Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:44 AM
Newbee
Mornington Vic
Joined Mar 2010
163 Posts
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Homebuilt diesel, from a magazine plan ? Could do with some info.
Hi Reginald
I just got one of these in a bulk lot, it runs but rattles a bit.
Barry
kakariki is offline Find More Posts by kakariki
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:53 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,120 Posts
Reginald, I like that homebuilt diesel marine engine. That is pretty neat.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:01 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakariki View Post
Hi Reginald
I just got one of these in a bulk lot, it runs but rattles a bit.
Barry
Can we see a picture ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:03 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Can we see a picture ?
Yes quite a simple but original shape, I do seem to remember having seen the plan in an elder British magazine.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:02 PM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Even more wierd variable compression system

Quote:
Three different excentric compression diesels
As you have posted pics of eccentric-shaft-bushing engines, how about the Speed Demon for a strange system. This 5cc diesel from the USA has a blind bored cylinder so it cannot have a moveable contra piston. Instead it moves the whole cylinder liner up and down to vary compression. One picture shows a genuine Speed Demon stripped down. The other shows my own version scaled down to just 2cc as I wanted a flyable engine, and I don't fly 5cc diesels. My version ran very well. Most ask about the effect of the port timing altering as the cylinder moves, but the same of course applies to the eccentric-shaft-bearing engines
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,955 Posts
This homebuilt engine of unknown origin is basically a fixed compression diesel.
You can however fine adjust the comp.setting slightly (≈ 0.4 mm) by the eccentric bush.
To fine tune, you loosen the clamp screw, then rotate the shiny ring right behind the steel propdriver....

I wish I knew who made this engine....

This engine has a number of odd features, described (among 'Watsits') at the Ron Chernich site.
So far no clue on its origin has turned up....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:25 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,616 Posts
Ken, that is absolutely superb!
The top of the liner seems to be drilled... Have you got a push-pull compression adjustment, like on the original?
Here's one of my originals blasting away in the snow, a couple of weeks ago (Jan. 20, I think).
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:39 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
Nice diesels shown above.
Hang onto them.

Collectors are getting carried away

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Oliver-T...item257ad8a0b2

You can still buy a new one from Tom for half this asking price.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:03 AM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Ken, that is absolutely superb!
The top of the liner seems to be drilled... Have you got a push-pull compression adjustment, like on the original?
Here's one of my originals blasting away in the snow, a couple of weeks ago (Jan. 20, I think).
Thanks for your kind compliments. Yes, the top of the liner has a blind drilled tapped hole for the end of the comp screw, which itsself is trapped [but free to rotate of course] in the coolong fins. So it is a true push/pull setup. The 1/16 dia pin in the top of the liner is to stop it rotating. You will also notice that I have a gizmo in the top fin gap to stop the comp running back which it would tend to do once the engine warms up. I like odd-ball engines!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:19 AM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Nice diesels shown above.
Hang onto them.

Collectors are getting carried away

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Oliver-T...item257ad8a0b2

You can still buy a new one from Tom for half this asking price.
Very true but that Olly on eBay looks to be brand new in box with papers, and as such has been worth a lot of money for many years. Yes you can buy a new Oliver, but it is "continued production" and not made by either of the John Olivers. If I was still a collector I know which I would rather have. An original Mk III Tiger takes me back to my teenage years when they cost 12 each, which was more than a week's average wages, and they were on an 18 months delivery. In those days the Oliver Tiger was the most powerful 2.5cc engine on the planet with its 0.32 bhp, and it was the engine every manufacturer was trying to better for power output. Those were the days. A brand new Oliver made yesterday is just that, a new engine with no soul.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:08 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,616 Posts
Ken, unfortunately, I agree entirely...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:20 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,773 Posts
See where you are coming from Ken; it all depends upon whether you want something to put in a glass case and look at or something to fly a model aeroplane with! I could never be a collector of anything, just for the sake of having a collection, but I appreciate that some people are - vive la difference!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:27 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
See where you are coming from Ken; it all depends upon whether you want something to put in a glass case and look at or something to fly a model aeroplane with! I could never be a collector of anything, just for the sake of having a collection, but I appreciate that some people are - vive la difference!
George, for me, the best is to play with, use and fly as many super old engines as possible. If you follow the diesel threads, it's very obvious that many old diesels are far better than most of the stuff produced today. Tom Ridley's output is probably the only commercial exception. Other than that, there are a few superb one-offs or very short runs, produced by people like Ken, David Owen, Lumir Polednik or Mike Crisp, and the rest, IMHO, is Russian and Chinese rubbish. The problem, as ever was, is that a good diesel is fairly labour intensive and just can't be made cheaply.
As I said, I agree with Ken, but I also agree with you. I couldn't be a collector just to gaze at the stuff. I'm only a collector in that you have to possess (collect) engines in order to use or just play with them. Unfortunately, there's no word for the hobby of "playing with old model engines"! But my hobby, in addition to vintage planes, is exactly that... playing with old engines.
I'm going out into the garden right now, to run and old Maraget and a couple of old Super Tigre diesels. Superb!
RCG Plus Member