HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2009, 07:30 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Discussion
Guillows Lancer RC Conversion *Power Questions*

Hey guys. This is going to be a build thread regarding the Guillows Lancer Rubber Band powered plane. I just got this kit and have already built the horiz. stab, the vert. stab, and the rudder. I am starting the wing now, but have run across a problem. The trailing/leading edge pieces seem to be insufficient and I don't have enough to complete the wing. I suppose I'll have to make my own from some spare balsa. Its probably better quality anyway.

Gear. I don't know what gear to use. I'm thinking a 2gram out runner, but at the same time, I'm thinking of giving the parkzone vapor brick a shot. I'm looking for a really slow, light flyer and I really hope the vapor brick can do it.

If i can't go with a brick, i'll probably go with two five gram servos or possibly some 3.7 grams. Motor will be a 5 or 2 gram...not sure yet. Reciever will probably be a corona RS410.

I'll post pics after I eat.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Last edited by finchkid24; May 28, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2009, 08:39 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,608 Posts
Seems to be a hard task!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...uillows+Lancer
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 28, 2009, 09:46 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
You will very likely have to replace all the kit wood and cover them in Jap tissue to get them light enough to fly well as RC models. 24" wing is a lot of span for micro gear (like the parkzone brick), but it can be done.

Given the cased servo options you listed, a GWS LPS that uses the N-20 size motor (the shorter of the two) on a 2 cell lipo should haul it w/o problems. Don't know about the brushless motors you listed. It too hard to tell what you get when the Chinese don't know what they're selling.

The long nose moment will make it much easier to balance.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old May 28, 2009, 09:52 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
As long as he builds the everything aft of the wings as light as possible. It's also got a very long tail, and there's not going to be much room for error balancing on those long, skinny wings.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old May 29, 2009, 09:32 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,641 Posts
I suspect that the biggest issues when converting a plane from rubber power to RC are: 1: The fuselage is built to withstand the stress of a wound rubber motor, which makes it heavier than needed.
2: The wing isn't built for maneuvered flight stresses, since it is not supposed to handle large angular accelerations. It must survive the launch and that's it.
This means that the fuse has to be lightened as much as possible, the stringers will likely be oversized. And the wing spar will probably need some strengthening.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old May 29, 2009, 12:25 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was looking at the LPS systems and might just do that. I have built and converted a Guillows before (Piper Cherokee 140) so I know about the wood being heavy. I suppose I'll just go with the LPS system and two smaller servos. What servo weight would be good?
Old May 29, 2009, 02:10 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
i bet the ba 2.5's would work great in it. some people have problems with them others dont, seems about 50/50. i have 3 and all have worked fine since i bought them over a year ago
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 29, 2009, 07:55 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
What kind of performance are you looking for?

The LPS on a 180 can motor will give ok performance. But it would not have the climb you might be use to seeing with rubber band power. (6 strands of 1/8 rubber). I like to set up my rubber band free flight contest models to have 70 to 80 degree climb at launch.
You might want to look at a planetary gear box to help keep the Lancer nose shape.

http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/planeta...io_1247318.htm

http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/012.htm

This gear box in front of a low Kv 12-mm motor might allow a large enough prop to mimic the climb of a rubber band powered ship.

On the Lancer I would leave the fuselage alone for the most part. I would omit parts "A7" & "A9". Just sand the fuselage well. The sides are made from 1/20 wood. I would make the trailing edges of the wing and stabilized out of wood that was about 1/2 as wide as shown on the plans. I would also make the wings leading edge similar to that of the stabilizer and last I would change the wing spars for the inboard panels from balsa to bass wood.

Do you plan to use a hatch to gain access to the electronics?
Any of plus 2 gram, sub 6 gram servo will work fine. I would avoid the sub 2 gram class of servo for outdoor flying.

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old May 29, 2009, 08:00 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Thanks Konrad.

I am looking for a slow flyer. I want a really really slow, lazy front porch plane. A hatch is yet to be determined...i might just leave a hole....like E flite does for there SEA 5 and Jenny and then I may put in a battery (what size? how many cells?) through a window.

I have been thinking...what about a 2 gram outrunner with a TGY 1gram one cell ESC? If i need two cells, I'll go with the turnigy 6amp.

One thing I didn't consider is possibly making this a two channel...rudder and throttle. Just thought about it right now....kind of a long shot?
Old May 29, 2009, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
The narrow cord of the Javelin and Lancer wing kind of preclude real real slow flight.

All the best,
Konrad
Old May 30, 2009, 04:05 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Hmmmm...okay. Konrad...what guillows kit, and what other kits, will fly slowly and easily? I want a smaller plane.

Also, what are the best (easiest, best flying, etc.) guillow kits for conversion?
Old May 31, 2009, 01:28 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24
Hmmmm...okay. Konrad...what guillows kit, and what other kits, will fly slowly and easily? I want a smaller plane.

Also, what are the best (easiest, best flying, etc.) guillow kits for conversion?
If you had your own balsa, a scanner, and a printer, you could increase the chord of the Lancer's wing to make a broader, more floaty wing. You'd have to lengthen the wing saddle where you'd be rubber-banding the wing to on the fuselage, but both these mods should give you a very floaty, stable plane.

If you want a really small Guillows kit that would fly in a small space, consider kit #902, the O-1E Bird Dog. It can be built light enough for a Vapor RX and a 1S brushless setup.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old May 31, 2009, 01:33 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Damn!!! I almost bought the Bird Dog too! I'll run out next time im close the LHS and pick one up. I don't really want to waste my time trying to RC a plane that just won't fly good.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24

To be honest I'd have to say none. I do like the 700 series ships. They are a little larger and can be modified rather easily. I find that the larger slower ship fly better in confined areas than the faster smaller ships. It really is a function of wing loading and control power.

All the best,
Konrad
Old May 31, 2009, 06:33 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,580 Posts
Maybe not a great suggestion, but here is one nonetheless.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...llow+s+javelin
PiperCub49 is online now Find More Posts by PiperCub49