HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Gluehand, does the ED MK III have roller bearings?
Yes John, roller bearing at rear, plain bearing at front - which is just one of more oddities with this engine....an unusual ED product, on which you could trace resemblance with Comp.Special (cylinder/crankcase) and Hunter (prop driver, spinner), plus a very non-ED front shaft induction at that! Displacement is 2.5 cc.

This example is one of my "future projects", as it needs a carb needle + a timer cut-off arm.
Luckily, I once took measures of these parts, when I had an oppurtunity, so I think I will be able to make copies...also aided by some good close-up photos from the 'Modelenginenews' page....
Apart from this, it is in a good mechanical condition, with just some tidying required...

Alternatively, I might consider trading this engine for 'something else' of interesting nature (suggestions..?), should anyone be interested...(?)

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:43 AM
Birthplace of Aviation
Joined Jul 2003
1,625 Posts
Gluehand,

I have one complete example (serial 3K182/9 made in October 1949) in running order, so if you need more photos, measurements, etc..., just ask.
I never took this one apart, but by the manufacturing date, it must have the roller bearing.
ED engines identification article attached.
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
if you need more photos, measurements, etc..., just ask.
Thanks JMP...eventually I will deal with this project...it may take some time though, as there are too many things queued, and spare time is, as always. in short supply...
Of course I would appreciate all kinds of documentation of the missing parts...

The Serial of my example is 3C132/0 which - if I understood correctly - says that it is made in March 1950.. (?)

On the L/H lug, just barely visible, "TEST" is stamped, in very tiny letters.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:40 PM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Nice txt file JMP - Thanks.
I noted no letter designation for the 2cc "Competition Special".
But both of mine have letter C as first letter followed by the month letter - so assuming the letter C was used for this engine seems correct.
C67/8C and C302/8C
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:03 PM
Birthplace of Aviation
Joined Jul 2003
1,625 Posts
I am no expert in the ED numbering system, but it looks like your 2cc "Competition Special" would both have been made in March 1948, being the 67th and 302nd made that month.
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
My Comp.Special has the serial: H94/52C.
The front housing has 'ED MkIII' in the casting.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,403 Posts
Diesel engine history, SN and ED

RocketRob, thanks for the link. All I can say is “wow” what a collection! Just incredible!

How many “modern” engines have a serial number?

Gluehand, you’ve gotten a really nice discussion going here. Lots of historic information. How about a series of pics on this ED? The more the better.

For our readers, did you ever stop to think what was happening in the 1940~1950 era with modeling? I didn’t arrive until -46, so I missed a lot of this.
I find it amazing that there was sufficient activity to support a model engine facility, not by one manufacturer, but by several. And to top it all off, many different models were brought out as improvements were made. For diesels, all of this, just before and after the “glow plug” here in North America.

Thanks for the info JMP on the ED line.

Great information gentlemen, keep it coming.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:35 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I didn't get into power models until '52 or so, but I still have a Hurricane 24 in my stash; hard to tell if it is converted from ignition or if it came as a glow. I never thought to check for a serial number. Problems with Canadian manufacturers was being overwhelmed by the US imports; out here on the Wet Coast, British squeezebangers were rare, in my experience. Same thing with kits: I have tried without success to find a copy of Model Craft's Mosquito kit, even though it was kitted in 3 different wing spans.

Some day, I will get up the nerve to fly my Baby Moffat by Model Craft, but the legs ain't what they used to be...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:03 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
I admit, I'm a kind of ED freak......so, here are my ED's

The Baby, Bee MkI and the Hornet, are more recent acquisitions, so I have yet to test run them.

The Bee Mk II is bench run, and it behaves in the same manner as my first example that I owned as a kid, some 50 years ago, i.e. an easy starter that runs nice on 7x4-ish props...
Although no powerhouse....a very gentle, user friendly engine.

The Comp.Special is bench run. This too, is a docile, 'friendly' engine, thriving on 9x4 or thereabout.

The Mk III Glow is still a 'project', as I previously mentioned.

The Racer Mk 6(?) is bench run. This is an easy starter, with a fairly good power output, although not quite up to e.g. an AM25.
9x4 props suit this engine well. It throttles surprisingly good with its very crude carb....

The Super Hunter is bench run. Before running-in, the cyl/piston fit was very tight...slightly squeeking at TDC...it dissapeared though...
As most other ED's, even this one is an easy starter. A powerful engine, that runs nice on 10x4 and 11x4.
The exhaust throttle isn't very efficient though, as the back pressure created, leaks between liner and cooling jacket, finding its way out by the cylinder foot + via the head, down the bolts.......i.e. it runs full speed with the drum almost closed, oil running everywhere......I'd prefer a conventional carb on this one, with just an exhaust stub at rear...

The Miles Special 'Viking' was, after run-in, mostly flown in a home designed parasol monoplane of 64" span, on a 12x4 prop.
Again, an easy starter. Throttling is good. This carb even has an air-bleed control.... This engine pulls very good, and I would, power- and use-wise, equal it to an OS40(pre-surpass)4-stroke.

The Miles 'Viking Marine' and the Sea-Lion, I have yet to run. This was a purchase in the early 80's, that I "couldn't resist', as the prices were indeed very low...
Note the rear drum injection of the 'Sea Lion', combined with a rear prop shaft drive...

I involve the Taplin Twin among the ED's, due to its close relationship to these... I once had it "grunt" a little, but I soon discovered a loose press fit of the carb top cover (should I crudely loc-tite it?), plus a couple of other leakages....this is ages ago, though I still haven't fixed it...
A nice, charismatic engine anyway - but HEAVY..

While waiting for me to find more time (...did I hear 'retirement'..?), these ED's are still a great joy for this, never quite growing up, old lad...

Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 14, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:33 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,155 Posts
I do like the look of the ED Super Hunter.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:05 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Forget the "retirement" myth , Gluehand, after 7 years retirement, I am so busy that I have very little time to fly! I know that I could now not find the time for a job, and get quite angry with fellow retirees who tell me that they are BORED! Man, I just wanna smack 'em...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:51 AM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Forget the "retirement" myth , Gluehand, after 7 years retirement, I am so busy that I have very little time to fly! I know that I could now not find the time for a job, and get quite angry with fellow retirees who tell me that they are BORED! Man, I just wanna smack 'em...
This point is very valid. Since retirement I too seem to be even busier that before. Things just seem to pile up until there is little free time to enjoy the hobby.

Retirement for the active individual that still has his health is a joke . We never have time to get bored or caught up. I have actually considered not only specifically alloting the time but deffering other commitments. I cannot see any punishment for doing so down the road. I want to build and fly more.It has always since age seven been an intergral part of my life. It may even have been the item that drove and enabled me to do so many things well. Something to do with putting things together at a young age changed my life for the duration I think.

Before this though I have to finish a new house for our youngest daughter. Shingle a couple of half roofs and repair an asssortment of things around our house. Close up the cotttage. Repair misc things on the lawn tractors.

At least I do not have to cut grass for hours at a time as it has stopped growing. Honor my ongoing part time contract with the provincial government. Attend to some land issues through the courts. Fly out to the other coast before winter with the wife. Keep the cars well maintained and help good friends with all kinds of things. It is tough enough to type this out mind living it.

There is some logic to downsizing and slowing down plus delegating tasks. There is just some mental component there that has blocked the option so far even when affordable. Why some of us resist it is beyond me.

Actually not truly beyond me as it is a remaining component of what drove me in my earlier life. If that component had not existed I probably would be old and bored and in the literal rocking chair by now. So it is not all bad. Life is actually still exciting and challenging.

At sixty eight I almost want to start a new company for the rest involved. Sure I can think about it but as crazy as I am I am not that crazy or mentally imparied. Yet it would still be less demanding than what I am doing now in some ways. Some former employees have asked and assured me all I have to do is run it. Come to think of it I had better get off the site right now and pile the firewood that arrived this morning. Who knows what the wife will want later today. I really need a clone or two.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; Sep 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:35 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Right on, Barry, I am in the same position. My problem throughout my life has always been the same: I need just enough money to survive, and I have enough ideas to keep 3 people constantly busy. Business went well for me, but after awhile it just became too repetitive for me. I like nothing better than to share my experiences and experience (there is a difference, you know) with younger people, as I did when I had apprentices to train. I guess that makes me a teacher, but regimented teaching never appealed to me; knew too many of them who were in there just for the paycheck, and I knew I wouldn't fit.

Just finished my 20x40 steel garage, almost ready to attack my kitchen, Jaguar E coupe awaits assembly. Where the hell would I find time to work???
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:15 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,314 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of the Feb '93 AeromodelLer they could scan? I'm looking for the review of the Irvine 20 Diesel.

The AMA library has all of 92 & 94 but none of 93!
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:34 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
533 Posts
Hi NX211,
I can scan it for you in the next few days, pm me your email if you want higher res than I can post here.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B