 AM
North Dakota
Joined Apr 2006
20 Posts
wow looks great for a first time, certainly MUCh better than the first Guillow's model i ever built!
carlo_the_wonder is offline Find More Posts by carlo_the_wonder
Old May 31, 2009, 02:00 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,836 Posts
Mark is correct, balance about 1/4" ahead of the point marked on the plan for the maiden.
Mine has slow aileron response because I used the scale outline shown on the plan. You made your ailerons lot longer so you should be good there.
Did you add any washout?
Practice approaches with some altitude until you get a feel for the low speed handling. There is no warning when it stalls, it just rolls over to the left.
A word of warning, don't cut the throttle on final approach if it baloons on you. If it does, power up and go around. Don't let your speed drop on landing, fly it all the way to the ground and cut the throttle just as the prop tips hit the ground. With such a skinny wing this one will bite if slowed too much.
Mine is a nice flying model that scoots along well on a 2 cell pack.
Good luck with the maiden.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
Mark is correct, balance about 1/4" ahead of the point marked on the plan for the maiden.
Mine has slow aileron response because I used the scale outline shown on the plan. You made your ailerons lot longer so you should be good there.
Did you add any washout?
Practice approaches with some altitude until you get a feel for the low speed handling. There is no warning when it stalls, it just rolls over to the left.
A word of warning, don't cut the throttle on final approach if it baloons on you. If it does, power up and go around. Don't let your speed drop on landing, fly it all the way to the ground and cut the throttle just as the prop tips hit the ground. With such a skinny wing this one will bite if slowed too much.
Mine is a nice flying model that scoots along well on a 2 cell pack.
Good luck with the maiden.
Glenn
I've added some washout, it still sometimes stalls, but that's controlable. Also, ailerons are not very effective, i think that helps from stalling too, but you need to get enough height if you wanna perform some rolling.
As you understand, i've made my maiden flight - and it was good. Actualy much better, than i expected - you know i've always thought - what people find in those warbirds so attracting? you can't hover with it, they are sluggish on control, what can be so attractive? You'll never know, unless you try by your self.

So here's video:

bf109 (2 min 0 sec)

Someone may notice, that there's two planes on the video, it's my mistake, by accident i've used footage from my friends guillows flight too (P-40, same size).
I didn't measured time, but in my opinion i can stay in air for 20-25 minutes with 500mah battery, it can glide pretty well and it is much slower than my foamy. The day the video was made wind was 4-6m/s and it was no big problem to handle.

So as soon as i'll find a good deal in ebay for anything in series 2xx, i'll make something from WWI, also i would like to try to make fly something even smaller - there are many choises from 16.5" size category
Last edited by dziedrius; Sep 24, 2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:19 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,439 Posts
Wow, really nice job on a tricky little model. Congrats, Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:41 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,836 Posts
Very nice. Good job!! Looks like it flies very well too.
You made your ailerons longer and it still is sluggish in roll.
Looks like it's fairly fast too, but remember to not slow it too much for landing as I sometimes do.
Now you have experienced the same model I have that really got me started building warbirds this scale.
The Guillows P-39 is next up on my bench.
Decided what's next on yours?

Again congrats and great job.

Oh, one suggestion if I may. That launch was cool, but scary. I launch with a nice smooth toss at about 2/3 throttle to avoid that roll to the left yours did in the video.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:53 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Very nicely done. That is a great conversion. Looks like the P-40 fly's pretty well also. Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing one of those Micro's converted.

Great job!

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Nice job!
The 109 and P40 are the 2 planes of the series I haven't built yet. One of these days I'll get to it, considering that all the afterthoughts of the other builds will make it a better plane. You've shown it is a flyer. As for your launch: my Guillows FW190 doesn't launch like that. Maybe a professional softball pitcher could give me an underhand launch that I could work with, but not a soft toss like that.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
Very nice. Good job!! Looks like it flies very well too.
You made your ailerons longer and it still is sluggish in roll.
Looks like it's fairly fast too, but remember to not slow it too much for landing as I sometimes do.
Now you have experienced the same model I have that really got me started building warbirds this scale.
The Guillows P-39 is next up on my bench.
Decided what's next on yours?

Again congrats and great job.

Oh, one suggestion if I may. That launch was cool, but scary. I launch with a nice smooth toss at about 2/3 throttle to avoid that roll to the left yours did in the video.

Glenn
Regarding ailerons, as long as i made everything inside model, the movement angles are very small, so it looks esthetically, but works not very effective.

Regarding launch, you may be right, that's only second airplane i own, so my flight skills are far from perfect
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:22 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius
Regarding ailerons, as long as i made everything inside model, the movement angles are very small, so it looks esthetically, but works not very effective.

Regarding launch, you may be right, that's only second airplane i own, so my flight skills are far from perfect
Your save was good on takeoff, and so are your flying skills.
As far as rolls are concerned, I don't even try rolls with Guillows planes anyways. There are other planes for that. I think you've done a great job, just to get one of these small warbirds flying well.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:10 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Watching this thread inspired me to go out & buy the kit at the LHS today.
Now to decide on whether to do a model E,F,G or K
I have found this size model is perfect for my field.

Oh - added your thread to "The List" by the way.

Thanks for sharing!

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Sep 25, 2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:49 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,456 Posts
For the first building, itīs very nice man! I donīt think I read but, how did you cover it? The decals come in the kit? And the motor and receiver, what did you use on it? I could not imagine that this kit could fly so well like your model

Here in Brasil there are a lot of Guillows kit to sell, Iīm really thinking about buying one for me

Best regards from Brasil,
Luis.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Sep 25, 2009, 05:40 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
For the first building, itīs very nice man! I donīt think I read but, how did you cover it? The decals come in the kit? And the motor and receiver, what did you use on it? I could not imagine that this kit could fly so well like your model

Here in Brasil there are a lot of Guillows kit to sell, Iīm really thinking about buying one for me

Best regards from Brasil,
Luis.

covered using noname covering film, as long as i didn't had a chance to use any brand covering films, i can't compare, but i think the one, that is sold at hobby city is pretty much the same:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5&ParentCat=58

Decals come with kit, but they don't stick very well to covering film, so i've lost couple already.

Electronic parts are cheap ones:

Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC 7.8$
Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1300k 8.74$
3x Turnigy Servo 5.5g/0.9kg/.10sec 3x 3.69$

receiver is AR7000, without satellite receiver, only main body.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:47 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,456 Posts
The decals are water based? The motor is this one here?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...s_Motor_1300kv

Did you use the right and down thrust motor angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius
covered using noname covering film, as long as i didn't had a chance to use any brand covering films, i can't compare, but i think the one, that is sold at hobby city is pretty much the same:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5&ParentCat=58

Decals come with kit, but they don't stick very well to covering film, so i've lost couple already.

Electronic parts are cheap ones:

Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC 7.8$
Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1300k 8.74$
3x Turnigy Servo 5.5g/0.9kg/.10sec 3x 3.69$

receiver is AR7000, without satellite receiver, only main body.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio