HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:14 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
699 Posts
Although not diesel...it used to be. A Mk1 Doonside Mills..discernable from the MkII by the lack of ribs strengthening the crank case.

This is one of a relatively small number that were converted when new to glo. The gentlemans name who did the job I cannot remember so my apologies to him.
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,347 Posts
Mc Giver

Thats not possible , you cant put a glow plug in one of those
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:16 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NX-687 View Post
Thats not possible , you cant put a glow plug in one of those
It sounds unlikely......but even ED did the unthinkable a few times...this is the ED MkIII in its glow version...

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:01 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post

Cheesy is cheesy...

Quite! My objections to Aurora and Enfield are identical; poor material and execution, so that your propstrike might break an Irvine but will break an Aurora. And then the sheer frustration of dealing with them, servicing etc.....it just isn't worth the candle, unless fiddling is your hobby rather than aeromodelling/motorcycling.
Anyway, enough carping, here's my Irvine Mills 1.3 underperforming at 7400 on a KK nylon 8x6 (7k on the ditto 9x4)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post15986516
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Last edited by Chas; Sep 07, 2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: vid
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:42 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Yeah, my .75 had a hand-written not from IvorF, as well as a note covering the manufacture of the 1.5s that I got. At one point he sent me a copy of a news article on his attack on spelling. His idea was to simplify spelling (ritten, for instance), getting rid of u's, and w's in common words. I guess his experience as a teacher promoted his line of thinking. Great guy, one of my heroes, damned if I can remember his real name...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:10 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
588 Posts
Ivor Stowe became Ivor F.
I've never met him, but I was lucky enough to pick up one of his Sesqui diesels in a surprise "buy it now".
A real screamer.
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Sep 08, 2010, 03:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
It sounds unlikely......but even ED did the unthinkable a few times...this is the ED MkIII in its glow version...

The Mark III was marketed as "designed for use as a diesel, Glo-plug, or spark ignition engine". Talk about hedging your bets!
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:22 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B View Post
Ivor Stowe became Ivor F.
I've never met him, but I was lucky enough to pick up one of his Sesqui diesels in a surprise "buy it now".
A real screamer.
Ivor's a top bloke, extremely eccentric but a top bloke none the less. He holds the #1 member number of the MAAA and has donated untold monies to local schools. He has also set up a scholarship, the exact details of which I am unaware of.

His form of spelling never took off but he was (and is) passionate about it.

I think you'd be flat out finding someone who's done more than he for aeromodelling in this country.

The glo Doonside Mills is 100% real, I will try and find the name of the bloke who made them and a number produced.

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:24 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,465 Posts
As said Ivor F, previously Ivor Stowe is a 'top bloke'.
He in now in his mid 80s, proud of it and still active.
I last caught up with him at our Nationals this past Christmas/New Year. It seems he has been to every Australian Nationals held. The first one in 1938 as a spectator.

His 'spelling reform' never took off but he was and still is quite passionate about it.
He stood for local parliament several times but was probably a bit too radical to be voted in.
Talking of 'standing'. He can stand and walk on his hands with ease and stand on his head as well.
When we were all together in Yugoslavia at the World Freeflight Champs in 1985 he was very popular with the Chinese team for doing those tricks.

He had thousands of model engines, but now many have been sold off, and a full collection of Aeromodeller magazine.
I was at his home near Sydney when Sesqui was being produced during 1984. There were dozens of them and one set up on a bench with a flywheel on it. He fired it up and the noise and exhaust was hard to imagine......he claimed it was doing 32,000 rpm.

A true character of Australian aeromodelling indeed.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:49 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
I first met Ivor Francis Stowe in Northam Western Australia in December 1971 at the Australian Nats. He arrived late to the contest, having blown a motor on his BMW on his drive across Australia. He was blowing a trumpet.
The following year I met him in Geelong, Victoria at the Nats. He had changed his name to Ivor F and was venturing into his political phase.
I had the privilege of purchasing a Doonside Mills 0.75 Mk2 - (number 411) for the princely sum of $15. He originally produced a run of 250 Mk 1 motors without crankcase webbing and 750 Mk 2s with crankcase webbing. My Doonside Mills is still going strong and has powered many models. I am however missing the plastic tank.

My meetings with Ivor were (and still are) a highlight of my three years in Australia and I am delighted that Ivor is still as eccentric and active as ever. These are the guys who add the spice to our wonderful hobby.
John
John O'Sullivan is online now Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:14 PM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Ivor?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post16000477
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:57 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Top stuff, thanks for sharing that rocketrob what a great man! ..and what a collection of engines. Respect.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:58 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Too radical to be elected in Australia? That gives one a clue alright! I kept his notes with reverence, as it was an indication of the quality of the man. As far as I can see, I really wonder how the rest of the model engine community could ignore the efforts of Ivor and Gordon Burford: why bother, when perfection had already been achieved? I am really sorry that I sold my collection, including their "beginners" engine (the Tyro?). Great engines, truly great guys.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:05 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
>Although not diesel...it used to be

Mills did actually make a very few glow versions of the .75 for evaluation but never put them into production. I was shown a couple back in the early 70's.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:39 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
Gluehand, does the ED MK III have roller bearings?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R