Old May 28, 2009, 06:19 PM
Heli Whore
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
313 Posts
Question
Confused - Thunder Power balance tabs?

Hi there;

I've recently acquired a new 4S lipo that comes with a Thunder Power balance tab. I intend to convert this to a standard JST XH.

However, a 4S JST balance plug has 5 cables and this 4S Thunder Power has 6. Now I'm confused. Why 6 cables for a 4S balance tab? And if I do this conversion to the JST XH 4S tab that uses 5 cables, which one do I drop?

Or should I go with a TP -> JST XH converter? Any ideas where to get this?

-Rich
rich95 is offline Find More Posts by rich95
Last edited by rich95; May 28, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2009, 07:13 PM
Tulsa Int, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Aug 2002
496 Posts
It has 6 leads because it is the same one they use for a 5s pack. They just don't connect all the leads.. for instance my 6s packs have one 4 wire balance plug and one 6 wire plug. The 4 wire plug has to be connected to the balancer after the 6 wire plug because it has the wire that is connected to the neg lead of the pack. I'll look around on here but there was quite a few posts with diagrams of TP ballance connectors. Showing how they are wired...
chuck
cgbole is offline Find More Posts by cgbole
Old May 28, 2009, 07:20 PM
Heli Whore
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
313 Posts
Thanks, Chuck. What is the correct way to electrically test each lead and find out which one is not connecter to the cells?

-Rich
rich95 is offline Find More Posts by rich95
Last edited by rich95; May 28, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:56 PM
Tulsa Int, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Aug 2002
496 Posts
Yes but i don't mean to talk down to you but i'd hate to be responcible for
for messing it up or starting a fire.. So if you don't know what you're doing..

If the balancer connector is color coded, (Typical TP balance lead) the black wire should go to the neg. lead. The next one should go the the first positive tab on the first cell. And then the next wire should go to the next positive side of the next cell.. You can tell by the voltage reading from a volt meter.. place the neg test lead on the neg lead, and then touch the positive test lead to the second lead in line on the connector. the second wire will be .. 3.6V the next (3rd wire) should read 7.2V the next 10.8 ect... depending on charge level.. DO NOT short the leads...
chuck
cgbole is offline Find More Posts by cgbole
Old May 29, 2009, 02:38 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,451 Posts
If you scroll down to the bottom of this page http://www.flighttech.co.uk/index.as...eries/EON.html you'll find a wiring diagram for FlightPower balancers which, in my experience, are identical to TP ones. It shows, among other things, how the 6-pin plug is wired for a 4-cell LiPo.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn