SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Mmmmmm, well, I gess the 'dreaded red' would be a worry.

I'll have another go at getting a couple of pics from the past on re. Cyril's model.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2009, 05:51 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Slowly slowly on the old model......Still need to get around to building the new tailplane.
I have done a 'rough' drawing of the model though. It seems there never was a plan......It was just scratch built as he went along.

All the sizes and proportions are correct here, so another could be built.
Old Jun 03, 2009, 10:07 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Have just received a scan of the water slide transfers that came off the wings of the model some time ago. They are 1000 miles south in Melbourne at the moment.
They had been taken off with a view to remaking them in either water slide as original (Most unlikely IMHO) or as self adhesive.
The old photos of the model show the position they were in, so now I have decided to simply print them on to tissue and apply them that way.

The transfers are from the club Cyril and I belonged to in the 50s....WPMAC, West Preston Model Aero Club and the transfer from the 10th Australian Nationals held in Traralgon Victoria '56/'57 for a week.
Old Jun 03, 2009, 11:35 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Here's an even better larger Nats transfer I just received.
All beautiful water slide transfers in the old days.
(My first job was as a screen printer, and we used to do lots of them)
Old Jun 04, 2009, 12:28 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,062 Posts
Gossie, you're doing a great job on the plane, and a great job of honoring your friend...well done sir..
Cash
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:33 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Top of wing now recovered in the same yellow Modelspan Lightweight tissue.
I still have a few sheets of this wonderful tissue probably close to 40 years old.
Water shrunk, then given 3 coats of dope.
Old transfers printed out onto yellow tissue, trimmed and doped in place as the original transfers were.
A thin coat of floor gloss clear to finish off.

New stabilizer and fins built, as the originals too far gone to restore.

Fired up the old Mills.75. It took a while to get it running......Probably 50 years since it had a run?????
Pic shows it running, but the camera has stopped the prop.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:12 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
RCM&E are doing a free plan and build for a 62" oldtimer very,very like this in the current edition...it may even be a RC revision thinking on it.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,163 Posts
Tidy work Gossie, looks beautiful so far.Just the right man for this honourable job. Just a thought- you may want to update the return address as printed on F2
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:56 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Strange thing is I can't get the two pics on I want to from the 50s.
Not to worry. Here's a progress report as it is at the moment.
Re the pic posting problems:

Probably its the file size or type (or both)

Load the picture into a photo editing program, resize the whole picture to 80% and save as a new JPG.

Sometimes you have to reduce size more... work from the original and just use a smaller percentage. If you reduce the one already resized again it will show more errors.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:50 PM
White coated boffin
North East Scotland
Joined May 2009
73 Posts
It's great to see an old model coming back to life, and even better to think that you are honouring an old friend by doing it.

I salute you sir.
rockets is offline Find More Posts by rockets
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:29 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Re the pic posting problems:

Probably its the file size or type (or both)

Load the picture into a photo editing program, resize the whole picture to 80% and save as a new JPG.

Sometimes you have to reduce size more... work from the original and just use a smaller percentage. If you reduce the one already resized again it will show more errors.
Yes, I always resize the pics as my camera takes a 'big' one. Was strange at the time. Don't know why.

Thanks for the compliments guys.......Must get around to covering that stab next week.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:05 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Have pretty much finished the old model.
Not too sure what's to become of it at this stage, but I guess time will tell.
Seems Cyril's only living relative his sister, would have no interest in it, so if we had a museum here it would be a nice place for it.
Otherwise perhaps as an annual trophy for Scramble where it came from?????
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,698 Posts
Gossie, “Have pretty much finished the old model. Not too sure what's to become of it at this stage, but I guess time will tell.”

Very nice restoration job. Nicely done. Perhaps you might make a second for yourself and fly it?

And of course, a beautiful water slide transfer.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:51 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Gossie, “Have pretty much finished the old model. Not too sure what's to become of it at this stage, but I guess time will tell.”

Very nice restoration job. Nicely done. Perhaps you might make a second for yourself and fly it?

And of course, a beautiful water slide transfer.
Yes John, I had thought about that. I have 'scratched' a plan up of it as shown here earlier that could be built off. Mmmmmm, maybe one day?
It weighs 335g/11.8 ounces as is, and being 36in span I feel it's a bit heavy. If I did build one I would build it much lighter than Cyril did by deleting the Warren girder cross braces in the wing and tail as well as choosing the wood with care. I have 4 original Mills.75s in models and also a DC Dart, and they would all fly a lightweight replica with a DT timer well I feel.
I'm sure Cyril purpose built it tough for use in Scramble though. There's no DT on it either, so when and if I fly it it will need to be very early morning.

Water slide transfers?????? Nice thought, but printing the originals onto tissue was and is so much easier in this day and age. And they look okay.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Three years later an update on the old model.

The original 1956 model a couple of years after the restoration was given to a young aeromodeller as a keep sake for him to look after.

I drew a plan from the original whilst the restoration was being done, and recently the rough plan I did was professionally drawn up by a fellow Free Flight aeromodeller and recently it was decided by a committee to use the model at a meet here to be the "Model of the Meet".
The meet is the Veterans meeting at Muswellbrook NSW (Near Sydney) held each year in May.

The plans and a short laser cut kit are now being arranged for those interested to purchase if they wish to.

I have started to build a replica of the original from the plan I drew up, and decided to colour it as the original was.
I am using an original Mills.75 as the 1956 model had in it, but have added a KSB DT timer so there's less chance of my one being lost.

I'm building and flying it as Free Flight model, but at the meet it may have RC in it and any engine that the builder wishes to use.
The model is 36 inches span, so I guess anything from a .020 to .049 in either diesel or glo would do the job nicely.

My model should be finished ready to fly soon so will keep you all updated.