HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2009, 05:19 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Fred,
Actually, the data we get is the average value after doing 40 samples, and getting rid of Vmin and Vmax.
Yes, that's the right way to do it! Keep it like that! I could really not see a use of Vmin and Vmax.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2009, 05:56 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle
I could really not see a use of Vmin and Vmax.

- Oliver
Not even when logging Rx pack voltage?

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jun 04, 2009, 08:51 AM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's the right way to do it! Keep it like that! I could really not see a use of Vmin and Vmax.

- Oliver
I admit that Vmax is less useful, but Vmin could be VERY useful when trying to determine if your plane crashed due to a high servo load resulting in a receiver brownout. Or not.
Chip Geek is offline Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:21 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Geek
I admit that Vmax is less useful, but Vmin could be VERY useful when trying to determine if your plane crashed due to a high servo load resulting in a receiver brownout. Or not.
For this, I would still prefer finer time-resolution. But you are right, if finer time line is not possible, Vmin could be useful. Hadn't thought of that.

- Oliver
Old Jun 05, 2009, 07:46 AM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
Quote:
For this, I would still prefer finer time-resolution.
I agree - but then you will use up the memory space very fast.
Chip Geek is offline Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Jun 05, 2009, 08:32 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Geek
I agree - but then you will use up the memory space very fast.
According to Junsi, speed was the main problem. Maybe we can have both better time resolution and Vmin/Vmax/Vavg for the pack voltage mode where there are less values to deal with?

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jun 05, 2009, 08:36 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
but when it will be available?
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jun 05, 2009, 11:55 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,373 Posts
I just recieved some samples from Junsi for some german testers and me.
This device seems to be well thought-out and useful.
I will use the weekend to figure out all the options and features.

Thanks, Junsi!
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 07, 2009, 12:53 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,373 Posts
Ok, by now I think I figured out most of the features.
Its a bit hard at the beginning, but once the penny has dropped, its quite logical and no problem any more at all.

The first official act of my CellLog was to log my electric bike's battery. It has 16 cells, so I logged 8 cells on my drive to the polling site of the European Parliament election, and the other 8 on my way back.

The attached graphic is a zoom of one log in LogView.
As all cells are within 0.1V of each other, I concluded that my pack is allright.

In my strive to make everything perfect, I have the following improvement suggestions:

As I understand, when one logfile has been used, it is not possible to log using this file any more.
However, the CellLog does not give an error message in this case.
So, if one attempts to do a log, and one accidently chooses a logfile which was not emptied before, no log is made.

My suggestion would be, that before the log starts, the chosen logfile is displayed, and one has to confirm that this file shall be used for the log which is about to happen.
If the logfile has already been used, there should be the options to either overwrite the chosen file, choose a different file, or to create a new file.

Also, in the screen where all logfiles are displayed, the information should be added, whether the file is empty ore used, and if used, the time period of the log should be displayed.

Cheers,

Julez
Old Jun 08, 2009, 03:20 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
In my strive to make everything perfect, I have the following improvement suggestions:

As I understand, when one logfile has been used, it is not possible to log using this file any more.
However, the CellLog does not give an error message in this case.
So, if one attempts to do a log, and one accidently chooses a logfile which was not emptied before, no log is made.

My suggestion would be, that before the log starts, the chosen logfile is displayed, and one has to confirm that this file shall be used for the log which is about to happen.
If the logfile has already been used, there should be the options to either overwrite the chosen file, choose a different file, or to create a new file.

Also, in the screen where all logfiles are displayed, the information should be added, whether the file is empty ore used, and if used, the time period of the log should be displayed.

Cheers,

Julez
Hello Julian,

Thank you for your input. When the user chooses a file, the log data will be added based on the previous data. We really appreciate your suggestion, and will take it into consideration in the next version.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jun 08, 2009, 04:59 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,373 Posts
Quote:
When the user chooses a file, the log data will be added based on the previous data.
A-ha!
Sorry, I must have missed that.
Thanks for the hint!
Old Jun 08, 2009, 11:15 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Cell Log 8S are now available and shipping.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2009, 02:14 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Could someone please give me a brief explanation of the real world applications of this product, ie. in what situations might I find it useful to have a log of my cell voltages which can be downloaded to a laptop?

I can read and understand the spec of the device from the first post and I can see Julez's example graphs and it all seems impressive and whizzy but I'm just wondering whether I'd really use it and where it might "earn its keep" if I were to buy one.
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak
Old Jun 09, 2009, 03:30 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natterjak
Could someone please give me a brief explanation of the real world applications of this product, ie. in what situations might I find it useful to have a log of my cell voltages which can be downloaded to a laptop?
Yo can check how good your batteries are and if you pull too much power. Bad matching (or high quality-variance) will show in differences between cells. To much power will show in steep voltage drop.

But for me, it is not enough. I would love to log some more parameters, too. Most important amperage. I now use a EagleTree eLogger, which gives me RPM, temperature, voltage, airspeed - even gps (optional). I would LOVE to add single cell voltage to that, but single cell voltage _alone_ is not enough. And using 2 loggers at the same time and somehow combine the logs... too much hassle.

Sorry, I will pass this gadget

- Oliver
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:10 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
So apart from showing mismatch between cells, which I can note by looking at the cell voltages when I connect to a balancing charger anyway, no one has any real uses for this device? I think I'll pass then.
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak