SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2009, 07:02 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Camera battery...should have 2.
2 batteries hadn't been neccesary if I'd just remembered to charge the thing before use...
...did I hear someone whispering "...getting old..."...?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2009, 08:29 AM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
400 Posts
A lone spark ignition on the diesel page. Tell us more about the Skylark. Where made, vintage, size, rarity? It's a beauty.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Jun 07, 2009, 08:57 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,961 Posts
The Skylark is a Gerald Smith design (to be read about HERE ).
This particular engine is No 8 of a batch of 14, made 1979.
The proud owner that I met at the meeting, purchased it from GS 1981.

There's no doubt about its rarity, only 14 made (as I'm aware of).
I am sure there are people out here that could tell more about this marvellous engine. Not a true vintage engine, but its designer sure is....
I agree...it's a beauty...

Old Jun 07, 2009, 09:03 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,582 Posts
>Tell us more about the Skylark. Where made, vintage, size, rarity? It's a beauty.

Not sure about the 'Skylark' name .. it would appear to be one of the Gerald Smith engines but I never came across one called that. He produced the 7.5cc 'Redwing', the 10cc 'Lapwing' and the 15cc 'Magpie' .. also the very rare 10cc 'Wizard' .. beautifully made engines produced in low numbers in England in the latter '40's and so not often seen. Back in the '70s I had examples of all except the Magpie, prized members of my then collection.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Last edited by Applehoney; Jun 07, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2009, 01:29 PM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
400 Posts
Nice article about Gerald Smith. Thanks for the information.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Jun 08, 2009, 05:43 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,622 Posts
Viking on .15 power.

Gluehand
"The Viking was a popular single channel model in the late 50's. European Championship winner, I think 1958. Wing span 60" This one 3-ch, and powered by a .15-engine".
That's a nice looking model. Glow or diesel .15 (2.5cc)? Did it use 2 needles for speed control? Any idea of the weight?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jun 08, 2009, 10:51 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHiner
I have an Enya .41 four stroke diesel. What looks like a glow plug is just a dummy plug with no element. Just wish the four stroke had a compression adjustment. Jack

Mine ran the first flip out of the box. If I'd never seen a compression adjustment, I wouldn't wish for one.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:01 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Is it the Dalotel -Viking the plans are available from Nexus in E flight version very pretty scale aerobatic aircraft.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:31 AM
Joined Jan 2005
717 Posts
RyanNX211, my Enya .41 four stroke diesel took about 12-13 flips to start first day out. I let it cool down between starts 5 minutes or longer. Always took around 12 flips of the prop to start with Zinger 12/7 prop. The temp that day was in the upper 40's F. Stock out of the box and Old English Mix fuel. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Jun 09, 2009, 01:30 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Gluehand
"The Viking was a popular single channel model in the late 50's. European Championship winner, I think 1958. Wing span 60" This one 3-ch, and powered by a .15-engine".
That's a nice looking model. Glow or diesel .15 (2.5cc)? Did it use 2 needles for speed control? Any idea of the weight?
John,
The Viking seen at the meeting saturday, was powered by an ordinary .15-size glow engine (..didn't see what make...). Apart from the elevator, 2 more modifications were made: The detachable top hatch was omitted, and the dihedral was reduced, although it didn't seem to have affected the flyability. It was very stable and gentle in turns, and showed no bad tendencys...maybe due to low wing loading. I would estimate its weight to 1.2-1.3 kgs, compared to the stated 1.6 kgs of the original, carrying old rc-gear.

The Viking was designed by Erik Berglund 1956(-ish), and become quite famous 1958, when EB won a European Championship with it (in Germany, I beleive...)

It is worth noting that Erik Berglund also was the designer and manufacturer of the popular single channel radio "Tele-pilot", with its very special rudder actuator "Gyron", working by centrifugal force (shown on the Viking plan).
The trick was to pulse the button in various tempos, thus keeping the motor revs so that the rotor kept the rudder around neutral, or either side of it (!)
No push = full left, constant push = full right.
This was not as crazy as it may sound....with some practise, many modellers developed great flying skills using this equipment, virtually as it was a "proportional" one... The Tele-pilot radio was a big seller here in the early R/C-days. Another noteworthy thing: The transmitter case was an alloy lunch box (!!), drilled and painted...

Back to the Viking: As the plan shows, it was mainly intended for .15 sized diesels, the AUW was about 1.6 kgs (facts shown on the catalogue sheet)
Not quite for beginners, it became very popular among the more experienced modellers, and for many years to come - an ideal test bed for the more advanced rc-equipments that eventually showed up on the market.
Somehow a timeless model, now having a kind of "cult" status over here...

Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 09, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2009, 05:42 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,706 Posts
Gluehand, you got me day-dreaming... ... and one never knows where that may lead to
Such a nice model ! It did have me dreaming at the time (I built my first radio in 1963 - single channel, copy of the Graupner Bellaphon Tx/Shumacher Rx schematics - about 60 meter range - plane adjusted for a wide left-hand turn so as to come back in control range after a complete circle... - I did make an amateur career as a cross-country runner at the same time, guess why ...).
In the late 60's or early 70's, one of our national modelling heroes , Pierre Marrot (He came second to no less than Phil Kraft in the 1967 R/C Aerobatic World Championships in Ajaccio, Corsica, flying his own desgn "Styx" model powered with a Rossi .60) had his own brand of radio control systems called "Radio-Pilote". He offered a single channel pulse system using a very similar actuator to the "Gyron" you show.
It just occured to me that a model fitted with such an actuator could easily be converted to fly with a regular modern digital radio (even 2.4 GHz, why not?) by connecting a normal brushed ESC to the rudder(aileron?) receiver output and feeding the actuator from it (maybe with a suitable resistor in series...) . Also, why did the plan show a rubber band for the rudder, why wasn't a spring of some sort incorporated directly in the actuator ? Ah, maybe the actuator could only pull, not push... And finally, why not another on the elevator channel ? What do you think/say ?
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Jun 09, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2009, 06:31 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,622 Posts
Thanks Gluehand. The Viking does have very nice lines. The top view on the plans really makes the size of the wing stand out. More than I would have guessed!

I think Vintage1 made mention that old timers, to be considered as such, might be as late as 1954…..? Maybe 1956 might just make it in?

Now, what’s going to be the best little diesel for the Viking? I can live without the throttle on a small diesel, so there are many choices.

Speaking of throttles, it looked strange, but I slipped a Perry carb onto an old Frog diesel (rear intake, 3.5) using a short length of tubing. It stuck up and out like a sore thumb, but it did work.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:09 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,706 Posts
The Vintage Radio Control Society (VRCS) says :

" WHAT AIRCRAFT ARE ELIGIBLE?
(Revised and Effective 1/1/08)

Any model airplane that employed radio control and was kitted, published or flown (attested to by the builder) and falls into one of the following classifications:
Pioneer: Prior to January1, 1955
Classic: Prior to January 1, 1965
Nostalgia: 35 years old prior to the first of each calendar year. "

Maybe the Viking prototype was actually flown by Erik Berglund before January 1, 1955?
That is for Gluehand to find out and report
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:37 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,511 Posts
Seen at last year's St. Albans Vintage Meet
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
717 Posts
RyanNX211, looks like a Laser .80 four stroke diesel?
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner