HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 05:08 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Yes, with no problem; some had previously run on castor also, before The Enlightenment.
I am still working through a huge shipment of Red Max (FHS - never could work out the acronym!) and I believe they use Klotz.

I recall there were huge rashes of seizures, poor runs etc when people first started using synthetics (UCON) on glow engines previously fed on castor; I suspect these were because of lower viscosities and people leaning the engines out more.

Why do you think your engine ran hot on synthetic?

C
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:32 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,418 Posts
Which engines are you running?

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Dec 01, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Diesels? :-

Irvine Mills .75
Irvine Mills 1.3
DC Merlin
AM15
CS Oliver Tiger
PAW 80 Plain and BR
PAW 149 TBR
PAW 249 TBR
PAW 19 TBR
PAW 35 TBR
PAW 60 TBR

Only synthetics used on glows as well; eg., ex-castor OS Max III .15 R/C
Enya .09
OS 35 FP
Enya .19 and .35 Bushed Bearing
my favourite! OS Max .30 RC

as well as the usual ST 51 (ringed TBR), LA .46 (ABN bushed), LA .65, assortments which have been used on synthetics from the start.

I have to admit the PAW .35 TBR seized lightly on me during run-in; (I managed to back the compression way off when I heard it labouring). I think it was over-propped with an 11x6 for break-in - my bad.

C
Last edited by Chas; Dec 01, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:15 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,418 Posts
Which diesel blend from Redmax uses synthetic?
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:02 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
None, now - I think they quit making diesel fuels.
When they were making it, they tried to pitch the anti-castor Gospel* on their site, but of course they were howled down by torch-bearing mobs.

*PS

From RedMax site:

"Oil is 100% superior Red Max Synthetic unless specified otherwise, FHS recommends maximum of 2%Castor on Syn-Cas blends."

and

"AA Castor Oil - We sell this mainly for those people that want the old fashion (sic) stuff, but our FHS synthetics are far superior in all respects.".
Last edited by Chas; Dec 02, 2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Rudity
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:18 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,418 Posts
Are you saying your were buying diesel from Redmax with an all synthetic lubricant?
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:45 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,177 Posts
PLEASE, OH, PLEASE Lets not cock up this thread with another of those synthetic V's castor debate. Most of these diesels are old. At the time the manufacturers recomended castor.
Brian Winch has his own ideas, he is not the last word in anything.Tragically Airborne & some UK magazines have become little more than a nauseating Brian Winch personal diary, in which every review is the same & by his own admission he's a grumpy & ungenial person at the field.

If you want to talk castor/synthetic please take it over to the engine forum.

Back to the topic please.
Snorks is online now Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Dec 02, 2009, 12:01 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,418 Posts
This is not a debate about the merits of synthetic or castor. Neither one scares me. I'm just trying to get some facts from probably the only person running straight synthetic oils in lapped engines. I've never heard of straight synthetic diesel fuel supplied by anyone.

Anyone here running an AE 0.1 CC? I finally got mine out to try. After a bit of fiddling got it to burn off the prime. But it looks like the factory needle isn't tapered correctly and it won't pull fuel until the needle is out of the metering orifice.

Greg
Old Dec 02, 2009, 12:26 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,177 Posts
I think one of the 90's Aeromodellers had a useful article on running the smaller AE's successfully.
Snorks is online now Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Dec 02, 2009, 12:32 PM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
236 Posts
But it looks like the factory needle isn't tapered correctly and it won't pull fuel until the needle is out of the metering orifice.

Something doesn't sound right. If you take the needle out air will be sucked in down the hole.Any very small engine needs a carefull touch to get it 'on song' but I have heard several AE.1s running well so this can't be a general problem.
Is your fuel supply at the height of the needle valve or perhaps slightly higher? You can't expect a .1cc engine to suck fuel any distance.
John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Dec 02, 2009, 02:15 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,418 Posts
The AE 0.1 and 0.2 have integral tanks. I've received some information about the needle and it seems mine is defective. There is virtually no taper on the needle (0.1mm). The engine has other problems in general so I'll be reworking things before attempting to run it again. I acquired it second hand, but new.

Greg
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:19 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,754 Posts
Chas, I really like your suggestion to , “I used to preheat all of my ABC engines for their initial run by using a heat gun - the piston was noticeably easier to turn over after such treatment and it saved knocking”.

I acquired another “toy” and it seemed frozen (no pun intended), so a little heat was in order to warm it up. I put on heavy gloves, got out the heat gun and oil, and had it free in about a minute without having to strain any parts.

I was checking over my big PAW, never run. I’ll get a few pics posted. What size bolts did they drill the lugs for? They aren’t any bigger than a 4-40 bolt.

Dieter, those are great looking little engines. As one might say, you made Cox proud. The only trouble now, is no one else has any.

Snorks, right on.

Gkamysz, any pictures of an AE 0.1 cc? That’s smaller than the 0.01 Cox.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
As one might say, you made Cox proud.
An accolade delivered at Marlene Dietrich's obituary, I believe.

John, I mounted by PAW with 6BA bolts - I am sure there will be better fits now.

I am sure my Red Max is 100% synthetic because even after six years there is no precipitate - it is gin clear - and no castor smell. I persist with the oil topic just to re-assure that lapped engines are fine with synthetic. With the high-end PAWs, though they be lapped, castor is a disastor because of the ballraces.

C
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:55 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
I remember glo engines smelling like racing bikes..castrol R I assume, and gumming up bad, but diesels? I am sure they didn't smell castorish..what was in the yellow and green cans we used to buy in the 60's?

I do recall the smell of the amyl nitr(a/i)te tho. Sort of stale sweat smell. Yuk.

Anyway, who needs fuel? everyone knows diesels run on a wing and a prayer..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 02, 2009, 09:01 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post

Gkamysz, any pictures of an AE 0.1 cc? That’s smaller than the 0.01 Cox.
It's in pieces right now. I'll put it back together and take some photos before the surgery begins.

Greg