HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2009, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Question
ASP FS61AR Four Stroke in a Kyosho Spitfire 50?

Hi,

I need some advice on a proper 4 stroke for a kyosho spitfire 50. I am looking for a Spitfire model and using a 4 stroke for it. I am thinking of getting the Kyosho Spitfire 50 which calls for a .52 to .56 four stroke. Would a ASP FS61AR be a decent engine to put in this plane? Will it have enough power? How do they run? I saw this spitfire with an ASP FS70 in it on youtube ant it looked and sounded very nice. So far I have only had two strokes and would like to try a four stroke. Does anybody know this engine and can give my some pointers on it together with the combination of the plane? Thanks for the advice.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2009, 02:14 PM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
383 Posts
With a 56inch wing span and 5 1/2 lbs your Spit would fly but wouldn't be over powered with the 61 four stroke. The Kyosho planes are about the same size as the World models warbirds and I fly mine with a Saito 91.
A couple of things that you should consider are weight and prop clearance. a 70 size ASP/Magnum/OS fourstroke is a heavy engine.
I have flown the W/A P-51 with a 46FX, Saito 72 and a Saito 91. All have been fun with plenty of power.
Fred
Red Raider is online now Find More Posts by Red Raider
Old May 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Hi Red Raider,

Thank you for the tips. Would it be possible to use a ASP FS91AR instead or will it be too heavy? I hear a lot of people using Saito engines, but they are a good bit more expensive. What do you Think?
Old May 29, 2009, 07:32 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3hybrid
Hi Red Raider,

Thank you for the tips. Would it be possible to use a ASP FS91AR instead or will it be too heavy? I hear a lot of people using Saito engines, but they are a good bit more expensive. What do you Think?

If you have to fly with a Sanye engine, and there is nothing wrong with that, you will have to use either their .70 or their .91 sizes. That is a huge increase in weight, but it is also a serious increase in power. Power that will be needed if you want your model to approach the same performance that it would have with a two-stroke .50.

If you do decide to go with the ASP .91, be sure to locate your flight battery in its own separate compartment behind the trailing edge of the wing in the fuselage. That will go a long ways toward offsetting the extra weight of the engine. It really should be doable. The last thing that you want to do is to fit the ASP .61 four-stroke in that model. I love my ASP FS-61 four-stroke, but I really can't see a substantial difference in power between it and my .52 Sanye four-strokes.

My absolute first choice for a powerplant for that model would be a Saito .82 four-stroke. But sometimes we must settle for something less expensive. I've been there too, so I know what it is like. Don't let it stop you from having fun.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old May 29, 2009, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Hi Artisan,

Sorry for the late response. I went ahead and ordered a APS .91. I hope it won't weigh down the plane too much. I read a test review about this engine and it seems to produce about the same BHP as a .50 two stoke. Should it have more torque though?
Also what do you guys think would a proper Prop be for this plane. I was thinking about a Master Airscrew 3 blade 13x7? Is that too big? I'm fairly new to all this. This will be my first four stroke engine. Thanks again for the advice.

sp3hybrid
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,044 Posts
..Artisan, I should have asked you earlier. I tried to power a 46 size VQ Sea Hurri with an ASP 61 FS. Flying with this engine in that bird that is only a bit heavier than the Kyosho 50s kills all the fun. I should have got the ASP 91 as well. My buddy has the Kyosho Hien 50 with Saito 82. This thing is fast!
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
Either a 13x8 or 14x6. I like the 14x6 on my 65" wingspan Extra 330L.
panzerd18 is offline Find More Posts by panzerd18
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerd18
Either a 13x8 or 14x6. I like the 14x6 on my 65" wingspan Extra 330L.
I think I will go with the 13x8 then. The spitfire has a little less wingspan (56.7"). Do you think a 13x8 as a three blade propeller will produce too much thrust on idle?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:52 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3hybrid
I think I will go with the 13x8 then. The spitfire has a little less wingspan (56.7&quot. Do you think a 13x8 as a three blade propeller will produce too much thrust on idle?
No, my Magnum 91 idles very low. If it is on grass no problem, if it is on concrete pavement then maybe it will move forward.
panzerd18 is offline Find More Posts by panzerd18
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
very well, 13x8 three blade it is
Old Apr 03, 2010, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2006
189 Posts
I was going to use the ASP61 FS. I thought it would be just right going by the manufacturers suggestions. A 91 is going to be alot more heavier which equates to requiring a faster flying speed (not so scale like) and more stress on the mechanical retracts which after all said and done are not the best in the world. Also a FS may cause to much vibration considering this is both an EF and glow powered plane perhaps a 2st may be the way to go. (OS55 AX coming to mind). anyone any better ideas as I am just ready to order mine and doing what I can on the airframe until I get it. - Easter this weekend so its not worth ordering until next week.
Hope to have some ideas from you guys that have built and flown this model.
ntsmith is offline Find More Posts by ntsmith
Old Apr 03, 2010, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
I have actually just completed the build on mine three weeks ago. I wasn't able to dedicate much time to this hobby last season and also decided to fly a trainer first to gain some experience with nitro models. I ended up not putting the ASP 91 in this model but rather a Magnum 70 FS. Tower has them for a decent price if you apply all the discounts. Fitting the 91 would have required quite some adjustment to the firewall. I haven't fired it up yet, so I cant comment whether it is enough power, but I think it will do ok. You will have to drill out the mounting holes on the firewall slightly to make it fit and I had to remove the flap which covers up the carb (the rubber thing) to get it close enough to the fire wall, but these are just minor modifications. The engine fits nicely into the cowl if installed inverted and the valve cover sticks out slightly on the bottom. I only had to cut the cowl minimally. I attached some pictures for reference (taken in my very messy building room). I am using a MA 12 x 6 three blade for brake in and will probably step up one inch later.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:37 PM
Joined May 2006
189 Posts
I always remove the choke flap anyway as its no problem to draw fuel in simply by placing your finger over the exhaust outlet and turn the engine over. Can't see why they fit them as I cannnot think of another manufacturer that does. I would have thought even the 70 is overpowering this bird as its only 56" wingspan after all and like the real one it isn't meant to prop hang
ntsmith is offline Find More Posts by ntsmith
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
I figured I didn't actually need the choke flap, but it is good to find someone who agrees. Do you think it will be overpowered with the 70 FS? The manual calls for a 40 - 46 two stroke and isnt a 70 four stroke somewhat equivalent to a 46 two stroke? There is a YouTube video of this plane powered by a ASP 70 which is the same as the Magnum (right?) and it seems to fly nicely. It doesn't seem to be overpowered there. It will be a while for me before the maiden since my job currently doesn't allow time for flying
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:11 AM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Nov 2008
76 Posts
sp3hybrid, quick question. I am desperately trying to fit my magnum 70 onto a hanger 9 P-51. Pre-drilled mounting holes put the motor at an upright angle as is common, but it is causing trouble getting the throttle linkage lined up. I like what you did on your spit - mounting it inverted and down.

My first questions is did you have to drill new holes so as to mount the engine mount inverted without the angle? How difficult was the drilling and how are the screws secured to the firewall?

Second question is - because your modified mount points the motor straight down, does this affect the performance on the spit in any way. I have always figured there was a reason why they mount the engines at an angle (counters torque roll?) but does it really matter how the motor is configured. I know that there will have to be some consideration as to the placement of the fuel tank as I believe it has to be at a certain height compared to the motor to insure fuel flow. Have you flown the spit? How did the break-in go? Did you follow the steps in the manual or did you use some other method?

Sorry for so many questions as I am new to nitro as well and a little over-cautious about this $400+ plane that I going to try and fly.lol
Quentus is offline Find More Posts by Quentus