HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2009, 08:31 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Dec 2008
105 Posts
Discussion
rc plane battling / dogfights

I know how lots of people think of putting air soft guns on rc planes (keep reading) i know i did but got murdered on another thread i did a year ago but it just came to me why dont they have laser battling planes like they do for those mini RC tanks. i don't know if they have done that and if thy have please tell i don't have a rc plane now but plan on starting this summer but i have been interested for a while now and have been thinking about things like this. please let me hear what you think of this.
Corkey3211 is offline Find More Posts by Corkey3211
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 08:49 PM
Jimmy
United States, NJ, Highland Lakes
Joined Oct 2008
763 Posts
try Parkzone with X port, I havn't, but it might work.. I know the pz mustang and spitfire have it and maybe a few other horizan Planes.
Jimmy1159 is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy1159
Old May 27, 2009, 08:53 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,813 Posts
The closest thing they have out now are sonic modules for the Parkzone planes...really not much fun. It has a range of about 50ft, depending on the angle of the hit. The "shoot down" kills the motor for 5 t0 10 seconds. But all you to do is stay on the tail on the plane and keep shooting it till it lands.

If you really want to have fun, try steamer dog fighting. When I've done it, I've taped a 6ft red streamer, and 6ft white streamer to the red, then tape to the rear of the plane. Try to cut the streamer with your prop. Both planes are launched at the same time, heading off in opposite directions if the wind allows, and get one circuit around the field, then the fight starts for air master. The white streamer is the "hit" zone, shot, but not shot down. If/when you get to the red, it's a "kill" and the plane is shot down, and out of the fight.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old May 27, 2009, 11:22 PM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Aug 2004
323 Posts
Hmmm....we're on the same page with this thought...

P-39 AIRACOBRA machinegun sound effects testing

I mounted a Walmart special cheap 19.95 airsoft type gun in my radio controlled giant scale 'cobra to see if it would be cool...

Added about 11 oz of weight (which it carries with ease) and does sound cool...but kinda quiet too...would not work on a gas engine plane for sure. Or if you fly at a field with gas planes - you probably couldn't hear this modification.

Probably take it out after hearing the somewhat disappointing results.

Thanks for watching!

RC WARBIRD P-39 AIRACOBRA machinegun soundeffects testing (2 min 0 sec)
Rengine is offline Find More Posts by Rengine
Old May 28, 2009, 10:28 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
Thats some cool stuff REngine! The pass at the end was perfect, oh and nice airplane!!

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old May 29, 2009, 07:28 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
That Airacobra does sould cool...

For air combat, it'd be a blast to just pick up some cheap electronics and foam board... knock up a couple disposable foamies and fly combat full-contact style

We play around with mock dogfights quite a bit with our warbirds, but I've racked up a couple 'kills' on a friend's planes - and repairing (or replacing) a nice plane after a midair collision kinda sucks. Lately we've gone more towards trying formation flying with the 100mph edf's... probably just as dumb
D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Old May 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2005
30 Posts
I might get blasted for this , but my buddies and I do ground to air combat with air softs . It's really cool at night using light strings on the plane and a tracer attachment on the guns
Crazy Canuk is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Canuk
Old May 29, 2009, 08:39 PM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuk
I might get blasted for this , but my buddies and I do ground to air combat with air softs . It's really cool at night using light strings on the plane and a tracer attachment on the guns
Not blasting you....but, what's the object of shooting at an aircraft with airsoft guns at night to boot?

What kind of planes are you shooting at? Have you ever caused one to go down due to "battle damage"?

Have any video?
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old May 29, 2009, 08:48 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,813 Posts
Do a search on You Tube under shot gun/rc airplane.....
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old May 30, 2009, 12:46 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
It would be cool to have a specially designed lightweight laser/receiver system similar to the MILES system the Army uses. A range of ~20 feet would be enough. Unfortunately I doubt there's enough demand to justify design and production. it'll happen someday though.....
Cougar Zeke is offline Find More Posts by Cougar Zeke
Old May 31, 2009, 05:42 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Zeke
It would be cool to have a specially designed lightweight laser/receiver system similar to the MILES system the Army uses. A range of ~20 feet would be enough. Unfortunately I doubt there's enough demand to justify design and production. it'll happen someday though.....
It happened years ago, with IR rather than lasers.

The CSM Airwars system came out in about 2001. We played with it for a bit, but, truth be told you need more than just a couple of adversaries or, like any combat, it's just too easy to evade, such is the manouverability of the models.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ars#post340970

Here's a thread with details of the system and links to prior threads on the subject. I've still got a couple of the Airwars modules but haven't used them in years.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 02, 2009, 12:09 AM
Joined Dec 2005
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1516
Not blasting you....but, what's the object of shooting at an aircraft with airsoft guns at night to boot?

What kind of planes are you shooting at? Have you ever caused one to go down due to "battle damage"?

Have any video?
We've knocked a couple down with broken props , but no serious damage . If the link works you can see it's a rather battle worn PZ super cub . That was it's last flight but it did have a couple hundred holes in it . You gotta' have a beater plane that you just get goofy with .
Old Jun 02, 2009, 12:10 AM
Joined Dec 2005
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1516

Have any video?
Whoops , forgot the link .
Aircraft shot down by numerous hits (0 min 54 sec)
Old Jun 02, 2009, 12:22 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Wow, those must be some masterful marksmen, being able to hit a slowly circling parkflyer about twenty to thirty feet away
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 02, 2009, 03:00 PM
Joined Dec 2005
30 Posts
It's tougher than it looks , but I was making it easy so the video would have some hits