HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2010, 01:39 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
This is what is stamped into the case of my TT.

I think it is W8430 on the LH lug
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:33 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
482 Posts
Quote:
Any ideas on post #1432?
Iīm not sure. The sign looks a little bit like "Engel-Rebell".

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:45 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Thanks Heinz.
Any info on the Engel-Rebell ?
I'll get this one cleaned up and posted. It's still "soaking" in auto tranny fluid.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:32 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
482 Posts
This engines are made by FOK in Hungary for Alexander Engel. Sorry I have no further informations.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Last edited by hastf1b; Nov 21, 2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:57 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Cleaning old engines

Notice John, you are soaking an engine in Automatic transmission fluid. Would be interested to hear if this saves you dismantling the engine. What is the process after the AT soaking? Have a couple of old engines that could definitely do with this treatment. Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:16 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,311 Posts
I too am curious about the ATF. I knew somebody that soaked engines in Marvel Mystery Oil. It didn't seem to do anything.

When I got my ETA .15 it was stuck solid with castor 40 years old. A few squirts of fresh fuel and it felt like the day it was put away.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:44 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
clean and loosen your engine

Bill has the best way to clean engines. He cooks them in a crock pot with using anti freeze (ethylene glycol). Do this outside as you do not want to breathe the vapours. Use an old tooth brush to scrub with.
I am using automatic transmission fluid and acetone in a sonicator to loosen the parts up. It cleans a little, but not as well as Billís crock pot. If I had a 1000 watt sonicator it would probably clean baked castor, but this one is only 100 watts and is too small. There are chemical solutions that will remove the castor, but they may also etch the metal. Laboratory glass ware dish washers (Lancer) use a mild acid rinse. Notice on EBay that old cleaned up (sonicated) engines are often much darker in colour. I have the Merco apart. I broke the head off of the bolt. I think the cylinder bolt has had either an electro chemical reaction or someone used lock tight on it. Itís still in the sonicator. My last bet is going to be heating the case with a torch, but then I may damage it.
Yes, model fuel will free up the sticky engine, especially if you heat it up. Just make sure the bearing are free and clean.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:51 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Bill's supper

What's in the pot?

Hey Bill, what are you cooking up. Tell us what temperature and for how long.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:03 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,311 Posts
I too use antifreeze or heated ultrasonic bath. But, not if the engine isn't stripped. It's just my preference. If using a cleaner for the ultrasonic containing sodium metasilicate be sure to rinse well or it will darken the aluminum. I've heard that vinegar makes a good cleaner for the ultrasonic bath, but have never tried it.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
MP Jet Classic

I ran my MP Jet Classic for the first time this morning. It is obviously tight but I have a question concerning the compression screw. Once it was running the contra piston would not back out allowing the compression to be lessened. Is this something that will improve with running time?
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:11 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Do you mean the screw backed out freely, but the contra piston didn't release?

..and, does the contra release ( with the usual click sound) when you back off the compression while flicking it over before starting?
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
It released when I was still trying to start it, but once running the screw backed out freely like you said but the contra didn't come back up. I haven't messed with it since the first run this morning as we have visitors in. I'll try again tomorrow. What do you think?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Jan 2005
708 Posts
What works for me in some cases when the contra piston will not go up when running is the following. With the compression screw up a bit do some quick momentary chokes on the rear intake with your finger. Too long of duration on the choke and the engine will stop. Some engines this will work on the first try and others may take a couple pulses of the finger. I would not try this on front intake only rear because of the spinning prop. If this does not work try when running to increase the compression a bit and quickly reduce it. This works in some cases. Good luck with this nice engine. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:47 AM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
Thanks Jack; I'll try that.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:02 AM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
For those of you making your own fuel, in the USA, what specific brands of ether are you finding that work. I know John Deere but am having a problem getting it.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260