SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Many thanks - I'll have a look.

Cheers, bdc
Sounds like I'll still be looking for a graphing tool tho, as my harddrive doesnt have enough space left to install any sort of WIndows software. :-(
barns_from_oz is offline Find More Posts by barns_from_oz
Last edited by barns_from_oz; May 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
USA, IN, Underwood
Joined Jun 2007
41 Posts
I was checking the individual cell voltage with my powerlog 6 on the balance port like I have done hundreds of times and I got a spark from one of the pins on the I/O port when the batteries main lead accidentally touched it. Now I am getting a low voltage reading on cell 1. It bounces from low voltage up to about what the voltage should be and back to low voltage. Is there a way to fix this? I haven’t had a chance to test other functions yet. Would this cause all the other functions to not work?

Also, what is a good way to check voltage of a 1S battery. I know the powerlog will let you when a seperate battery supplies power, but is there a way using the celllog 8M?
chadew is offline Find More Posts by chadew
Last edited by chadew; May 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
@chadew

Find out the answer from the FAQ on this thread.
driveday is offline Find More Posts by driveday
Old May 23, 2012, 07:04 AM
USA, IN, Underwood
Joined Jun 2007
41 Posts
Thanks driveday. I missed the faq before. Initial test seems to solve my problem.
chadew is offline Find More Posts by chadew
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
google translation
Hello, I have some time this PowerLog, and that puts very useful.
I use it on a quad rotor, measuring voltage, rpm, temperature (3 engine on 4), current measurement is very useful especially when I decided to use large propeller SF14x4 ACP, 7, I knew if not going beyond the current limit (fears quickly faded)
I have just one problem, (I board not looked much either), but when I save the file I load the log Power (file / Save as, and it writes a file. Lov) but it is not good!
When I close and open LogView, and I reload the previously saved file, I is not the correct file (this may be an old file (although I made only one log (logfile1) .
Someone already had the problem?
I think the problem is stupid!
Thank you in advance
Cordially
pascal
pascal 83550 is offline Find More Posts by pascal 83550
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Can anyone tell me (in case I missed it), is there a way to set the low voltage audio alarm on the cell Log 8M to a "trigger" voltage other than 3.0v ?

I'd like to set it to about 3.5v/cell
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,767 Posts
Page 10 of the manual, second last item. The Manual is in post #1 of this thread.

You can set the cell alarm voltage anywhere from 1.3-4.9 volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
Can anyone tell me (in case I missed it), is there a way to set the low voltage audio alarm on the cell Log 8M to a "trigger" voltage other than 3.0v ?

I'd like to set it to about 3.5v/cell
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:28 AM
What's Nitro?
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
THANKS John!

I just set it for 3.85v just to test (still breaking in these packs too).

Once I confirm it works (and see how loud the internal alarm sounds) I'll set it lower.

I'm curious what the "Cell Alarm Difference" is useful for? It's set to 500mV default.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:16 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,767 Posts
That's to pick up badly out of balance pack. If your cells differ by that much you might want to know about it. Chances are you have a bad/dying cell in the pack.

John
Quote:
THANKS John!

I just set it for 3.85v just to test (still breaking in these packs too).

Once I confirm it works (and see how loud the internal alarm sounds) I'll set it lower.

I'm curious what the "Cell Alarm Difference" is useful for? It's set to 500mV default.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:12 AM
What's Nitro?
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
That's what I was thinking it was for.

Thanks.

BTW, can you tell me who has "nice quality" JST XH extensions? I want to mount the CellLog on my heli in a good location and run the leads to the balance tap which may be 6-10 inches away.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,767 Posts
Dunno about the nice quality. I just use the HobbyKing ones. Cheap and the electrons don't seem to mind.
Quote:
That's what I was thinking it was for.

Thanks.

BTW, can you tell me who has "nice quality" JST XH extensions? I want to mount the CellLog on my heli in a good location and run the leads to the balance tap which may be 6-10 inches away.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
What's Nitro?
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
I know electrons don't mind but since I'd be connecting & disconnecting these for every flight, I thought I'd get a decent quality one.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,767 Posts
OK, let's be serious and look at what you actually might get.

The critical parts are the connectors and their attachment. The wire quality is also of significance in this case since you are likely to be flexing the extensions a bit. If you could get extensions made with Si insulated flexible wire that would be great. Some of my batteries have that for balance wires and IMO it is much better than plain ones. Doesn't stress the attachment point to the cell as much and also tucks out of the way a lot easier in the model.

My observation of various JST-XH connectors is that there are some very nasty Chinese copies out there. For example the ones that used to come with the little Hektronix LiPo cell monitors were awful. The plastic would melt with even the most careful soldering. Most however seem to be pretty good. Extensions will be already assembled and using crimp connections or already soldered to the pins so that is less of a problem.

The quality of the connector in the female end governs the resistance drop when they are connected since the contact relies on the spring tension in that one. For simple voltage monitoring in flight it is no big deal since you are measuring voltage only and the current is negligible (although for balancing when charging it may be). Hence the "electrons don't care comment".

Bottom line. I have found the HobbyKing cheapies to be just fine electrically. They vary a bit in wire flexibility from time to time but are adequate gauge and robustness. The wire stiffness would be my main concern. If you do come across a reliable source of extensions made with Si high strand count wire, I would love to know about it.

John
Quote:
I know electrons don't mind but since I'd be connecting & disconnecting these for every flight, I thought I'd get a decent quality one.
Last edited by jj604; Jul 26, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:03 AM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
715 Posts
Powerlog, RPM messurement

Are I'm doing something wrong or is it an issue with my Powerlog? I'm trying to use the RPM function. I choose it in the menu and point it towards the prop in daylight. The only thing happens is it sometimes shows 500-600RPM or zero despite the real RPM is between 7000-12000.
Thanks, Håkan
hakank is online now Find More Posts by hakank
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:05 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakank View Post
Are I'm doing something wrong or is it an issue with my Powerlog? I'm trying to use the RPM function. I choose it in the menu and point it towards the prop in daylight. The only thing happens is it sometimes shows 500-600RPM or zero despite the real RPM is between 7000-12000.
Thanks, Håkan
Hope the following posts in this page are helpful for you:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...055820&page=40

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi