HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2009, 11:19 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,753 Posts
Smelly cantankerous things, old druids used to mount them on stands and run them at the field just to prove that they could. I had a couple of McCoys that used to vaporize the teflon contra piston o-rings. That burrrrp,burrrrp sound was kind of reminiscent of rotary engines though. You really need three hands to start them. Just kidding!!!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2009, 11:47 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand
JMP_blackfoot , thanks for sharing your experiences with your Darts. This confirms that I did right, not hasting with assembly. I will take this info into consideration before I do anything about mine....
Another thing to watch when starting an engine after long storage is that the gudgeon pin may be stuck to the conrod by old castor oil. In that case, the pin is forced to rotate in the piston, which is not good. Always make sure the conrod rotates on the gudgeon pin before using the engine.
Go here for a discussion on this problem:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3555861
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; May 29, 2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:26 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,658 Posts
Quality, Czech style

MP Jets are (were, they are not made any more, alas) really high quality engines, and they perform as well as they look.
The Ball bearing 1cc was given to me with a broken crankshaft. I was lucky to find a spare at Carlson Engines (I think he may still have the glow version in stock). Too bad I can't seem to find a spare R/C carburettor or two for these engines...
The 0,6cc Letmo reproduction is also a nice engine, although this one, which is true to the original, is not so easy to mount in a model. The "classic" version with side lugs is much easier in that respect. Runs and behaves very well, though.
These MP Jets are a real pleasure to handle, to look at and to actually run and use.
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; May 29, 2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:31 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,658 Posts
Quality, Japanese style

This Enya 25 Diesel may be the best quality engine in my collection. It is destined to a very special model I hope to find time to build one day. It absolutely oozes quality and perfection in manufacturing. I haven't dared run it yet.
Find a report here : http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual..._SS_Diesel.pdf
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; May 29, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:26 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Barry Try a piece of tube to make an addapter coller to match each dont damage either part ......... at a push silicon joiner pipe might work???

In stock form the little blighter just picks up its skirts and howls in a most sporting FSR fashion for its size, and will tick over just got to get the interface right
Clive
if you come up with the right combo/part Id love to see it in action.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 29, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:35 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Blackfoot my mate tells me that enya now produce a 4stroke deisel anyone had their mitts on one?

Pics should have gone on prev post oops
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 29, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:53 AM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
I have an Enya .41 four stroke diesel. What looks like a glow plug is just a dummy plug with no element. Also an Enya .25 two stroke diesel. I have added a tommy bar and locking lever for compression adjustment to the .25 engine. Both well made engines. Just wish the four stroke had a compression adjustment. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old May 29, 2009, 08:07 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,548 Posts
Barry,
I used a CS 061 R/C carby on my Mk17, they can be gotton from B&L Hobbies.
And some of my other diesels, The PB .33 R/C is a true example of a craftsman at work an excellent engine with first class fits and finish no compromises,next is an MPJet 061 R/C ballraced , MPJet .040ci Classic.
Bottom row is 1.3cc Indian Mills R/C , McCoy 049 , JENNA 1cc twin ballraced with front side port induction .
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old May 29, 2009, 03:12 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Jack just a wild card idea but could adjustment not be achieved via cap screw in the place of the dummy Plug? My davies diesel head uses that set up instead of a Tommy bay ................... or are you too attached to your fingers? You would need to make up a special angle Allen key and contra piston that would allow for the sliding contact push pull......... easier to start with a new head probably.
Old May 29, 2009, 04:51 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Gluehand, those engines desire a better picture, at least one for each, Dart, Merlin, Spitfire, Sabre, and Rapier.
Here goes....close-ups of each one.

I have removed the spring starters, as I think they disturb the true look of the engines...and I have no use for them. I did save the parts though.

The Merlin is so far my favourite. A very sweet running engine, and its size and weight is perfect for all those small "Vic Smeedish" models, originally designed for the Mills 75.
This example was used in a "Mini-Eros" for a while. Eventually I gave it away, luckily keeping the engine... I regret I only purchased one Merlin, as there were several available from a Swedish importer in the early 80's....

Note that the Spitfire outweighs the Sabre by 2 grams, due to the thicker liner....a less practical 1 cc - if you don't need the nose weight...

On the air intake of the Rapier, above the spraybar, is an "extra" hole...."provision for an extra spraybar"...hmm...for what...?

A nice and colourful group of engines, reminding of past golden years...making me recall those full-page ads in the magazines, late 50's - early 60's, etched into my mind... ...I hope to use them all, sooner and later, seeing that beautiful anodising fade in a gentle and natural way...
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; May 29, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
50 years old and still brand new

Gluehand,

Nice pictures of great little engines. They all look brand new! The info on the instructions also shows the early prices...I guess we all should have saved up more as kids. But then that was still a lot of money back then.

"On the air intake of the Rapier, above the spraybar, is an "extra" hole...."provision for an extra spraybar"...hmm...for what...?"

I had a K&B .15 with 2 needles, spray bars, one above the other. It gave a 2 speed engine, the second spray bar giving more fuel and a rich run. Not very good, but a high and lower speed setting. Had too pinch the second fuel line for "high". Perhaps the start of an early throttle, could be the same on yours.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
On the subject of colourful little jews of motors am I correct to mention the name Taifun.........if Ive got the spelling correct?

http://www.model-aero-engines.com/st...s,Motor,Motors)

http://www.ronald-valentine-engines.com/

Caught my interest seaching to check my memory
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 29, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:44 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Barry Try a piece of tube to make an addapter coller to match each dont damage either part ......... at a push silicon joiner pipe might work???

In stock form the little blighter just picks up its skirts and howls in a most sporting FSR fashion for its size, and will tick over just got to get the interface right
Clive
if you come up with the right combo/part Id love to see it in action.

Great Ideal that I should have already considered. I was not going to butcher the rear engine plate by modification for fit anyways. The russian vendors selling parts engines would have sold me a spare plate for this approach. They seem to have no current activity on the ebay diesel listings unfortunatly. As everyone should be aware prices have escallated nicely in the last year on ebay for model diesels.

There must be thousands of these engines new in boxes still in Russia. I had heard reasonable things about the mk 17 over time as well. They were 20.00 new on ebay for quite awhile. I should have grabbed a few more. That hind sight thing again.

It is reputed the earlier ones in the larger plastic boxes are superior to the later production versions in the smaller boxes. My earlier version came with a green prop, venturi size change sleeve and a few other things.

It is also a decent looking engine and not too poorly finished. Especially compared to many soviet diesels. If it had an exhaust collector it would have been mounted on a plane by now. I guess I could make one of them as well come to think of it.

My thanks by the way. You have reinforced my belief it might carb well.

I will just have to retire from my constantly ever busier retirement to get some of these projects done I guess.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old May 30, 2009, 03:45 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,390 Posts
Ahh Clive, thanks for bringing up Taifun, my first ever engine was a Taifun Hurrikan, a Christmes present from my parents (beat the hell out of a pair of sox!).
Built Ron Moultons C/L Rascal for it and learnt to fly C/L on it at the local park. Happy days.
Have recently built another Rascal for a PAW 149 but am yet to maiden it.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old May 30, 2009, 04:13 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
I still have a DC Sabre. It was the nicest starting, easiest handling, most docile and controllable model engine I ever had. a complete joy. I haven't run it for 33 years.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress