HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2009, 04:30 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Kiwi/Nev I bet, those links I found took me on a journey to some of the most exotic and expensive , jewel like engines I ever saw - a 5 cylinder radial diesel for instance I'm still trying to work out how you would set it all running perfect.
The first Taifun I ever saw was on E bay about 7 years ago and I was amazed by the streamlined shape and iridescent pale blue anodizing. My first thought was of Art Nuvo design.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 30, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2009, 03:02 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot
Another thing to watch when starting an engine after long storage is that the gudgeon pin may be stuck to the conrod by old castor oil. In that case, the pin is forced to rotate in the piston, which is not good. Always make sure the conrod rotates on the gudgeon pin before using the engine.
Blackfoot, I think this is exactly what started the problem with my Dart.
These engines were all factory test run, to establish the correct comp.lever setting with a specific prop (as a help for beginners).
Meaning that all the NIB engines are gummed up with old castor oil !
Obviously I failed to clean the small end thourougly before I started to use the engine. In case of the Merlin all turned out just fine.
My Dart No2, as well as the Spitfire and Sabre are still unrun, and still gummed up from the factory run....I have to be careful here....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old May 31, 2009, 03:20 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
Does that include larger engines? and glows?
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old May 31, 2009, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks
Does that include larger engines? and glows?
Probably this was common practise for all Davies-Charlton engines.
(assuming, without actually knowing..)

Also, when purchasing some ED-engines, later versions, directly from the (then) still existing Electronic Development Ltd, they were all factory test-run, pre-set, and subsequently gummed up at arrival. Apart from the DC's, these engines were also quite oily externally, sticking to their plastic bags... Beeing BB engines, de-gumming and cleaning was a somewhat more demanding task on these.
Last edited by Gluehand; May 31, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:18 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
OLIVER TIGER 1,5 ccm

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old May 31, 2009, 04:35 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Heinz, what a beauty !! The "Ollie" is one of the undisputable kings of diesels (there are a few, topping the list...)
Nice photos..!
Last edited by Gluehand; May 31, 2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Here is a long-stroke Frog 100 MkII, plus article.
Enjoy !
Last edited by Gluehand; May 31, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 11:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ruislip
Joined Mar 2007
108 Posts
Seeing this thread reminded me I had a couple of old diesels in the loft, sadly when I went to look around I could only find one! My little Merlin is AWOL

The one I did find was this little PAW 149 RC with a lovely little silencer. I remember using it in a Keil Kraft Phantom CL at some point with some wire to rig the throttle. The needle valve assembly looks a little bent and a screw is missing from the head but it still turns over. I ought to spend a bit of time with it and get it working again.
rk295 is offline Find More Posts by rk295
Old Jun 01, 2009, 02:13 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
rk295, your PAW 149 brings out some memories.... ....I have a similar plain bearing (iron bushed) 149 RC with lots of runtime...

Initially it spent quite a few hours in the nose of a 2M glider, a Blue Phoenix.
I fitted an extra silencer, silver soldered of thin brass sheet, aft of the ordinary one, and I've heard electric motors noisier than this one.
This was the model that once made a dive and dissapeared behind the trees quite far away, after losing the radio contact. I switched off the transmitter, put it on the ground and started walking in the direction of where I last saw the plane. After 10 steps or so, the Phoenix suddenly appeared again over the trees, in a steep climb.. ...running back to the transmitter, switching it on, I had contact again and was able to fly her home with shaking knees... ...I beleive this will only happen once in a lifetime...

Next model for the PAW was a home designed cabin model, 54" span, with side mounted engine. I think it weighed just below 1 kg (no micro rc-gear available by then...). It was a very good flyer, yellow/red with wheel spats....memories...

This is a good engine, rk295...find the missing bolt and make a "project".....

With some luck, even your Merlin may materialize when you least expect it...
Old Jun 01, 2009, 09:35 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
>find the missing bolt and make a "project".....

Definitely! A missing bolt reminds me of a contest when a New York flyer (now, sadly. deceased) and I were both flying PAW 1.5 models in a contest. He lost a head bolt from his on a check flight so we made our flights alternately, swapping a bolt from my engine to his .. and back again ... and to his ... and so on.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jun 02, 2009, 06:56 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
Valentine Cox 15 Diesel

Thanks Airboatflyingshp for bring these jems to view. All I can say is “wow” . These are all works of art. Like a kid in a candy store, I want one and that other one, etc…

http://www.ronald-valentine-engines.com/84_Cox_15.html

Cox 15
Here are some of the custom made Valentine Cox 15 diesel engines that have been modified over the years.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ruislip
Joined Mar 2007
108 Posts
Gluehand and Applehoney you are both correct. I think I'll keep it out rather than return it to the loft, that way I'll feel guilty that it isnt in a airframe whenever I see it

After the piper is done I'll try to find it a proper home.
rk295 is offline Find More Posts by rk295
Old Jun 05, 2009, 03:11 AM
love croppys
Coolgardie western australia
Joined Mar 2006
183 Posts
This is my latest a enya ultra 11cx diesel and a great little runner
musterpilot is offline Find More Posts by musterpilot
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Our local club arranged a meeting on the theme "C/L & Vintage" taking place today.

Not too crowded, but weather was fine.
Among many impressions, I had the pleasure to hear a Rivers 1.5 cc singing in a superbly built T/R model...also, there were a Corda Powerhouse, Slicker 50, Viking (a Swedish "all time great" from 1956), etc flown.

Worth attention was a very nicely built and well flown Monocoupe, about 40-42" span, built from an old Aeromodeller plan, powered by a throttled Webra 1.5 cc diesel.

A lot of old and/or interesting engines were displayed. The most spectacular test run was that of a Dynajet , that almost teared our ears off...

So, where are all photos, you may ask.....unfortunately the battery of my camera was a bit tired, but I managed to take a few pics before it definitely said good night....

Old Jun 06, 2009, 09:50 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
very nice

My, but what a big tease ! All those engines together and not a single individual shot of each one!
Great pictures and old engines. Any more information on them. they look to be 0.02 cubin or less.
Camera battery...should have 2.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R