HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:55 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Gluehand (and others) - an article on Jan David-Andersen appeared in a MECA Engine Collectors Journal. Can send scans if you would like.
I would be grateful...!
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:11 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
new Oliver Cub

Looking at the right side view, then the left side view of the engine, what is in the exhaust port, as they do not appear to be the same.

From http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9423306/tm.htm

gmedson posted the following regarding the “new Oliver Cub”.

“I received my Oliver Mark II Tiger Cub from Tom Ridley/Clint Hill Engineering. See pics below. It is a real jewel! Excellent fits and finish.

Compression is excellent, with a bit of pinch at TDC.Connecting rod is unbushed at either end but closely fit on the wrist pin and crank pin so that the oiled engine has no detectable play.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:14 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
No guesswork this time......these bits belong to the ED Miles Special (Viking) 5 cc.

Like the ETA previously shown, this piston has top/bottom sealing areas too.
This is a very good practise, as it prevents the piston from beeing worn to "barrel-shape". The same advantage if used on long bearing bushes.

I have only seen this feature on the ETA and ED, but of course I havent seen them all....

And yes, there is a bronze-bush at big end too (not visible on this photo).

Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 30, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Looking at the right side view, then the left side view of the engine, what is in the exhaust port, as they do not appear to be the same.
Mmm, do I see a slotted piston here......in order to provide some sub piston induction.....
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:01 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Gluehand, it might be a slotted piston, but what I think I see is the slot opening with what appears to be a piston top showing. It looks more like a restriction in the exhaust area, but then that doesn’t make much sense with the radial exhaust porting? Anyone else with the OT Cub that can help us out?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:04 PM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
415 Posts
Just found this thread today, one engine I thought notable by its absence was the enya 15d from the late fifties. I bought one with the earnings from my 2 paper rounds.
It took so long to run in it was incredible and the change from needing running in to being run in was almost an immediate process after about 3 hours of stuttering for 5 to 10 seconds it suddenly came alive.
My chum and I had skystreak 40s (remember them?), he had the only oliver in the club I the only enya anyone had ever seen ( god bless you bud morgan) the enya had the legs of the olly, remember these were motors being run by 14 and 15 year olds.
It still outperformed it when I turned to combat, my success was short lived as a line cut sent my plane into the trunk of a nearby scrub oak and it literally destroyed the front end, I was absolutely heartbroken. I could never get another one, then or now, the shop I bought it from (bud morgans in cardiff) apparently had the only one he ever got (or did he gull me?)
I never viewed the old engines with rose tinted specs and sold all mine, bar 2, at the 2004/5 nationals. I sold an ed bee mk1, ed hornet, ed super fury, 2 x ed racers, am 10, PAW 19 a couple of old unidentified diesels and bought 3 new saito 82as on the proceeds. The bee made best money, the racers made good money and I'm pretty certain none of the motors, apart from the PAW, went for under £40. BTW I also sold a couple of newer motors that bulked up my takings.
I have another hornet that's missing a few bits and an irvine 20 diesel, I only run the latter as a glow motor as the amount of crud that comes out of the exhaust (as a diesel)defies description I wonder why as a glow it's nowhere near as manky.
The worst diesel I ever had was by d-c which I traded for the ed bee mentioned above, the best was the either the irvine or the paw.
I
Braddock, VC is offline Find More Posts by Braddock, VC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Blog Page 21
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:30 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddock, VC View Post
It took so long to run in it was incredible and the change from needing running in to being run in was almost an immediate process after about 3 hours of stuttering for 5 to 10 seconds it suddenly came alive.
About "first engine" running in:
Recalling: The engine was slowly beeing run in, and likewise slowly my engine skills were growing - and somewhere along the road, the two met.....and the exact point of this happening, I will never know...

Welcome to the thread, Braddock !
Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 31, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
743 Posts
Braddock, I remember the late 1950's Enya .15 diesel well. Some members of the Joliet, Illinois R/C club flew models with this Enya .15 diesel. I had a Super Tigre G.30 diesel at that time. Later when station at Misawa, Japan USAF base the locals flew U/C combat with Enya .15 diesels. Probably a later version the the late 1950's Enya diesel. Good engines. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:13 PM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
415 Posts
Hi Jack, I was in Kobe during the mid 60s and spent a helluva lot of time looking for a hobby shop to try to get another 15d, never even saw one of our hobby shops but saw plenty of other sorts.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2010, 03:55 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
I had an Enya .06 D in the early 60's. A good engine in most ways, but the reed valve didn't last too long....
Couldn't afford a .15 D at the time, but eventually I started building one from spares, and I kept it for many years 80% complete. Unfortunately those last bits were extremely hard to trace, so I traded it away before it was completed.
I still have a .06 D (with non functional reed valve) though...

Old Feb 01, 2010, 04:40 AM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
415 Posts
Gluehand, the one I had, after hitting the tree trunk, had the crankshaft and bearing housing pushed bodily back shoving the rear of the crankcase out too, IIRC.
Somebody whose name and face I can't remember offered a swap of a diesel with a downdraft carb on which I grabbed despite my distraught state. He's probably still got those parts tucked away somewhere. I can't remember any more of the damage as the remains of the plane went in the trade but I think the needle valve was ok as was the cyl head..
BTW the elfin, as I think it was, was shot and I didn't bother getting spares to repair it. It sank without a trace in several housemoves, marriages etc which was unusual as I still had most of my diesels up until I sold them.
I think enya have started selling them again but I'm sworn off of diesels now, far too messy even for an old oily rag like me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2010, 05:37 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
I had an Enya .06 D in the early 60's. A good engine in most ways, but the reed valve didn't last too long....
Couldn't afford a .15 D at the time, but eventually I started building one from spares, and I kept it for many years 80% complete. Unfortunately those last bits were extremely hard to trace, so I traded it away before it was completed.
I still have a .06 D (with non functional reed valve) though...

I had an O9D wich was a sweetie in a well presented case,i used it on single chanel stuff.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:05 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
In the lucky event of finding a new reed valve for my .06, I'm sadly aware that it wouldn't last long, so I'm thinking of making my own valve setup, hopefully more long lived....but it isn't topping my list....one of my "retirement projects"...
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,144 Posts
DC Bambi - How Much!!!!

I was searching for a picture of the DC Bambi 0.15cc diesel engine on the net. Somebody sold one on 'the well known auction site' for £421 GBP late last year . In the mid-late fifites they cost less than £6 GBP. That's what I call an investment (thought I'd share my amazement!).
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:09 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,615 Posts
>enya 15d from the late fifties.

I had a 15D in use in F/F back then and it was a fine engine that I still yearn for. I sold it to a clubmate when switching over to glows a little later .. he still owns but won't part with it even though having been inactive in modelling for about 45 years since. His Olivers, either.... sigh

I have no recollection of it being slow to break in, revved very well on an 8x4 and gave as good a performance as a similar model powered with a Oliver. However the one drawback was that a quick start and launch into good air wasn't as easy as with the Oliver, which would burst into life instantly. The Enya would spit and splutter for an appreciable time, slowly gaining rpm's as it warmed and then finally come into full song in its own time - no way could any adjustment hasten this process.

I hear since that the Mk1 is prone to shaft failure but of course I never experienced that problem. Its new owner substituted it for an Oliver and pulled the wings off his airplane .... for old time's sake I sure wish I had it back!
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney